Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An argument over the weirdest thing...

Bike
    A

An argument over the weirdest thing...

Recently I helped a couple of friends with a small mechanical project. It required the use of several hydraulic jacks. I only have a car type trolley jack, so brought it along for the job. Mate rolls jack into position, starts cranking the jack handle right away. Only problem is I leave the release valve cracked open when jack isn't in use. It's normally stored level anyway.

This then led to my two buddies arguing with passion on what the correct way to store a trolley jack is. Release valve open or closed... Oh boy, it was akin to reading some of the posts on KB.

Does anyone have any hard and fast rules (or evidence) on what the right way to store a trolley jack is, for all I know the lads are still arguing now

And yes, I need a better class of friends obviously

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Well, the bigger floor jacks that have a spring loaded release trigger will normally have the valve in the closed position. OTOH If I've left my small jack valve open, it's because that's where I left it after lowering the jack. Still seems to work ok.

If anyone one takes a position either for or against something, then they ought to be able to come up with valid, logical reasons supporting their argument. If they cant support their argument logically (" cos I said so" doesn't count) then it isn't worth shit.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Are you running full synthetic oil in that trolley jack?

I always close mine when stored. No idea why or if it's 'correct'

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    it's an hydraulic piston. if you left it loaded and under pressure then there's the potential for pressure to bleed past the seal, deforming it and causing a weak/worn spot which will be exacerbated with use. i consider this unlikely though, even on the chinesest of them.

if it's unloaded, there's no issue.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Well, the bigger floor jacks that have a spring loaded release trigger will normally have the valve in the closed position. OTOH If I've left my small jack valve open, it's because that's where I left it after lowering the jack. Still seems to work ok.

If anyone one takes a position either for or against something, then they ought to be able to come up with valid, logical reasons supporting their argument. If they cant support their argument logically (" cos I said so" doesn't count) then it isn't worth shit.
    Oh yes I'm familiar with the big air assisted stuff, with spring loaded release valves, like we use under the trucks. It just amused me how two grown men could argue, not convincing anyone of anything, on such a topic. Oh and no evidence to support either position. Reminds me of someone...

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Are you running full synthetic oil in that trolley jack?

I always close mine when stored. No idea why or if it's 'correct'
    To be honest, the jack is still on its "running in oil" so I've no idea. How many jacking cycles should I go thru before I can change to full synthetic? Does it need to be warm when I drain it?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...my heavy old pos has lived outside for thirty plus years, get's used regularly...castors are seized with rust usually, sometimes not if I spend a few minutes with a wire brush a hammer and some CRC, which is just about never...whilst dragging this heavy pos all over our land for years, I have never contemplated this issue ever...I probably wont start now, either...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    it's an hydraulic piston. if you left it loaded and under pressure then there's the potential for pressure to bleed past the seal, deforming it and causing a weak/worn spot which will be exacerbated with use. i consider this unlikely though, even on the chinesest of them.

That's more or less how I saw it. I'd be more concerned with storing a jack raised, to let the ram get dirty/corroded, rather than whether the release valve is open or closed.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...my heavy old pos has lived outside for thirty plus years, get's used regularly...castors are seized with rust usually, sometimes not if I spend a few minutes with a wire brush a hammer and some CRC, which is just about never...whilst dragging this heavy pos all over our land for years, I have never contemplated this issue ever...I probably wont start now, either...
    Me neither, just found it funny that this could cause an argument between two grown ups...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Those trolley jacks are always under pressure to keep up!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    have to give you that one, gayfok.

Bike
    R6

It's single action spring return you bell-end, pressure can't build up in that.

The only hard and fast rule with release valves is they must always be properly open, or properly shut.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystone View Post
    It's single action spring return you bell-end, pressure can't build up in that.

The only hard and fast rule with release valves is they must always be properly open, or properly shut.
    you're right. it's magic that lifts shit... tiny elves that levitate underneath the//

wait. no. it's a fucken rubber seal inside a cylinder...

Bike
    R6
    you're right. it's magic that lifts shit... tiny elves that levitate underneath the//

wait. no. it's a fucken rubber seal inside a cylinder...
    A rubber seal inside a single action spring return cylinder in which pressure cannot build since it is single action. I think the concept could be dumbed down more to your speed, but grunts and gesturing probably don't convey well over the forums...

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Dat gummit! You beat me to it again!!!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Did they pay for the 15 minute argument?

Thread Information