Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Splitting headaches

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I don't lane split, I lane filter. I was riding in QLD when lane filtering became legal. I lane filter only between stopped or slow moving traffic, if I'm not passing anything at 40 km/hr I pull back in to the lane.

But I see those lane splitters go by on the Southern Motorway at 80 km/hr or so, weaving from side to side of the gap between the traffic, and wonder how many of them come to grief. But I have never seen a busted up bike on the side of the motorway, so they (or most of they) must get away with it.

On the other hand I saw some F*WIT nearly have two accidents with the same car on the Southern motorway within the space of 15 seconds. He was in the inside lane and started to move out into the centre lane, right into the side of the car that was right beside him. He suddenly realised that he was just inches away from something bigger, heavier and harder than himself and braked hard and pulled into the middle lane behind the car. He then looked over his right shoulder (as he should have done in the first place) to check whether there was anything he should avoid if he moved over into the centre lane. The car in front of him had to brake, he looked back up just in time to avoid modifying the car's boot and disappearing over it's roof, and veered into a small space between two cars in the centre lane. I was a few cars back in the centre lane and instinctively touched the brake in the expectation there'd be broken motorbike and motorcyclist on the road in front of me.

So it's not just the lane splitters that worry me, there are some real dimwits out there.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...knit one...pearl two...another cup of tea Vicar...

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    When I was riding to work, I used to follow a cop on his BMW Police bike. I invariably lost ground to him as he split faster than I did on the C50T.

I came across a few bikers knocked off and not looking too well. Back then, 7 or so years ago, fewer bikers split at high speeds, unlike now. As per my OP, my concern is that most of the high speed splitters are displaying L-plates. So not very experienced to start with.
    A very possible concern re the l plate except that, there are riders who have had l plates forever. They are also possibly likey to do this type of riding twice a day commuting so their experience in this type of traffic is possibly higher than a lot of more seasoned riders.

...its ok though i took my own advice and have almost finished a hanging macrame pot plant holder

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    When I was riding to work, I used to follow a cop on his BMW Police bike. I invariably lost ground to him as he split faster than I did on the C50T.

I came across a few bikers knocked off and not looking too well. Back then, 7 or so years ago, fewer bikers split at high speeds, unlike now. As per my OP, my concern is that most of the high speed splitters are displaying L-plates. So not very experienced to start with.
    The adage of "there are old riders, and there are bold riders, but no old & bold riders" comes to mind

Bike
    KTM
    people learn best after crashing a few times so I figure the dudes who split like mad-men just need a little more education

it'll happen naturally

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Learning by crashing works, to a point (the point at which death becomes you).

Learning from your own mistakes is great, provided you recognize dangerous situations and diagnose them properly ... which takes experience.

Learning from others' mistakes is much less painful, much cheaper and almost as effective.

Learning from courses is on a par with that, with decent instructors and plenty of practice.

Learning from books works well for some, and advice from competent mates is OKish.

Learning from the Road Code or the laws is for lawyers and learners, not bikers with licenses.

The real point is to learn, actively, deliberately, all the time, as much as possible. Preferably without actually dying to make a point.

Thread Information