Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's all about the tourists, but not the foreign ones.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I dont think there is such a thing as an age limit for tyres is there as I have just replaced my car tyres after 15 years and if they had shown any deterioration due to age it would have been picked up during a WOF I would have thought. In the example you give if the trailor has been sitting for months on tyres that are half flat it would be the
    damage due to them not being rotated regularly that would cause the ageing.
    Your first three words are right on the money. The rest is as usual gibberish.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I dont think there is such a thing as an age limit for tyres is there as I have just replaced my car tyres after 15 years and if they had shown any deterioration due to age it would have been picked up during a WOF I would have thought. In the example you give if the trailor has been sitting for months on tyres that are half flat it would be the
    Did you replace the spare?
    Oh yeah it had been sitting for 15 years, not rotated, that wouldn’t have caused aging would it, according to you.

just how often do you change your mbike tyres?

Does anyone else do this?

you have a truly interesting viewpoint of half baked truths, good luck with that.
    you should look further into rubber ageing.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    A
    I call BS on your 15 yr old car tyre story. But yes I suspect sitting at reduced pressure for extended periods will do plenty of harm...

Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Check you nuts are secured properly. With a proper tool, do so again after 100 or so k’s if you have changed the tyre or rim....

i know I am going to receive some shit for this......

but but don’t ask me how I know

also good to check tyre age or for cracks on the rims or tyres....
    Oh, the old retorque routine. Pays to heed that advice, as many an old trucker will attest

Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Also make sure to take the boat keys with you.
    And remember the sun block

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    It's pretty much that reason I bought a van to haul the bike / other gear around. Trailer would get pulled out once a year, and didn't want to be that guy, plus the storage and messing around with it.
    Just a pain to wash the van...

Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Words, why do you fail me so...
    Well it was a work of fiction I'd think

Bike
    Yo momma
    You get dumber by the post.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    This is another issue that seesm to fly under the radar. Probably because there's been no major tragedy yet that has been attributeable to this.

Yeah those wheel nuts.... seen an axle damaged beyond repair when for starters the mechanic never told my swap driver the tyre had been changed during day and bit of murphys law my torch was flat when we swapped trailers...
    Think seven studs out of twelve were still there when I rolled into Akld, the remaining nuts were as thin as washers..... FYI there was no discernible feel of vibration or noise either and I'm always pretty tuned into whats happening back there.

What annoys me is there was an instance of the boat wheel thingy filmed on motorway cops or ten 7 awhile back on a twisty road (coro?) where consequences could have been devastating and the whole theme was oh you poor bugger delayed on your fishing trip, no roasting from cop....

There seems to be more instances of this these days though, growing economy and population. I don't do holiday treaffic anymore but back when still carting veges seemed every holiday weekend you would see caravan or boat trailer missing wheel. The best one was just short of the mohaka bridge, what could have happened was unthinkable....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I see at least half a dozen old fucked trailers on the side of the Akaroa highway every autumn when clowns who are carting firewood from out at the bach or cut while on summer holidays and attempting to get it back to the city, come to grief...some of these old, rusted pieces of shit are still running around on 16 inch, 40 year old tyres and who would even want to hazard a guess when the bearings were last checked or greased and adjusted...it's a bit disconcerting watching a recently liberated wheel rolling down your side of the road at 60k's, directly in your path...even more disconcerting when a 60k Haines, flying all it's fishing rods at half mast has just swung its arse into your path after the new rim on the new trailer towing the new boat has parted company with the rig and the sparks are flying...

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R

Since the 80s tyres have had a DOM stamp and considered to have a usable life span of between 5-10yrs max

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    No need to replace the spare as I had only ever used it once from brand new. If tires had a non wear related lifespan they would be date stamped like gas cylinders would they not?
    Fuck you're an idiot. All tyres have a date of manufacturing marking for the EXACT reason, and tyre manufacturers generally recommend discarding tyres older than 10 years.

Honestly just piss off, you're such a trollish little cunt.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    My tyres would have been manufactured around 2002 meaning they would have been made with a longer lasting compound technology wise than what was used in the 80s. I never saw any side wall cracking in them which no doubt would be an indication they had aged.
    Ya fuckin thick cunt!!

Bike
    A
    If there was an age limit for tyres it would be stamped on them like gas bottles muppet.
    Well actually, read below...

Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post

Since the 80s tyres have had a DOM stamp and considered to have a usable life span of between 5-10yrs max
    Absolutely right. Only a problem on equipment that doesn't do enough distance to wear the tread before age guideline is reached, which is exactly where Joe Public gets caught out not to mention the lax attitude to tyre pressure checks

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    I mean if you want grand kids sure.
    Can assure there has been no crack on the sidewalls.

Only a problem on equipment that doesn't do enough distance to wear the tread before age guideline is reached, which is exactly where Joe Public gets caught out
    Caspernz.

And any YAAF running on tyres manufactured 2002. Jeez if ya haven't burn out a tyre in that time you should sell the bike and join a car forum, or keep riding on those, what colour bike ya good so I know to stay well clear.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    If there was an age limit for tyres it would be stamped on them like gas bottles muppet.
    Tyre do have a date of manufacture stamped on them. Typically its DOT NNMM where NN is week of manufacture and MM is year of manufacture. In US, and with most sensible owners, tyre life is 6 years regardless of use. Search for rubber rot.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    It could be argued that as the NZTA does not see tire age as an issue as opposed to condition the purpose of the date stamp could be just for any recall notification if a faulty batch has been manufactured.
    Cannot be argued at all, nothing to do with NZTA, it is rider responsibility to ensure tyres are suitable and safe especially on a motorcycle; very basic FFS!
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    It could be argued that as the NZTA does not see tire age as an issue as opposed to condition the purpose of the date stamp could be just for any recall notification if a faulty batch has been manufactured.
    It could only be argued by someone as illogical as yourself only. Tyre manufacturers themselves say tyres need to be thoroughly and professionally checked annually after 5 years, with a maximum 10 years of service life.

It may not be a law, but its called preventative maintenance. BTW, NZTA has no law on how long should the engine oil last, do you not check your engine oil? If you do, why? There is no NZTA regulations for it. If you don't, I concur with Azkle.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    It could only be argued by someone as illogical as yourself only. Tyre manufacturers themselves say tyres need to be thoroughly and professionally checked annually after 5 years, with a maximum 10 years of service life.

It may not be a law, but its called preventative maintenance. BTW, NZTA has no law on how long should the engine oil last, do you not check your engine oil? If you do, why? There is no NZTA regulations for it. If you don't, I concur with Azkle.
    You're now venturing into an area that used to be referred to as common sense. Sadly we had the funeral for this rare commodity some time ago, although the memorial for it will be second weekend in January

Thread Information