Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protective gear write offs

Bike
    bike

Protective gear write offs

I just dropped $1400 on a helmet and a couple visors, and they're coming from the US. The entry fee and gst fee from nz customs is estimated at $250.

Is it possible to write off such an expensive as "protective gear for commuting."

I own a small business (annual income less than $75,000NZD) and travel back and forth from the bank quite a lot.

I remember speaking to a tax attorney a while ago who said that gas money or other commuting expenses are not deductible, as well as 'business clothing,' however protective armour/gear is a grey area.

I've also looked at some online websites that say business clothing is non-deductable "WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PROTECTIVE GEAR."

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Bike
    A
    The acronym you're looking for is PPE.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    But is it required for discharge of your duties at work or commute to/from work.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Have you talked to customs?

In the past, motorcycle clothing which was "protective" was not charged duty...

Just saying...

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Have you talked to customs?

In the past, motorcycle clothing which was "protective" was not charged duty...

Just saying...
    its still charged gst tho

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    nigga all yo shit is deductible. go and punch that lawyer in the mouth.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    its still charged gst tho
    True...

Had done the "entry fee" + GST = $250 thinking that the GST would be $140 [forgot to add 5% to the 10%] and entry fee would be $110 of which some might be duty that could be reduced... D'oh...

Should be GST at $210 + entry fee [approx $40] so guessing no duty being charged...

Perhaps the OP should be talking to IRD about his GST...

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    FWIW my new motorbike protective gear came in and got charged the 5% duty for clothing. About 2 months ago.
    I didn't quibble because I couldn't be arsed.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    You need a better accountant. I assume you have a PCBU basic OSH policy, just edit that to tell yourself you have to wear safety gear while riding bike on business time/work.
    I was amazed at all the stuff my one claimed. Just receipt and inventory everything.
    Also from memory any item under $500 is an instant tax writeoff/expense even if its a long term capital asset that doesn't really wear out eg $400 camera tripod.
    So when buying stuff, time/spread purchases or individual recepits to score on that front too.

What the hell is a tax attorney??? all you need is an accountant. My one used to work for IRD so really knew his stuff.
    Just remembered had some embroidered shirts/caps/beanies to self promote and claimed on those no worries.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    have times changed that much, all my clothes were farm clothes and claimed both GST and tax on em, haven't been self employed for a few year now tho.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Some pretty bad advice in here. In all likelihood none of your motorcycle gear is tax deductible, unless you fulfil some pretty specific conditions (which is unlikely). Yeah a bad accountant will let you take the deduction, but that's just shonky work from someone who doesn't understand the fiduciary duty.

I'm an accountant. I don't do tax work any more, but this stuff is pretty basic.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    i claimed a wetsuit once upon a time

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I'm a motorcycle instructor. I'm expected to model safe motorcycle gear to my clients, so my accountant treats it as a flammable expense.

Interested in your thoughts.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I'm a motorcycle instructor. I'm expected to model safe motorcycle gear to my clients, so my accountant treats it as a flammable expense.

Interested in your thoughts.
    Totally legitimate as a deductable expense in that case Though I'm guessing "flammable expense" was a hilarious error.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I think the OP should up his GST estimate a bit. His figure is OK for a start but then there’s the MAF charge and the Customs charge for charging you GST, and the GST on that charge. You get the idea.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information