Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer running - 2000 Ducati ST2

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    But yes there certainly seems to be a lot of dry clutch fetish going on among Ducatisti
    Many even claim they like the sound of a dry clutch. I suspect they may be lying though.

Given current noise standards you'll never see one on a production road bike again.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Many even claim they like the sound of a dry clutch. I suspect they may be lying though.

Given current noise standards you'll never see one on a production road bike again.
    My Airhead BMW's have dry clutches, and so does the Norton Commando. They don't sound like a roasting pan of nuts being shaken up and down.

Had a 600SS for a while, great bike for twisty roads and it had a wet clutch, you could actually hear the engine.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Ducati ST2 2003

Intro

Hi Guys
    I just brought an ST2 2003, done 600km so far, love it but it looks like it needs a few jobs doing to it, the exhaust stud nuts are almost non existing and the tank has a fair bit of rust in it
    Thanks for a great forum and i look forward to being a part of it
    Noel

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by noelh View Post
    Hi Guys
    I just brought an ST2 2003, done 600km so far, love it but it looks like it needs a few jobs doing to it, the exhaust stud nuts are almost non existing and the tank has a fair bit of rust in it
    Noel
    I had an SS with rust.
    Ducati tanks have a tendency to hold water at rear by seat.
    Take out the filler ring ( probably need a new seal and small allen head screws)
    Removed pump and filter ( buy new filter)
    Get a POR 15 metal ready kit and follow instructions ( careful of paint.)
    Then POR 15 tank seal.
    Note: check that the vent is not kinked as it it blocks the pump keeps on sucking.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i think the residue of friction material itself is the cause.creates the drag between steels and friiction.Just tlike if you have very hot brake discs you can get pad material depositied on the disc if you stop with the brakes still hard on....next thing you have a "lump" on the disc

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Hi Guys
    Noel
    Hi Noel! Can't speak to the tank rust (listen to Voltaire), I can comment on exhaust studs nuts though... go OEM Ducati, they use a weird high copper alloy which seems to work a treat. What are the other issues?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i think the residue of friction material itself is the cause.creates the drag between steels and friiction.Just tlike if you have very hot brake discs you can get pad material depositied on the disc if you stop with the brakes still hard on....next thing you have a "lump" on the disc
    Yep it's certainly improved since I cleaned the steels up. However I think both more lift and a new clutch pack would help... the discs aren't perfectly flat and this may mean proper disengagement (no contact) may not be possible.

I agree with your comment about discs, I'd certainly try doing a few hot / hard stops before regrinding or replacing a disc if there's a lump appeared.

Bike
    Ducati ST2 2003

ST2 the beginning

Well I thought the clutch was a bit noisey, so i popped the cover off on the weekend, it has about 3mm clearance between the steel discs and the clutch cage, that probably explains the rattle, not sure if that means i should put a clutch kit in or not?

Also has an odd whistle at about 4K revs, my first guess is the belts are too tight but I am open to other opinions and that, I have some belts on order as i was going to change them anyway.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Well I thought the clutch was a bit noisey, so i popped the cover off on the weekend, it has about 3mm clearance between the steel discs and the clutch cage, that probably explains the rattle, not sure if that means i should put a clutch kit in or not?

Also has an odd whistle at about 4K revs, my first guess is the belts are too tight but I am open to other opinions and that, I have some belts on order as i was going to change them anyway.
    3mm - the clutch friction plate tangs are stuffed. The clutch will still work for quite some time though, just depends how much noise you're prepared to put up with. If the basket or hub have picked up notching then you might have clutch issues on changing the pack over.

The whistle might be from an overfilled sump. I had something similar on mine and was exploring all sorts of possibilities, noticed that the oil level was a bit high in the sight glass, did an oil change and refilled to the correct halfway point... the whistle / bubbling noise disappeared. I hadn't changed anything else. No damage appeared to have been done. I suspect overfilling means that the crankcase breather valve gets too wet with oil and turns into a bubbler, but can't be sure on this.

If you haven't checked the airbox filter yet I suggest having a look - the forward-facing snorkels and nose fairing slipstream feeds have a habit of feeding insects straight into the airbox.

Bike
    Ducati ST2 2003
    Hi thanks for the advice
    I brought a clutch kit today (Ducatispares.co.nz) quite a reasonable price $249, will see how the basket and inner look once i strip it.

As far as the whistle goes, will advise once i track it down, it seems pretty consistent, there at 4000rpm but not at any other revs.

Bike
    Ducati ST2 2003

Exhaust

The other thing I am noticing is the exhaust is a bit too quiet, I will have to figure out how to open up the mufflers a bit or buy some after market ones, there are a lot of articles on the web about removing part of the inner pipe, has anyone here ever done it?
    My main concern would be upsetting the fuel injection mixture but most of the ones I have read seem to have got away with it,
    I don't want it too loud, just a bit louder so i can hear the engine when running without being overly loud to.others when passing.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Tyres recently changed, from T30's to the new T31's. I'd failed the WOF on tread depth on the rear and the front had dished flanks, affecting the handling. The T30's had lasted approximately 9,000 kms. I took the new tyres out for a blat yesterday and so far so good - no issues with grip or squirm, nice neutral handling. Feedback is minimal but I imagine that's deliberate, minimising vibration would be part of a touring tyre design.

Noelh - when I bought my 900 Supersport, the previous owner had de-baffled the exhausts. Glorious Ducati sounds. Horrible flat spot right in the middle of the RPM range, exactly where power peak was supposed to be. Granted it's a carburetted, non ECU bike, but still... mufflers affect how engines breathe. Probably you'll be OK either modifying the mufflers or going aftermarket but I would budget for a dyno run and re-tune session to get the best out of the bike.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The other thing I am noticing is the exhaust is a bit too quiet, I will have to figure out how to open up the mufflers a bit or buy some after market ones, there are a lot of articles on the web about removing part of the inner pipe, has anyone here ever done it?
    My main concern would be upsetting the fuel injection mixture but most of the ones I have read seem to have got away with it,
    I don't want it too loud, just a bit louder so i can hear the engine when running without being overly loud to.others when passing.

Probably more than you want to pay (?) but surprisingly cheap for new slip-ons in NZ.

Search Trademe auction 1694214016

Or order a pair of universal mufflers off Ebay and adapt to fit. You can get something like this for NZ$50-75 including shipping. At that price if you don't like them you'll probably make money selling them on TM. Search for something like Universal motorcycle muffler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	337562  

Bike
    Ducati ST2 2003
    cool thanks for that, at that sort of money worth a go.
    Was worried if i cut up my stock ones and end up with a big flat spot right where you don't want it then i wont be very happy.....

My 900ss has a set of meads speed mufflers and it sounds and goes awesome, but i get the impression someone got that seriously tuned for the mufflers and the K&N etc

Totally different, I dont have my wife sitting on the back of the 900SS

Bike
    Ducati ST2 2003

Cored st4 mufflers

Well it worked out fine, I got a second hand set of st4 mufflers that fitted on just perfectly, cored them and they sound just perfect, not too loud ( I didn't open the inner pipe, just cut 3" off the back) and the torque and power went up a little right through the range, very pleased and not too hard to do, thanks to ducatisuite for the how to

Thread Information