Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a power downgrade?

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650

Taking a power downgrade?

I recently sold my Speed Triple solely because I want to try something totally different. Problem is I'm worried about taking a big downgrade in power, and whether I'll really regret this decision. I'm looking at getting onto something significantly lighter, like a Duke 690 or a supermoto like the KTM 690 SMC, Husky 701 or even a more raw supermoto like a 500EXC or WR250X with road wheels.

Has anyone here got experience in moving onto a much lower power bike? Any comments/suggestions?

For a bit of background, one of the main reasons I'm changing is because I've got an 8-month baby boy now, so I'm doing less full-day and multi-day rides, and I don't expect to be taking my wife as pillion for the next few years. I likely won't be doing any more track riding. So I've got an opportunity to get a bike that's focused on solo riding, and would like something I can have fun with on shorter rides and slower speeds.

Bike
    Sold
    I went from a Blackbird to a Street Triple. The reasons are probably a bit different from yours in that I'm older and wanted a lighter bike with better ergonomics. Even so, I'll happily admit that at the time I worried that stepping down in horsepower was maybe a bit unmanly. Or as my wife put it less delicately - suffering from little willy syndrome. In reality, I couldn't have been more wrong. The superior handling more than made up for the lower horsepower and in fact, the power to weight ratio wasn't a lot different. I found that my outlook shifted from enjoying riding fast to riding well. It was also helped by retiring and moving permanently to the Coromandel where absolute horsepower is pretty much irrelevant. I'm sure you'll enjoy a motard-type bike in the twisties just as much if not more than the Speed Triple. Fitness for purpose and all that good stuff.

Bike
    brmm brmm

Downgrade

Fitness for purpose. I've just downgraded from a CB1300 to a Ninja 300. The 300 is gutless in comparison , but it's just as fast/faster through the Auckland traffic for commuting because it fits through narrow gaps easily. It won't however be of use for 'fun' at weekends like the 1300 was. Spec the machine on it's primary purpose and you'll be OK. Moar power is always moar fun tho.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I have a Street Triple as a road bike (though I use it for everything - track days, touring, communting) and thought I would get a Yamaha SR400 as a "cool" commuter/town bike. I liked the bike but hated the lack of power. The kicker was getting dragged off at the lights by a fat bitch in a shitty old Ford Coon.

So I sold it. The big issue is that if you are riding in traffic you need sufficient power and sufficient pep - if you filter to the front of a queue you want to be able to get to where there is clear air around you which is safer than being surrounded by cunts who are trying to kill you.

I rode a HD Street 500 earlier this year for a couple months and I really rate it as a commuter/town bike.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    As long as you realize the smaller bike will be fun in different ways you will love a motard. I love my fat slow DRZ400sm for its handling and speed through twisties-quite different to my Busa! The Tards are less fun on open straight roads but chuck in some corners, kerbs, roundabouts and even commuting and they are so much fun. Will require a mindshift.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Many take pleasure in riding a slow bike fast ... and take pleasure in showing up riders on their "fast" bikes ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I'm riding my R1200RT for work. I have been for many years. Does everything, comfortable, tours well.

I'm lusting after an F800ST, as I've had 2 in the past, and miss them both. There's one on TM at the mo, so tempting.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I went from an SV1000 to an R3 and it's bags of fun. I took it around the Coromandel yesterday, it was an absolute blast.

As others have noted, smaller bikes are fun in their own way. They're great in the twisties, and it's fun being able to accelerate hard out of corners without risking loss of licence.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    As long as the bike has a lot of low down torque you should not find it too bad. The only problem that I have found with going to a lighter bike is you can get blown around more in side winds.

Rarely do we agree, but here in Canterbury, lighter is worse in the incessant summer winds.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I'm riding my R1200RT for work. I have been for many years. Does everything, comfortable, tours well.

I'm lusting after an F800ST, as I've had 2 in the past, and miss them both. There's one on TM at the mo, so tempting.
    Similar to RC, I normally ride my R1200GS, but a couple of years ago I hired an F800GT (not too far from RC's desired ST) in Scotland and spent a couple of weeks two-up touring on what has now become known as the North Coast 500.

Relatively light, relatively comfortable, just enough power. We had a great time and didn't wish for a bigger (heavier, more powerful) bike.

That said, earlier this year we hired an R1200GS Rallye, also in Scotland, and then spent three weeks touring in the mountains in Europe. Longer days, higher speeds - that, too, was the right bike for that purpose.

As stated above, the right bike for the right reason is the one for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	333725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	333726   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	333729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	333730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	333727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	333728  

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I haven't done what you are contemplating but have been considering it for years. (And years.) I have also talked to some who did it: one, GSXR750 to KTM Duke, and another who switched from a series of big Duc sprotbikes to a Husqvarna motard. They both sought out different roads on their new bike. It won't take you long to figure out that the motorway is not the natural home of the bikes you mention.

Also my worry, it might pay to allow a bit more space for overtakes until you get used to the different power characteristics?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    went from a RF900 to a xtz125 --- only miss doing 200kph+ on the roads every now and then when my brain has fallen out other than that, the xtz has taken me more places, a lot cheaper and I can throw it off a cliff and will just start up and take me home (there is a lot to be said for a bike you have no fear of dropping, can go some wicked places)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It won't take you long to figure out that the motorway is not the natural home of the bikes you mention.

Also my worry, it might pay to allow a bit more space for overtakes until you get used to the different power characteristics?
    Yup, limited HP means careful planning for overtakes.

Which means higher corner speeds, higher revs and bigger grins. I'm surrounded by deliciously twisty roads and love riding my G/F's 230cc 2t. It's light, very, goes like a cut cat and encourages questionable riding behaviour. Literally a pain in the ass on the main highways but potentially uncatchable in the twisties. Smaller bikes are soooo much fun on the right roads!

I have another, quicker, 2t in the shed I was going to put on the road as a Motard but have decided against it. I want to be a better rider not a bigger asshole and the wee bikes really impact my behaviour.

Must work on my discipline.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    My bikes have been ZZR250 - ZX7R - ZX10R - 990SM - R1200GSA. I've never dropped capacity, but HP yes.

After the ZX10R I needed a change to prevent more trouble. Test rode a 690SM, too ring ding for me (I'm 6'3 105kg). The 990 didn't have me wishing for something faster as I needed to slow down, but it was a different kind of naughty being a total hooligan toy. Mate had a 690SM, rode the 990 and pretty much came back

The 990SM actually started the shift to adventure riding, and wasn't well suited, so got the GSA, which is awesome, but I never commute on it (it would be like taking a superbike to a go cart track). Fitness for purpose and all that, and I've found 100-120HP is my sweet spot. Much more and I'd get into trouble, less and I might get bored.

Bear in mind that the same power can be delivered differently. The 990SM was around 115? crank, CB900 is around that, GSA probably similar. All have delivered power very differently, giving different rides.

edit: I've ridden a fair few singles now, and haven't liked a single one, so it may explain why I've barely considered them. If do you like em, then keep them as an option?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I recently sold my Speed Triple solely because I want to try something totally different. Problem is I'm worried about taking a big downgrade in power, and whether I'll really regret this decision. I'm looking at getting onto something significantly lighter, like a Duke 690 or a supermoto like the KTM 690 SMC, Husky 701 or even a more raw supermoto like a 500EXC or WR250X with road wheels.

Has anyone here got experience in moving onto a much lower power bike? Any comments/suggestions?

For a bit of background, one of the main reasons I'm changing is because I've got an 8-month baby boy now, so I'm doing less full-day and multi-day rides, and I don't expect to be taking my wife as pillion for the next few years. I likely won't be doing any more track riding. So I've got an opportunity to get a bike that's focused on solo riding, and would like something I can have fun with on shorter rides and slower speeds.
    I reckon my first post was not particularly helpful, my wee bikes are quite frenetic and you have to really focus on your riding to keep your momentum up which can give me the red mist. 20 years ago (the age of my bikes) 45hp / 135kg would get past a lot of cars. Not now.

I guess the question is, and you hint at it. What kind of riding do you really enjoy?
    The SM's and my 2t's have quite a narrow focus, they want corners and throttle. If you want something a bit more practical and comfortable, the middleweight twins are great bikes. More comfort, better range, fewer sharp edges / more refined, but still really good fun.
    Summit to think about, anyhoo.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information