Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Help me with suspension setup please

  1. #1
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,481

    Help me with suspension setup please

    Triumph Street Triple R. 2009.

    Shock is fine - better than fine in fact.

    Issue is the forks. When riding along on the street the small bump and ripple compliance is not good, and a sharp edged bump makes it feel like like the fork isn't compressing, so the bump is transmitted directly to the rider, and it feels like the bike pitches backwards because the forks arent compressing then the rear tyre hits the same bump and it is absorbed. Weird. That to me feels like too much compression damping or maybe oversprung. But when I land a wheelie (and yes, my technique is shit) it blows through all its travel and smashes the bump stops with a loud metallic clang.... as if it has insufficient compression damping and/or an under rate spring.

    But it can't be both, right?

    So, what things should I try, and in what order?
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  2. #2
    Join Date
    10th June 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    1340
    Location
    CH-CH
    Posts
    1,032
    Increase pre load to stop the bottoming and soften up the compression for the shitty bumps ?

    Sags set ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Increase pre load to stop the bottoming and soften up the compression for the shitty bumps ?

    Sags set ?
    I did set sags when I first got the bike but havent checked what they are - and I lost the bit of paper I wrote it down on.
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  4. #4
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,696
    Talk to RT, and learn how to land wheelies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Talk to RT, and learn how to land wheelies.
    Lend us your bike? I need to learn how to wheelie. For science.
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  6. #6
    Join Date
    3rd February 2004 - 08:11
    Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Location
    Wallaceville, Upper hutt
    Posts
    4,279
    PM inmate Stampy here on KB and ask. He had RT do the forks on his striple. Said that plus the ohlins rear made it a diffrent bike
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,696
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Lend us your bike? I need to learn how to wheelie. For science.
    I would but they would be too tall for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    4th November 2003 - 13:00
    Bike
    BSA A10
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    12,036
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I would but they would be too tall for you.
    Everything bar a pitbike is too tall for him
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."


    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    10th June 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    1340
    Location
    CH-CH
    Posts
    1,032
    Dave Moss will be here at the end of next month or there abouts he'll sort it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    23rd February 2007 - 08:47
    Bike
    Suzuki gsxr 600k7. Hayabusa K9 DRZ250 K
    Location
    CHCH
    Posts
    1,905
    Iirc Dave Moss set This bike up a few years back? Assuming the sags are correct, then ease off your front compression to cope with road ripples. When were the forks last serviced. Fluid deteriorates
    With use and becomes smelly watery piss with little damping quality. Most suspension will blow thru the stroke on wheelies, cause they aren't really designed for that!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Trade it in on a brand new bike

    It's been a long year, you deserve it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Trade it in on a brand new bike

    It's been a long year, you deserve it.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...dfb1111c3d7fb8

    I went in to look at this today but it was sold this morning great buying at that price.
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  13. #13
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Iirc Dave Moss set This bike up a few years back? Assuming the sags are correct, then ease off your front compression to cope with road ripples. When were the forks last serviced. Fluid deteriorates
    With use and becomes smelly watery piss with little damping quality. Most suspension will blow thru the stroke on wheelies, cause they aren't really designed for that!
    He did.

    I am going to try and approach it scientifically -ish over the weekend.
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  14. #14
    Join Date
    15th May 2008 - 19:13
    Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Triumph Street Triple R. 2009.

    Shock is fine - better than fine in fact.

    Issue is the forks. When riding along on the street the small bump and ripple compliance is not good, and a sharp edged bump makes it feel like like the fork isn't compressing, so the bump is transmitted directly to the rider, and it feels like the bike pitches backwards because the forks arent compressing then the rear tyre hits the same bump and it is absorbed. Weird. That to me feels like too much compression damping or maybe oversprung. But when I land a wheelie (and yes, my technique is shit) it blows through all its travel and smashes the bump stops with a loud metallic clang.... as if it has insufficient compression damping and/or an under rate spring.

    But it can't be both, right?

    So, what things should I try, and in what order?
    HDC. First up, adding preload ain't worth shit when your spring rate is too light. All it does is change your ride height a bit, but mostly increases the force first required to move the suspension. When it does move, you are still stuck with whatever the spring rate is (does this sound familiar

    Many people crank preload in to band aid not enough spring rate (thinking they will make the overall rate stiffer). What it actually does is just make the first part of the stroke very harsh. Surprisingly, when you have a better spring rate and less preload, you get better compliance.....because you are not having to over come that initial preload (eg is you have 30mm of preload on a 1kg/mm spring you need 30kgs of suspension force before it moves 1mm) . It can also cause patter in the front under hard corning load when off the throttle (ie corner entry). I was looking at one of my TZ's years ago and the rear spring rate and I asked RT what was a benchmark preload % (ie say 10% of overall free length) was an indicator the rate was too light. The 20% I had we came to the conclusion was well overdue for an increase in spring rate, and reduced preload. I've subsequently gone up a again. 5.7kg/mm to 6.2kg/mm to 8+kg/mm and each change was better.

    Compression damping from there will then also have an effect, but ultimately, the bike sits on the springs and the damping controls the rate of movement. Reducing comp damping may have an effect, but could cause a compromise elsewhere , ie on the brakes as it will dive quicker and unload the back.

    Apart from doing CSS, some of the biggest gains I have ever had with my racing was getting the right spring rates....Yamaha were notorious for too light fork springs for years. On my race bike I went from 0.45kg/mm stock to 0.75kg/mm with min actual preload. feel is better, small bump compliance is better, less patter, more speed vicar.

    I'd look at spring rate first. Go back and redo your sag figures and see whether your laden and unladen sag figures correlate okay. Ie if to get a laden sag figure that is okay, but that creates too small a unladen sag figure, I'd say too much preload, not enough spring rate.

    Remember, all bikes from the factory are a compromise on theri suspension set up - not just cost of components used, but the settings and rates as they try and make it work for 50kg lightweight and 120kg fatties. But the needs are very different.....and one size does not fit all.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    8th January 2005 - 15:05
    Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    8,672
    Blog Entries
    1
    HDC I gather from previous posts that you are not ummm over tall(?). Never seen a comment on your weight though.

    Sometimes heavier riders have a problem caused by the valves in the forks being too small to pass the fluid required to deal with a sharp bump and it feels as if the forks have locked. The cheap fix is to get a good machinist to make the holes bigger. A better fix is to install Race Tech Gold Valves or similar and get springs and valves matched to your weight.

    Robert @ KSS performed the latter option on my bike.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •