Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An argument over the weirdest thing...

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I was told by a mechanical engineer, many moons ago, that you should store the jack, uncompressed, with the valve closed. When I asked why, he stated that the movement of potential moist air, is your enemy. With the value open, it is subject to a greater degree of atmospheric variables and can suffer consequential wear and corrosion.

I generally forget to do this, but I'm not losing any sleep over it

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Mine is always stored (as in left wherever it was last used) with the valve open, because that's where it ends up when you let it down.

It does make some logic to leave it down as mentioned above, to keep dirt and rust off the ram, valve open or closed I wouldn't have thought would matter.

Possibly more likely to bugger the release valve seal, whatever it is, and cause it to leak if it's left closed all the time?
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Are you running full synthetic oil in that trolley jack?

I always close mine when stored. No idea why or if it's 'correct'
    Closed, it will prevent user from grabbing the top of the piston, lifting it and causing oil and air being sucked in as the piston slides out of the cylinder, bypassing the open valve.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    it's an hydraulic piston. if you left it loaded and under pressure then there's the potential for pressure to bleed past the seal, deforming it and causing a weak/worn spot which will be exacerbated with use. i consider this unlikely though, even on the chinesest of them.

if it's unloaded, there's no issue.
    Generally if the seal will leak then it’s either very badly worn or something has scratched the barrel.

seals leak if overloaded or not designed for purpose. Hi speed and movement over a small distance repetitively like a fork seal is a case.

Seals are mostly of a plastic nature. O rings nitrile rubber. Or Viton or silicon for hi temp.

have seen all sorts of seal failure, mostly due to overloading. Or high pressure sudden decompression.

still prefer locking valve gently when not being used. And breather shut as well in case unit is tipped over causing a leak

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    You should ask the big C

Coz she knows jack shit.........
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    You should ask the big C

Coz she knows jack shit.........
    That prompts a cut'n'paste reply...

For some time many of us have wondered just who is Jack Schitt?

We find ourselves at a loss when someone says,

'You don't know Jack Schitt!'

Well, thanks to my genealogy efforts, you can now respond in an intellectual way.

Jack Schitt is the only son of Awe Schitt.

Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt, Inc. They had one son, Jack.

In turn, Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt. The deeply religious couple produced six children: Holie Schitt, Giva Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Bull Schitt, and the twins Deep Schitt and Dip Schitt.

Against her parents' objections, Deep Schitt married Dumb Schitt, a high school dropout.

After being married 15 years, Jack and Noe Schitt divorced.

Noe Schitt later married Ted Sherlock, and because her kids were living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was then known as Noe Schitt Sherlock.

Meanwhile, Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt,

And they produced a son with a rather nervous disposition named Chicken Schitt.

Two of the other six chidren, Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt were inseparable throughout childhood and subsequently married the Happens brothers in a dual ceremony.

The wedding announcement in the newspaper announced the Schitt-Happens nuptials.

The Schitt-Happens children were Dawg, Byrd, and Horse.

Bull Schitt, the prodigal son, left home to tour the world.

He recently returned from Italy with his new Italian bride, Pisa Schitt.

Now when someone says, 'You don't know Jack Schitt,' you can correct them.

Sincerely,
    Crock O. Schitt

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    That prompts a cut'n'paste reply...

For some time many of us have wondered just who is Jack Schitt?

We find ourselves at a loss when someone says,

'You don't know Jack Schitt!'

Well, thanks to my genealogy efforts, you can now respond in an intellectual way.

Jack Schitt is the only son of Awe Schitt.

Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt, Inc. They had one son, Jack.

In turn, Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt. The deeply religious couple produced six children: Holie Schitt, Giva Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Bull Schitt, and the twins Deep Schitt and Dip Schitt.

Against her parents' objections, Deep Schitt married Dumb Schitt, a high school dropout.

After being married 15 years, Jack and Noe Schitt divorced.

Noe Schitt later married Ted Sherlock, and because her kids were living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was then known as Noe Schitt Sherlock.

Meanwhile, Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt,

And they produced a son with a rather nervous disposition named Chicken Schitt.

Two of the other six chidren, Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt were inseparable throughout childhood and subsequently married the Happens brothers in a dual ceremony.

The wedding announcement in the newspaper announced the Schitt-Happens nuptials.

The Schitt-Happens children were Dawg, Byrd, and Horse.

Bull Schitt, the prodigal son, left home to tour the world.

He recently returned from Italy with his new Italian bride, Pisa Schitt.

Now when someone says, 'You don't know Jack Schitt,' you can correct them.

Sincerely,
    Crock O. Schitt
    Verbal diarrhea. ...aka "Big C" is but a distant cousin.

She couldn't keep up with solid shits
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Verbal diarrhea. ...aka "Big C" is but a distant cousin.

She couldn't keep up with solid shits

Must've been the pressure of keeping up...

Thread Information