Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triumph Thruxton

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Triumph Thruxton

Hi All

I've just taken delivery of my Thruxton 1200 and managed to put some 150Kms onto it last night. Initial thoughts are broken down as follows:

Engine

Ruddy lovely. In deference to the running in instructions I didn't venture above 4k Rpm but the motor's a real step forward from the air cooled 865 Thruxton I owned 8-9 years ago. Smooth too and it sounds good, even with the standard pipes fitted. Nice pop and burble on the overrun too which I like. A lot.

Ergonomics

Unsurprisingly very similar to my previous Thruxton. Almost sports tourer in where it places you and leaned forward but not extremely so. It's better for open road riding as opposed to round town type activity but doesn't feel uncomfortable for me. I'm 6'00". The only negative is that the rear of the fuel tank, where the cut outs are for your legs, is too narrow. This makes it a little awkward to grip the tank with your knees. Triumph could have made the tank a litre bigger and given you a bit more to hold on to. It's only 14 litres after all.

Chassis

Mine's the standard model so has the normal way-up forks and preload-only adjustable rear shocks. I'm quite happy with this and the ride seems to be a good balance between firmness and reasonable ride comfort. The brakes, whilst being normal two piston calipers, seem to be fine to me. I also found out that the ABS works too...

Looks

As always this is subjective. However I think it's pretty close to being perfect. A small Dart flyscreen (On its way) will help too.

Other stuff

IMHO the standard bike isn't $5.5k worse than the R model. I also like the colour of mine (Mettalic emerald Green or BRG with a modern twist depending on your viewpoint). The modes and TC are welcome additions but once I've set them I suspect that I'll leave them alone. Incidentally I bought the bike from New Plymouth Motorcycle Centre who were good to deal with and only too happy to help.

Does anyone else have a Thruxton on here? What do 'ya reckon to it?

Bike
    Sold
    Stick the photo up Lee, it looks bloody sensational with that paint job!

Admittedly, I grew up in the era of the original Thruxtons and will cheerfully admit to bias, but some bikes just look "right", and your Thruxton is the perfect example of that. Hard to define - maybe the proportions, maybe timeless elegance. Just love it. Congratulations mate, that's a keeper!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    There we go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thruxton.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	793.4 KB 
ID:	333575  

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    I strongly prefer the look of the non-R model, especially the colour choices (the green and the white in particular). If I recall correctly when they were first released the price difference was smaller, something like $2.5k. At that difference I would have had a hard time choosing, as the R gives you quite a bit more in the brakes and suspension department. But at $5k+ I definitely think I would look at the non-R first, particularly with the gorgeous fairing.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I strongly prefer the look of the non-R model, especially the colour choices (the green and the white in particular). If I recall correctly when they were first released the price difference was smaller, something like $2.5k. At that difference I would have had a hard time choosing, as the R gives you quite a bit more in the brakes and suspension department. But at $5k+ I definitely think I would look at the non-R first, particularly with the gorgeous fairing.
    Mike

Yep - I'm with you. They're actually including the fairing in the price at the moment. Mine's in the box you can see in the background - I may fit it myself at a later date. Besides the colour the standard simply suits my riding better too. I can vouch that the standard suspenders do a good job on 'Normal' roads and the performance is the same. $5.5k is a big chunk of money - Too big for me in this case. I'm looking forward to many happy Kms on this beauty.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Wow, that looks nice, can you get rubber knee grips for that awesome looking tank? I would soon wear that nice paint off, I must grip the tank tighter than I realized judging by the scuff marks appearing on my own fuel tank.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Wow, that looks nice, can you get rubber knee grips for that awesome looking tank? I would soon wear that nice paint off, I must grip the tank tighter than I realized judging by the scuff marks appearing on my own fuel tank.
    Clear 3M anti-scuff plastic film, either in gloss or matte. I had mine applied professionally to various parts of my matte grey GSX-S 1000 and you'd be hard pressed to see where it's been applied.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Very nice, congrats.

Cheers

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Nice colour indeed. I agree it's good value compared to the full fruit $5.5k version and a hard sell to step up that amount.

Running it in - it's a big twin - don't baby that engine. You'll do more harm with lazy rpms than the occasional exploration into the higher regions.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Nice colour indeed. I agree it's good value compared to the full fruit $5.5k version and a hard sell to step up that amount.

Running it in - it's a big twin - don't baby that engine. You'll do more harm with lazy rpms than the occasional exploration into the higher regions.
    Ah yes - The old 'Running it in' question. Ask 10 different people and you'll get 15 different answers...

I've started going up to 5k Rpm, only whilst going through the gears, and will gradually increase that over the next few hundred Kms. I've always subscribed to the 'No extremes' method. That is no extreme heat, extreme low Rpms, no extremely high Rpms and no full throttle. Interestingly the book says 'No more than 3/4 maximum engine Rpms' during the first 800Kms where as the sticker on the tank, now removed, stipulates more prescriptive Rpm limits. Bear in mind it redlines at 7K anyway with 3.5k being 100 Km/hr in 6th so there's not much limit to one's riding now.

Took it for another spin last night. Lovely!

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750 SD 2007 Buell XB12Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    There we go.
    Lovely looking bike. A pity about the false carbs though.

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries
    Bloody congrats. You got the most beautiful color, but them I'm biased. It's a beautiful bike to look at and ride.

I took off the sticker on put it on the garage to remind me of the limits and I stuck to'em. It doesn't take long to rack up the required K's to fully ride it in.

I found that the stock suspension and brakes are more than good enough, but here's some mods to consider if ya ever want to start thrashing it a bit harder.

Tec Alloy Gas Shocks & Progressive fork springs
    Tec "De-CAT" X-Pipe.
    Fully floating front brake rotors & 4 pistons Brembo Titanium calipers.
    Oxygen lambda o2 sensor eliminator kit
    Triumph Thruxton 1200 Pod Air Filters.

The stock pipe makes a nice sound and the Vance & Hines pipes are worth the extra cash, but the sound from X-Pipe and Pod Air filters will wake up the neighbors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180224_101713 (2).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	335482  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Bugger the neighbours.

motorcycles should breathe.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    Lovely looking bike. A pity about the false carbs though.
    Amal Monoblocs that you don't have to tickle....perfect.

Mr Spank Me, how about a bit of review?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Amal Monoblocs that you don't have to tickle....perfect.

Mr Spank Me, how about a bit of review?

Nah - I'm with Graham - never been a fan of the fake carbs - everyone knows they are fake.

It's like packing a full kg of salami down your trousers before going to the night club. Fake.

Thread Information