Thread: Molesworth Road

Bike
    all sorts

Molesworth Road

Anyone know if this is open all the way through yet?
    I heard there was a big washout recently near the Hamner springs end ...
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I haven't seen any mention that it is ... but ring Molesworth station and ask ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    From the DOC website.....

20 September 2017: Molesworth Road: Clarence Bridge closed due to flood damage
    Due to a major flood event at Molesworth, the road approach to the Clarence bridge near the Acheron Accommodation House has been washed out. There is no access available over the Clarence bridge presently.

Work to repair the extensive damage is due to start on Monday 20 November. Phase one of the work will focus on getting the road re-opened and it is expected this will be early to mid-December.

The Acheron road is OPEN from the Blenheim side but there is no access through to Hanmer Springs. During the period of the works it may be necessary to restrict access down to the Acheron Accommodation House and road users are requested to follow all road signage and any instruction from staff on site.

From the Hanmer side, the road is open to the confluence amenity area only, however there may be construction traffic using the road.

River users should be aware that machinery will be operating in the river channel adjacent to the Clarence Bridge, from the 20 November onwards and should avoid this section of river during this time, if possible.

Reviewed on 15 November 2017.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Was closed to Hanmer last week, I only rode about a hour past the sealed section. Probably better off phoning them.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    I was there last week and Acheron bridge still broken. Diggers nearby. Rainbow access only to motorbikes as there is a locked gate but a gap left for cyclist and motorbikes. Hells gate completely gone.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by thepom View Post
    I was there last week and Acheron bridge still broken. Diggers nearby. Rainbow access only to motorbikes as there is a locked gate but a gap left for cyclist and motorbikes. Hells gate completely gone.
    There must have been some improvement in the last week, as four days ago I spoke to a fellow who that day had brought a commercial tour of 4WDs through from SH63 to Hanmer without any problems.

He thinks that the Rainbow Road will open publicly for the summer season on Boxing Day. Molesworth, though? No definite date, yet.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    There must have been some improvement in the last week, as four days ago I spoke to a fellow who that day had brought a commercial tour of 4WDs through from SH63 to Hanmer without any problems.

He thinks that the Rainbow Road will open publicly for the summer season on Boxing Day. Molesworth, though? No definite date, yet.
    If I recall correctly, from the rainbow road there's no crossing of the clarence, so if you can get through you can get to hanmer.

If the clarence bridge is broken, there is still the option of the sedgemere track when it's open from molesworth to the rainbow road, can highly recommend.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Hope its all set for the Burt...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Hope its all set for the Burt...
    Any update?
    I'm looking at taking my DR650 down to the Burt and want to go through Molesworth & Rainbow for a bit of fun.
    I'll be crossing the strait on the 31st so I'll have a bit of time to get to Invercargill which means I'll do a little exploring and having fun.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Any update?
    I'm looking at taking my DR650 down to the Burt and want to go through Molesworth & Rainbow for a bit of fun.
    I'll be crossing the strait on the 31st so I'll have a bit of time to get to Invercargill which means I'll do a little exploring and having fun.
    Went through 2 weeks ago. All good. Both roads in very good nick unfortunately.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Thread Information