Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten world highway

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Forgotten world highway

Morning All

I'll be heading down to Wellington this coming Friday from AKL and was thinking of using the SH43 Forgotten World Highway route as an alternative. Has anyone used this recently and if so were there any snags with it? Any tips on what to do/avoid?

Thanks,

Bike
    suzuki
    just do it your own way, it's brilliant

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Take care at the railway level crossings as there are a few, and while there are no trains operating the line is now use by large numbers of tourist rail carts (converted golf carts) and you don't want to race around a corner too fast and hit one of those.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I haven't done it for a year or so but it doesn't change much. The road in from the Taumarunui end is usually in good nick. The Tangarakau Gorge should hold no fears, although it is better if the grader hasn't just been through. The seal at the Stratford end is usually not quite as good as the Taumarunui end but is OK. There may be some tar bleed on a really hot day.

Take the corner speed advisory signs seriously. If they have a really low number on them they mean it.

Try and stay on your own side of the road - your head as well as bike. That sounds simple but some of the corners are tight and...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Ducatis,Ktms
    ''Tis one of best rides in the country imho, it did it on my Panigale which is far from a dual sport but the unsealed section was a breeze.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks all. The plan is to head down to Taumaranui as normal and then follow the 43 until Stratford. Then head South once more and rejoin SH3. It's simply because I have some more time to play with on this occasion and it seems to be a shame not to put it to good use...

I'm looking forward to seeing how the VStrom copes with the journey - I'm sure it'll eat it up.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    If a Vespa PX200 can do it then for a Vstrom it'll be a walk in the park...

If you can spend the day doing the ride all the better, lots to see and a few bits are worth repeating

And if you're got the time, the Okahukura Saddle Rd is worth a visit as well

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Thanks all. The plan is to head down to Taumaranui as normal and then follow the 43 until Stratford. Then head South once more and rejoin SH3. It's simply because I have some more time to play with on this occasion and it seems to be a shame not to put it to good use...

I'm looking forward to seeing how the VStrom copes with the journey - I'm sure it'll eat it up.
    Got time to stay at the Whangamomona pub overnight? A good experience! Enjoy the trip!!!

Bike
    R100GSPD
    if you have at least an hour to spare the mt damper falls are worth a look

https://www.google.com/maps/@-38.923...3,14z?hl=en-US

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I did it a week ago on my v strom and it was all in good nick, damper falls is a good excursion as BMWST says, but the whangamomona hotel is better visited than stayed at imo...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I did it a week ago on my v strom and it was all in good nick, damper falls is a good excursion as BMWST says, but the whangamomona hotel is better visited than stayed at imo...
    Haha...true.

No problem on my Harley....
    Done it numerous times.
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Got time to stay at the Whangamomona pub overnight? A good experience! Enjoy the trip!!!
    Sadly I need to be in Wellington to catch the ferry by 15:30-16:00. The plan is to leave Devonport nice and early (Be on the road by 05:00) and use the extra time to use a slightly more scenic route than what I normally do. Not that there's anyhting wrong with the usual SH1/39/3/4/3 route of course! It's just that every time I go through Taumaranui I think to myself 'One day I'll use that Forgotten World Highway instead'. If I don't do it this time then chances are I won't at all...

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Done it a few times on various 30 to 40 year old bikes, as mentioned there is one 25K corner that really is.

Stayed there once and felt like I was on the set of Fawlty Towers, but its under new ownership now.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Make sure to take yer passport and get it stamped!
    Kwaka cruiser and a Suzi bndit did it with ease a year or two back, watch for the bees climbing into your drinks In the pub, oh and don't shoot the goats one of em's the mayor.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I rode it in February. Worth the detour if you haven't done it. A fair bit of gravel, any gravel is enough to make me have to clean my bike.

If you are looking for other detours on the boring HW1 in the North Island I often take the back road from Fielding to Kimbolton to Rangiwahia to Mangaweka gorge. Very scenic and curvy.

The last couple of trips I've gone west 1 minute heading north out of Taupo take Piohipi Rd and head to the Whakamaru dam and rejoin HW1 at Tokoroa.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Thread Information