Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Summer running - 2000 Ducati ST2

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Thanks Pete - my street is too well lit to do the total dark thing so have tried substitution of new ignition coils. No joy, the bike remains as-is, still the remainder of a nasty vibration after riding for a few minutes.

My thinking is now either:

1) Mains bearings getting loose with time and mileage (I'm really hoping against that) or,

2) Crank position sensor is getting a bit tired and not working 100% any more.

It's an inductive type. The crank position sensor doesn't run on the crankshaft or flywheel, it runs on the half-speed timing gear driving the belts running to the cylinder heads. Initial triggering is via a cut-out spanning two gear teeth, then the sensor counts gear teeth to establish crankshaft position after that.

I haven't yet checked the air gap, specified as 0.6 to 0.8 mm, but this is very unlikely to have changed over time. The Ducati workshop manual doesn't specify coil resistance, I got 660 ohms at the ECU connector but have no new one to compare to or any reliable info from the internet. I have just tried running a timing test using a timing gun and this appeared to show a problem: couldn't find the timing marks either at idle or revving. Unfortunately it's difficult to read these (or not) clearly, after a few seconds of operation there is a steady flow of engine oil over the inside of the timing window glass and it starts becoming very difficult to see the flywheel clearly.

The timing gun is suspect. It's a cheapie:

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/t...ight/9702.html

Works OK at idle and low revs but has a habit of dropping out once the engine is revved a bit.

So, question for everyone: can these sensors get a bit sick and become walking wounded? Or when they go, they go and that's it, the engine won't run at all? Or is my testing at fault here and there's nothing proved wrong with the sensor yet?

Neels, I've had a think about your bike's running rich at idle problem and the only idea I've got is blocked air bypass jets in the throttle bodies. These are only dominant at closed throttle, ie idle. There's a lot of other things it might be of course but if memory serves it should be possible to completely remove the bypass screws from either side and clean the needle valve seat area via cotton bud and white spirits, without taking anything else apart except for removing fairings. Doing this might mean having to go through the set-up procedure on the throttle bodies though.

Bike
    motocompo
    So has anyone thats actually got a clue ever taken a look at it?
    Or is it just you?

Bike
    Exercycle
    He's on here asking, Bob, so there's your answer.

Can i put an oar in and suggest two things which may or may not help - but will eliminate a couple of possibilities.

Firstly - do a GOOD vacuum synch of the throttle bodies, Beg, borrow or steal good gauges and take your time.
    My rationale here is that the TPS is on one body and it's known that if they go out of synch, the other pot has mixture problems.

Secondly - the crank position sensor. Close up the air gap to the factory minimum or even a tad under that.
    My rationale here is experience with similar aged electronics.

Bike
    Ducati ST2 2003
    Thanks, I was thinking with my cored pipes i should be able to get a couple of horsepower by raising fuel pressure a tad

What about something like this :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304...archweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Firstly, it's a ducati.. they rattle and vibe ..

Second I had a similar thing on a 2002 monster turned out to be a small crack in the fuel pump line and it would bypass back into the tank only sometimes, made it hard diagnose.

Best thing I ever did to that bike was make a big earth strap going to various parts on the bike. Solved all those little electrical gremlins.

I haven't totally read this thread so this might be irrelevant.

Good luck.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    Firstly, it's a ducati.. they rattle and vibe ..

Second I had a similar thing on a 2002 monster turned out to be a small crack in the fuel pump line and it would bypass back into the tank only sometimes, made it hard diagnose.

Best thing I ever did to that bike was make a big earth strap going to various parts on the bike. Solved all those little electrical gremlins.

I haven't totally read this thread so this might be irrelevant.

Good luck.
    That's a very good suggestion for any m/c with a few kms up.

Thread Information