Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sourcing electric bikes

Bike
    Honda VTR250

Sourcing electric bikes

Anybody on here found a place that sells or can import an electric bike? Cycletreads in Auckland had the Zero a few years ago, which looks pretty sweet. There's also a nice Italian one - Energica. Keen to hear if anybody has tried bringing one in and how much it ends up costing.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Does anyone have a good thing to say about electric motorcycles?

I rode one, a couple of years back, and would not choose to ride one again.

My main issue was that there was no engine braking, around bends, and it relied upon coasting, before accelerating out of the bend. I consider to be dangerous.

Have they changed/improved?
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Does anyone have a good thing to say about electric motorcycles?

I rode one, a couple of years back, and would not choose to ride one again.

My main issue was that there was no engine braking, around bends, and it relied upon coasting, before accelerating out of the bend. I consider to be dangerous.

Have they changed/improved?

Very interesting valid point, half your directional stability must come from the rotating mass of crank and transmission, so losing this or having a lot less due to electronic trickery making same torque with less revs creates some inetersting issues.....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    I was visited a week ago by a couple of Zero riders who like their bikes a lot (one of them also has owned several VStroms, I don't know what the other guy might have in his stable). I think some models do regenerative braking which gives some similar effect to ICE braking. Of course, if you go from a big 4T single to an RD350 you'll swear the latter not only has no engine braking but in fact speeds up when the throttle is shut going into a corner (that was my impression).

If you want to slow down, use the brakes, they are much more effective than engine braking.

Some of the racing e-motos are going pretty well these days, weight from carrying sufficient batteries to go fast the entire race seems the main handling issue.

Bike
    A
    When it comes to electric bikes, most seasoned bikers would likely scoff at the notion...

Bike
    suzuki
    have you tried a gay bar? bound to be some owners in one of those.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    I was racing in the States earlier this year at two AHRMA meetings and they run a class for E bikes. They were impressive and bloody fast and had a good field. It's only a matter of time. They're coming folks. But for me, yeah na. I'm not gay....yet

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    have you tried a gay bar? bound to be some owners in one of those.
    When I started reading this reply, I thought it would tie in with the comment a bit above along the lines of few guys in there like their rides too LMAO

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    I was racing in the States earlier this year at two AHRMA meetings and they run a class for E bikes. They were impressive and bloody fast and had a good field. It's only a matter of time. They're coming folks. But for me, yeah na. I'm not gay....yet
    Accidentally watched the car formula E stuff while channel swapping other day. Very boring even compared to other one make typeracing series. Seemed a lot of variance in battery life/performance too. Wouldn’t that suck, out for rude with mates and you have less reserve capacity. Whose gonna wait while you recharge?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It would seem some electric vehicles are getting quite quick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWrUl3uemb4
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It would seem some electric vehicles are getting quite quick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWrUl3uemb4
    So that's clear. Get an eBike for drag racing only
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    think it's like the 2stroke >> 4 stroke thing --- give it a few years and all motox will be electric (have you seen the new honda erex series? ) --- just enjoy the petrol bikes for as long as you can (not sure if kids born today will get to do the same)

if you look at battery tech bankrolled by James Dyson, should solve a lot of the current gripes with battery tech for vehicles too

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    It's interesting how the market for bikes has evolved and continues to do so. 10-20 years ago very few manufacturers even mentioned fuel consumption figures for their machines, with the exception of BMW, and yet here we are seeing it banded about every time a new bike is launched.

I suspect that with Electric bikes we're still awaiting the point of critical mass from a general market acceptance point of view. Here in NZ I suspect that point will take longer to arrive than other countires due in no small part to the relative lack of infrastructure to support them. But arrive it will IMHO.

Harley's Livewire project has been kicking around for some years now but I suspect that their analysis of the E-bike market has shown that the technology isn't yet mature enough for them to take the plunge and put it into production. I'm looking forward to when it does come to fruition though and I'd love to ride it when it does finally start to arrive in dealerships.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Wouldn’t that suck, out for rude with mates and you have less reserve capacity. Whose gonna wait while you recharge?
    They're only popping down the road for a coffee, so I hardly think range will be an issue, but then there are charging stations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    They're only popping down the road for a coffee, so I hardly think range will be an issue, but then there are charging stations.
    Yes and no....

A mates just traded in his Yamaha MT10 because it gets 170km on a tank of gas... A decent E bike might achieve that so the problem with E bikes is not so much the range but the speed at which you recharge and a lack of rapid charge points.

But remember that problem was also faced by petrol driven vehicles pre WW1. Petrol was sold in cans by the chemist or local grocery store.

So yes there are issues but they are rapidly becoming non issues. Times are changing...

Thread Information