Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't Cassina as it goes against the Woodhouse principles, and further turns ACC into an insurance company. Those who create accidents should be charged by Police. If found guilty, they lose licenses and their vehicle insurance is affected. Anything else with ACC opens up the possibility of victims being charged more.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    You guys have it all arse about face.

ACC never used the MLC riders kill themselves argument. They were more concerned that MLC riders cost more because they didn't die. They got injured, and they cost more to rehabilitate - a) because, well, older folk take longer to come right and b) us 50+ riders earn more than some young squid does, generally.

Something is wrong here. I said it on the steps of Parliament to hundreds of bikers a few years ago and it's still the same. The government would not ever think of charging women more for ACC because they are more likely to be victims of sexual assault. But still bikers are penalised for being victims.

Sorry for the rant. It's been coming for a while.
    Hi Riffer

I think we agree about the statistics.

In terms of the message:

"National road policing manager Superintendent Steve Greally said it was "certainly commonplace" to come across victims who had taken up motorcycling in their later years after coming into some extra cash and had a bit more time on their hands, forgetting that they're a bit slower and the machines they're riding are a lot more powerful." http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11767690

"ACC’s Carey Griffiths, Senior Injury Prevention Programme Manager (Motorcycles) [said] “The disturbing feature of these deaths is that the majority involve male riders all over the age of 40. ...This highlights a real issue that we are dealing with. It concerns older male riders who are overly confident and often riding bikes that are beyond their experience and capabilities.” Nearly three quarters (73%) of fatal crashes occur on the open road where a loss of control can be deadly." http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO160...40-at-risk.htm

I think these statements are wrong as they equate risk with the absolute number of fatalities / injuries, whereas it should be based on fatalities / injuries per km ridden.

I did my first Ride Forever course the weekend before last. Great course and I learned a lot. Recommended. But I tired of the pro-ACC drivel about how car drivers were subsidising the motorcycle ACC levy.

That said, most days I ride I see bikers riding like idiots.

In short:
    - There are a lot of motorcyclists being killed / injured. Too many.
    - Compared to other age groups, there are more older bikers dying/injured because there are more older bikers riding more miles. I believe that, on average, older riders are safer than younger riders per mile ridden.
    - The ACC levy is based on "no-fault" so includes motorcycle accidents that we ultimately the fault of the other driver. I think this is unfair. The levy should be based on an assessment of who caused the accident.
    - Training can help avoid or reduce injury in accidents caused by others
    - A lot of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents or are otherwise the fault of the rider. This is, IMHO, caused by reckless behaviour and/or poor skills. The latter can be addressed by training. The former is more difficult ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Hey Frodo,

it's a no-brainer that the majority of fatalities occur at higher speeds - kinetic energy being half the mass times the speed squared (Ke = 1/2m * v2) so as speed increases there is an exponential effect on kinetic energy - the energy that is available to be expended in the event of the moving mass impacting with another mass. Whether the other mass is moving or not has a bearing on it's kinetic energy. Suffice to say - hit something at 50km/hr you might survive, hit something at 100km/hr you definitely won't.

Carey is a mate, and I've taken him to task on these comments. As usual with reporters, he had a whole lot to say, and they've taken the most salacious bit and only printed that. All the other stuff is lost in the meantime. One of the reasons Carey left the role, I guess. His job has been taken over by Dave Keilty, who's also a mate. It's actually good to know that as motorcyclists we have some of our own in key positions now. Try and ignore what the media say. They really don't understand the topic well. If they reported on finance or weather like they report on motorcycling there would be a roar of prtest country-wide.

We can't also argue that the majority of motorcyclists are older than 40. It stands to reason that if 75% of motorcyclists are over 40, then you'd expect a corresponding injury/death rate among those 75%. Except you don't - we tend to ride safer so our injury and death rates are less than our proportion of the riding population. However, a death is a death.

The motorcycle population has increased a lot in the last five years, and our injury/death rate has gone down. However, as a result of the increasing population of riders, the death rate has remained more or less static - in fact it's climbed slightly. TPTB work in total numbers when it comes to deaths. Personally, I don't put too much stock in deaths. It's the injury rate I really want to look at.

Unfortunately, a number of deaths are single vehicle accidents. However, this does not necessarily mean that the rider was completely at fault. Generally, there is something unexpected that has happened, and the road design/road furniture meant that the accident was not survivable as the road is not safe to any motorcyclist coming off his bike. So, yes, training is a great idea. But it's not the only one.

We need to look at the road design - and I don't just mean the road surface. Some roads encourage people to ride quicker for a while, then present them with a tricky change to conditions - all very well to say ride to the conditions but a 100km/hr road should be maintained to a 100km/hr standard, with, say, a tolerance of 5-10%, meaning that you should be reasonably expected to be able to travel at a speed between 90-100km/hr on it. If there are any sections that are below that speed, then at least 500 metres before the section the speed limit should be reduced to 80km/hr, or even less. That way, you signal beforehand that there is an issue - don't just present the road user with a problem when they were used to a certain speed.

Also, prevent the ability of the road user to fall into the other lane should they come off. Unfortunately, that would mean barriers - and modified cheesecutters could do this, through the introduction of a type of "chicken wire" mechanism to ensure that flying riders don't get sliced. Then we get to the sides of the road with culverts, posts, etc. We need to ensure that these are either covered, like you would in a racetrack, or moved completely so you couldn't hit them.

And then - and this one is the kicker - we need to introduce a kind of RideForever for cars. And make it compulsory at least every ten years - say as part of licence renewal. I don't care if people don't like that - generally those who don't are shit drivers anyway. If there was a RideForever for car drivers I'd do it tomorrow (actually there is, kind of. A group of people I know are trying to convince ACC to take this idea on - they are motorcycle and car instructors who want to make a difference - it would be a practical driving course with an emphasis on hazard avoidance and better driving).

Responding to the fatalities per km ridden. It's very difficult as, as a number of posters have already stated, there are a significant number of riders who don't register their motorcycles. The trick is to get those who - like my father in law does, keep their bikes off the road in winter - undertake some training on re-registration. This could be done by offering them a hand out card at the licence renewal place.

The biggest problem with the training though remains the stubbornness of humans. And I was one too - suspicious about the need for training. After all, I had years of practice on bikes. Actually I may have had years on bikes but I wasn't really learning anything - other than being put on to Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist by a fellow KBer a number of years ago. But I did a RideForever and got hooked. But there are a significant number of 40+ year olds who just don't believe they need training. I hate to generalise, but a number of them ride a particular American manufactured motorcycle. Not all, but a significant amount. Getting into the 1%ers is hard.

The myth about high viz needs to be busted. The driver who pulled out in front of me was colour blind. My bright red Aprilia looked a muddy brown to him, and my high viz vest was like a pale brown. I've had the opportunity to sit in a room and talk to the guy about what happened. It was a genuine mistake - it's really affected my life though. At the very least it will be two years before I can ride again. And there's a big IF there because I have a brachial plexus injury which means half my arm is paralyzed. Still, as I say far too much, because I did the emergency braking training I was able to slow down enough to minimise my hurt. And there's no reason why others can't learn how to do this.

The solutions are there. They are not particularly cheap. And we are up against the inevitable fact that driverless electric vehicles are our future. And the insurance companies and the likes of ACC will ensure that motorcycling on the roads becomes so expensive that the majority of riders won't bother. And collectively we are getting older. My dad can't ride any more due to Parkinsons. He's in his late 70s and would love to ride. There's aren't enough people taking up riding. My son, Pediigru on here, is a notable exception. But he's a 4th generation motorcyclist on my side and 3rd generation on his mum's side. So eventually, there won't be motorcyclists. And it will probably only take a generation or two. So TPTB don't see much need to invest too much money.

We need to convince them that this is a mistake. And we have to start by getting the next generation to ride. And train them as much as possible and teach them how to survive. Because it's worth it.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    True no one has said exactly that but there has been opposition coments from others to having those at fault paying a higher ACC premium than those not at fault on here. This would work the same way as if you have an at fault crash it is likely your future bike/car premiums will go up. I really dont think the reason as I have speculated for others to oppose such an idea would be for any other reason than fear of being at fault. Such a policy would have a spin off of improving road safety too as people will not want to find their ACC premiums going up for an At Fault crash as well as whatever the court punishment is.
    Absolute bollocks.

Firstly, an increase of even 50% to ACC premiums (you really would not be able to charge a higher premium - too many lawyers drive cars).
    Secondly, it's going completely against the principles of no-fault. I really can't work out where your brain is at. Your ideas would lead to huge increases to motorcyclists.

Speechless.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    How can innocent victims be charged more under what I have suggested? You said your crash was not your fault and because of that it would be the car driver that hit you paying a higher vehicle premium because of it and not you would it not? The same principle could be quite easily applied to ACC I feel. Did it not piss you off that the person who hit you was paying under $200 for their ACC premium while you as a motorcyclist were paying $400 or more for a big bike if it was of a size where such a charge applies?

I'm not a selfish person, like a huge proportion of the public is. I prefer to have premiums shared across all vehicle users. ACC is no fault. Motorcycles should pay the same as other vehicles. Anything else is assigning fault. At the moment, motorcycle ACC levies are a violation of the no-fault ethos of ACC.

No, it didn't piss me off that the person who pulled out in front of me paid less ACC. Just as if their salary was way higher than mine. Mistakes happen. Shit happens. It's how we deal with the shit that's more important.

In answer to your first question, it's because you wish to enshrine the principle that those that are more risky should pay more. It's a policy that has been creeping in more and more and I don't like that. Allowing for certain people to pay more due to their risk assessment (which we currently do a bit) would lead to ACC looking at what bikes people rode, work out that, say GSXR1000s are more likely to be crashed, so they pay $3000 per annum to register their bikes, whether they crash or not.

It's wrong.

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    I cant work out where your brain is at either from your post #42
    Half his brain is probably still in the helmet lining from his accident yet he's still able to string together a coherant and thoughful post.

I guess perhaps your brain is 90% embedded firmly up some random dogs arse.

Youre a fuckwit
    Last edited by Luckylegs; 12th December 2017 at 10:00. Reason: Spulling

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you about ACC imposing an at fault assumption on anyone ridng a bike. ACC currently place all the risk on the size (cc rating) and not model of bike but there are certainly differences in safety too with respect to different classes of bike for example sports bikes have lowered bars which impairs side vision unless you want to sit up and get sore wrists. The other most dangerous bikes are crusiers due to their lack of ground clearance when cornering. Sports bikes would attract the most dangerous riders as guys who buy them buy them for their speed and Rossi wannabe appeal.
    OK, so I have just realised that it isn't that you talk a lot of crap. It's that you talk the same crap over and over and over and...

A reminder: the thread was about the statistics presented by a US Govt funded motorcycle advisory body, and Mr Gardiner's personal take on those statistics and how they were interpreted. Nothing therein invites yet another repeat of any of your hackneyed, half witted, theories.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Finally someone on here who can see a policy of those at fault paying a higher ACC premium than people not at fault being fairer than the discriminatory policy at the moment on the grounds of mode of transport. Some on here are just too frightened to be found at fault to want this sadly. I disagree that training can help you to avoid the screwups of others for the simple reason that it is them and not you that decides the distance and speed of travel when they screw up. I am saying that as a result of being a victim of others screwups myself. Many on here until they experience such a crash just cant understand that.
    you're a fuckwit

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you about ACC imposing an at fault assumption on anyone ridng a bike. ACC currently place all the risk on the size (cc rating) and not model of bike but there are certainly differences in safety too with respect to different classes of bike for example sports bikes have lowered bars which impairs side vision unless you want to sit up and get sore wrists. The other most dangerous bikes are crusiers due to their lack of ground clearance when cornering. Sports bikes would attract the most dangerous riders as guys who buy them buy them for their speed and Rossi wannabe appeal.
    you're a fuckwit

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Experience a "not at fault" crash sport and your thinking may be different.
    no, i'm pretty sure he'll still think you're a fuckwit.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    And from way out of left field - more statistics.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...searchers-find
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Or they will think they are just as bad a rider as me for not being able to brake or swerve to avoid the crash despite possibly being a riding school grad.
    you are a gluton for abuse aincha.

that, and a massive fuckwit.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Experience a "not at fault" crash sport and your thinking may be different.
    I hadn't realized it was now a sport. You'll be good at that no doubt ... you've had plenty of practice ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver

We need to look at the road design - and I don't just mean the road surface. Some roads encourage people to ride quicker for a while, then present them with a tricky change to conditions - all very well to say ride to the conditions but a 100km/hr road should be maintained to a 100km/hr standard, with, say, a tolerance of 5-10%, meaning that you should be reasonably expected to be able to travel at a speed between 90-100km/hr on it. If there are any sections that are below that speed, then at least 500 metres before the section the speed limit should be reduced to 80km/hr, or even less. That way, you signal beforehand that there is an issue - don't just present the road user with a problem when they were used to a certain speed.

The biggest problem with the training though remains the stubbornness of humans. And I was one too - suspicious about the need for training. After all, I had years of practice on bikes. Actually I may have had years on bikes but I wasn't really learning anything - other than being put on to Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist by a fellow KBer a number of years ago. But I did a RideForever and got hooked. But there are a significant number of 40+ year olds who just don't believe they need training. I hate to generalise, but a number of them ride a particular American manufactured motorcycle. Not all, but a significant amount. Getting into the 1%ers is hard.

The myth about high viz needs to be busted. The driver who pulled out in front of me was colour blind. My bright red Aprilia looked a muddy brown to him, and my high viz vest was like a pale brown. I've had the opportunity to sit in a room and talk to the guy about what happened. It was a genuine mistake - it's really affected my life though. At the very least it will be two years before I can ride again. And there's a big IF there because I have a brachial plexus injury which means half my arm is paralyzed. Still, as I say far too much, because I did the emergency braking training I was able to slow down enough to minimise my hurt. And there's no reason why others can't learn how to do this.
    Riffer, a great email that makes important points that I agree with. There are a few I'd like to respond to.

Road design: I agree that some blatant death traps need to be fixed. But its not feasible to make all 100 kph roads suitable for 100 kph at all times in all places. Just like there could be a tractor on the other side of a blind corner, there could also be gravel, a pot hole or diesel. And what is fine for one rider at 100 kph is too fast for another. Your suggestion about setting lower limits to match some arbitrary decision criterion has me concerned. The limit around the north side of Pauatahanui Inlet is now 60 kph, which is ridiculously slow. If ride it safely at 80 kph I stand a good chance of being pinged, given how many cops there are there. The problem was boy racers flying out of corners, but now I am being penalised.

1%ers: age is a simple criterion, but what about those who have base jumping as a second hobby and the other risk takers that enjoy riding. My psychologist brother-in-law tells me about frontal lobes of the brain (responsible for risk awareness and management) not being fully developed by the time most people are 25. He also talks about risk takers being "under-aroused" (nothing to do with sex), that they need higher stimuli to achieve the same level of thrill. It is really difficult to reduce accidents in the second group.

Hi-vis: yes, a driver near Tauranga in good dry, clear conditions with lots of visibility pulled out in front of a truck and trailer unit and was killed. What chance does a mere motorcyclist have to be seen? Nevertheless, after my "incident" with someone who failed to give way a couple of years ago, I installed small, bright LEDs mounted on the base of my indicator stalks. These form a triangle with my headlight and give a better perception of movement than a single headlight. But no hi-vis for me...

Motorcyclists are more susceptible to dodgy road conditions and more vulnerable when they collide with a vehicle or something at the side of the road. Good safety gear (I was overtaken in the left by a guy riding an SV1000 on the Kapiti expressway this morning - he was wearing shorts) and good training will help reduce accidents and their severity. But the risk will not disappear. I must admit to being peeved by the imbalance of ACC levies and the argument that car drivers are subsidising bikes. Raising the levy for those individuals at fault in more accidents will require huge costs in lawyers and experts determining fault (my daughter was knocked off her bicycle by a car that ran a red light in Canada - three years later she has not seen a cent of compensation and her lawyer will take a third of the payout).

Perhaps getting cars and bikes to pay the same levy would send a signal to car drivers: you want a lower levy, then look out for bikes.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    We need to look at the road design
    Bullshit.

The most recent SAFEST roads built and recently opened ... have a set speed limit of 110 km/hr. Simply because there are too many people on the roads believing that 100 km/hr is safe (in/on whatever vehicle they are in control of) because that is the set limit. As do those that ignore warning signs near corners. This road being two lanes in each direction with all the barriers ... how long before the first motorist dies on it ... bets anyone .. ???

There is (and always will be) a large portion of public (sealed) highways that are unsafe / impossible to travel at or near 100 km/hr.

You think dumbing down the NZ roading system is really a valid response to the road death toll ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information