Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 50 mineral oil

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

20 50 mineral oil

curently running 20/50 motul mineral in my 2001 guzzi jackal. only got 2 litres,need 3, can i run any good quality 20/50 mineral oil please?
    2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal next a Speed Triple please

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal
    Quote Originally Posted by gravediggerNZ View Post
    curently running 20/50 motul mineral in my 2001 guzzi jackal. only got 2 litres,need 3, can i run any good quality 20/50 mineral oil please?
    for clarification. all the shops are out of any 20/50 bike oil

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Yes..............
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    real men use single grade semi-synth

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    real men use single grade semi-synth
    your taking the piss?
    real men understand the internals of their bike. this bike has a fibre bearing case on a INTERNAL shaFT( fuk knows why, its was discountinued 2004) that gets brittle with semi and synthetic oils. and is a major stripdown to replace.

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Yes..............
    i thought so to. being dry clutch and seperate gearbox oil..

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Supercheap Auto local?

Try this one

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Prod...4-Litre/519021

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    your taking the piss?

you must be new here...

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    First, I assume you mean an SAE 20W-50. The SAE developed the viscosity grade system for engine oils and as a courtesy the initials SAE are used to denote an engine oil or automotive gear oil viscosity grade. Then the viscosity grade is broken in two, the first grade has a W after it (0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W and 25W), this is the "Winter" grade or low temperature viscosity of the oil. The second grade has no alphabetical identification, this is the 'non-winter' grade, the high temperature viscosity, and comes in SAE 8, 12, 16, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 grades. So, any multigrade engine oil is identified as an SAE, winter grade with a 'W', hyphen, non-winter grade, ie. SAE 20W-50.

Secondly, any oil is identified by two characteristics, it's viscosity and it's performance specification. There are low performance SAE 20W-50 oils I would only use to oil the hinges on a farm gate. Look on the oil pack label for an identifier such as API SL, SM or SN. The American Petroleum Institute (API) has developed performance classifications for engine and automotive gear oils. The API S series is for Service station oils, for Spark ignition engines, for petrol engines (the C series is for Commercial oils, Compression ignition engines, diesel engines). The second letter indicates the performance of the oil, API SA was just straight oil used in the likes of the Model T, SN is the latest classification for modern cars with sophisticated exhaust treatment equipment. For best engine protection, look for an API SL, SM or SN engine oil. See what I did there as well, I included the letters 'API" as a mark of respect for the organisation which developed This engine oil classification system. A higher performance engine oil can be retroactively used in engines calling for a lower performance oil.

Actually Moto Guzzi recommended an API SG, CCMC G-4, SAE 10W-40 engine oil for the Jackal. CCMC was the organisation previous to the Association des Constructeurs Europeens d'Automobiles (ACEA, European Automobile Manufacturers' Association). So an API SL, SM or SN SAE 10W-40 engine oil would be suitable for top up.

There is also a Japanese Automotive Standards Organisation (JASO) classification that is commonly found on motorbike engine oils, JASO MA and MA-2 indicate the oil is not friction modified and is suitable for use in transmissions which share the engine oil and have wet clutches. The Jackal has a separate transmission and a dry clutch, so no need to worry about this. Incidentally, JASO MA and MA-2 are specifications that indicate that something (friction modification) is missing from the oil.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal
    thanks old steve. its deffinantly 20w50 in my manual for my 2001 jackal. ive gone with the penrite above .it has a 1200 ppm zinc content which is good and was great value today a repco. not that price is a point, its in and ill be out on it again tomorrow. i have seen desiel oil used as its a much higher qualityy oil. your knwledge is appreciatted. also a z418 filter from supercheap is a direct fit. so noore waiting for filters. I do need sump and tppet gaskets tho next.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    First, I assume you mean an SAE 20W-50. The SAE developed the viscosity grade system for engine oils and as a courtesy the initials SAE are used to denote an engine oil or automotive gear oil viscosity grade. Then the viscosity grade is broken in two, the first grade has a W after it (0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W and 25W), this is the "Winter" grade or low temperature viscosity of the oil. The second grade has no alphabetical identification, this is the 'non-winter' grade, the high temperature viscosity, and comes in SAE 8, 12, 16, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 grades. So, any multigrade engine oil is identified as an SAE, winter grade with a 'W', hyphen, non-winter grade, ie. SAE 20W-50.

Secondly, any oil is identified by two characteristics, it's viscosity and it's performance specification. There are low performance SAE 20W-50 oils I would only use to oil the hinges on a farm gate. Look on the oil pack label for an identifier such as API SL, SM or SN. The American Petroleum Institute (API) has developed performance classifications for engine and automotive gear oils. The API S series is for Service station oils, for Spark ignition engines, for petrol engines (the C series is for Commercial oils, Compression ignition engines, diesel engines). The second letter indicates the performance of the oil, API SA was just straight oil used in the likes of the Model T, SN is the latest classification for modern cars with sophisticated exhaust treatment equipment. For best engine protection, look for an API SL, SM or SN engine oil. See what I did there as well, I included the letters 'API" as a mark of respect for the organisation which developed This engine oil classification system. A higher performance engine oil can be retroactively used in engines calling for a lower performance oil.

Actually Moto Guzzi recommended an API SG, CCMC G-4, SAE 10W-40 engine oil for the Jackal. CCMC was the organisation previous to the Association des Constructeurs Europeens d'Automobiles (ACEA, European Automobile Manufacturers' Association). So an API SL, SM or SN SAE 10W-40 engine oil would be suitable for top up.

There is also a Japanese Automotive Standards Organisation (JASO) classification that is commonly found on motorbike engine oils, JASO MA and MA-2 indicate the oil is not friction modified and is suitable for use in transmissions which share the engine oil and have wet clutches. The Jackal has a separate transmission and a dry clutch, so no need to worry about this. Incidentally, JASO MA and MA-2 are specifications that indicate that something (friction modification) is missing from the oil.
    Hey Steve, what is zero weight oil about then? Ta

Sent from my M5 Note using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Hey Steve, what is zero weight oil about then? Ta

Sent from my M5 Note using Tapatalk
    It feels like water in the container when you shake it. All about fuel economy and meeting silly American ratings - thin oil means less friction with gives them a better economy rating.

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal
    hmmm how long is a engine gon last on 0 oil.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The arrival of synthetics has changed the game somewhat. Some synthetics labelled, say 20w 50, would actually perform like 0w 50 but the manufacturers wouldn't put that on the packaging because people would assume - incorrectly - that the oil is too thin.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    hmmm how long is a engine gon last on 0 oil.
    There was an English engine tuner of bygone days raced a Triumph T100 on SAE 5 which is getting down there. Must've been like sewing machine oil or 3 in 1.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information