Thread: Sidecar suggestions

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob

Sidecar suggestions

Hey guys, Feb 2013 I had a dream to get a sidecar built for my rickety and quickly aging body and also enable me to pick up my grandkids from school once they start, I had nearly two years before the eldest one started.

I now have two grandkids at the school, one will be starting her 3rd school year after Xmas and the other her 2nd, I am still no closer to having the chair up and running than I was nearly two years ago.

I have spent a few thousand so far on getting (hopefully) an appropriate wheel and tyre, shocks, two different fiberglass bodies to play with and had a chassis designed and built by Roger Stent.

Unfortunately Roger is tied up with other projects and of course road sidecars, the chap working on the fiberglass body has had an unexpected baby arrive and also has too many other commitments.

I don't mind paying someone with the necessary skills etc to finish building and setting up this Oh so long project before this old man is too old to actually enjoy it.

Sadly I don't have the skill set or knowledge to finish it my self. If you know of someone willing to have a look at it please let me know.

Main areas are finishing all the attachment points, guard and skirt for chair wheel, fitting body and lights indicator etc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1863c.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	749.3 KB 
ID:	333786

Name:	IMG_2895.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	805.6 KB 
ID:	333785

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    cool!

sorry can't be much help. i did hear tell, once, of a guy in Wellington who knew a thing or two though...but that's all i remember.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Dave Lett in Wanganui maybe, Roger could probably put you in touch with him but he may also be busy with road race sidecars
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Dave Lett in Wanganui maybe, Roger could probably put you in touch with him but he may also be busy with road race sidecars
    Dave & Roger live directly opposite each other, so he should be able to put you in touch.
    Another bloke in Wanganui that's pretty handy with that kind of thing is Colin Tate of Tate Engineering.
    Ron Rees from Rees engineering would be worth a yarn too.
    They're both top blokes & into bikes big time.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Roger could probably put you in touch with him
    considering they live opposite each other that may well have been done.

Bike
    Cheers guys,

I will have a chat to those guys you have mentioned, ideally Roger is the man I wanted to build it from start to finish, but I am sure he will be able to give some input to who ever steps up to the plate.

Bike
    suzuki
    what about mr roberts?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what about mr roberts?

Yea I had thought about Steve, I actually thought about going to see Willie as well. I have a few people to go see now, admittedly I hadn't given Dave Lett a thought, even though we raced together along time ago., He wouldn't have to walk far to fraternize with Roger, lol

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Well after 7 years with lifes interesting hic-cups in between the sidecar is finally on the road, certified and very enjoyable to drive.

I am keen to improve the suspension and have started with Hagons on the rear, these were made for my W650 carrying a 95kg rider and 70kg pillion full time (165kg total) so with the heavier springs which came with 3 preload settings, softest setting seems about right, as my weight is around the 100-110kg mark.

I have taken the outfit and had it weighed with myself onboard in full riding gear.

Total weight was 420kgs

weight on each wheel
    Front wheel was 140kgs (stock bike curb weight 97kg)
    back wheel was 220kgs (stock bike curb weight 115kg)
    sidechair wheel 60kgs

After deducting riders weight, 20kg of sand ballast in the chair it determines the (subframe, sidecar and all fittings is (75-80kgs) which is just a tad over the recommended third of the bikes 212kg kerb weight. so am happy.

Hoping to work out what fork springs needed for the increased loads? the factory fork suspension is based on average rider weight of 75kgs. I wish, lol.
    Then I will see if we need to change the horizontal chair shocky, probably needs to be divided gas chamber shocky.

Bike

Name:	IMG_2768 (2).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	609.2 KB 
ID:	346767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2773 (2).JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	657.9 KB 
ID:	346766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2895 (2).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	808.2 KB 
ID:	346764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2876 (3).JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	624.2 KB 
ID:	346765

Thread Information