Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted on first bike

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Yamaha Tricity could be a halfway option. Its got bike like features but you pay car rego and drive on car license.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/produc...c/15-tricity-0

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    fuck off you retarded cunt.

you're a fuckwit.
    What he said! Fuckwit indeed.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    The sooner you start primary school and learn new words the better. Who taught you those 3 by the way?
    The three he know's are to the point ... correct ... and understood by you. Why learn new words ... ???????????????????
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    $2k will buy a piece of shit. $4k is getting better.

Don't bother with a 250 if you plan heading north Nelson way frequently - it will drive you mad - better with one of the approved larger cc rides. But then you may need to spend more.

Gear - very valid point previously and most important.

If you are wanting to save money for your student life I'd be looking at a late 90's early 2000 Toyota Corolla that has been looked after - the darn thing will run for hundreds of thousands of kms provided you do regular oil/filter changes. Rego is cheap, fuel economy good You'll get air-bags, anti lock brakes and be dry and warm in the winter and be able to cart the kids.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Why waste time saying the same 3 over and over again? All it does is demonstrate that he is what the 3 words say and nobody else.
    YOU ARE A FUCKWIT. I say them on a regular basis too ... so it MUST be true ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Why waste time saying the same 3 over and over again? All it does is demonstrate that he is what the 3 words say and nobody else.
    why do YOU waste time (everyone elses, yours is fucking worthless) posting the same shit, over and over again, in many and varied and entirely irrelevant threads, only to be shot down by everyone else, over and over again?
    surely the hallmark of a fuckwit.

why do i? not that it's the first time it's been said (your fuckwittery obviously precluded this from making it through your thick skull into your tiny brain) but: just incase any newbie stumbles across your horseshit and lacks the knowledge to recognise it for what it is.
    everyone here already knows you're a fuckwit.

you fuckwit.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    . Who taught you those 3 by the way?
    your dad .

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    your dad .
    If you knew him, why didn't you stop him from breeding.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    You have a valid point.

Sent from my M5 Note using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    i honestly wouldn't have thought gaybumsex could result in something he could, or would, raise to adulthood...

Bike
    Still Looking
    Thanks for the responses, I have a helmet and gloves already and was looking at these http://www.leatherimage.co.nz/produc...cycle-jackets/ for jacket and pants, probably the higher prices ones cause they zip together, then getting a back protector to go underneath it.

My mums partner has been riding for years, so I intend to go round all the bike stores with him once they're all open again after new years to sit on a bunch of bikes and try them out. I'll also take him with me when I go look at privately listed bikes for sale.

My current car is a 2.5L V6 Mazda MPV, it cost me close to $15 each trip into chch from my place, at the beginning of the year I was driving my flatmate to and from work in Marshlands, before his work moved to Kaiapoi and it was costing around $100/wk in petrol, then there's parking in town each day. Public transport is $3.75 a trip so $7.50 a day and an hour travelling each way, and I get horrible motion sickness when I'm not driving. While a bike might not be much cheaper than the bus, it will save me a bit over an hour travel time each day and I won't be wanting to throw up at the end of each trip.

This is probably the leading contender at the moment, simply for the bigger engine.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...99cc4dd56a753f
    When I first started looking at bikes 15 years ago the advise I got said that long distance on a 250cc was really uncomfortable, I've been told bikes have improved since then it's not nearly as bad anymore, so will a 250cc bike do chch to takaka ok, even if it's a bit slower over takaka hill? or would it just be too uncomfortable?

I'm aiming to do the ride forever courses and get my learners and restricted (via CBTA) in the next couple of months and get my full around Jan/Feb 2019. The way I see it, I have two options,
    1) I can get a cheaper 125 or 250 that won't do chch to takaka for a year and upgrade once I sit my full.

Pro's
    - Cheaper to start with
    - More options now and in a year because won't be limited by LAMS
    - Might be easier to learn in a smaller bike?

Con's
    - Can't get up to takaka for a year
    - More hassle, have to sell current bike and find a new one in a year

2) I can get the biggest bike I can afford and ride on learners/restricted with the intention of not replacing it for 5 years or so at least.

Pro's
    - Can go to takaka
    - No hassle selling/buying in a year

Con's
    - Fewer bikes to choose from
    - might be harder to learn on a bigger bike
    - More expensive

At the moment I'm leaning towards a bigger bike to start with, has anyone got anything to add to it, or something I haven't though of?

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Starfire

I'd advocate going for the biggest capacity bike you can realistically afford. The Suzuki at the link is a good example of this thinking. Yes it'll be a bit heavier on fuel than a 250 but that difference will diminish if you head further afield and the smaller bike is operated closer to the limit of its performance than a 500 which is having an easier time of it.

The Suzuki Inazuma 250 is another option. It's a naked bike (i.e. No fairing) but it physically full sized and they are around $5k new so secondhand ones will be within your price range. The riding position is fairly neutral and power-wise they make around 25Bhp which is enough to get to the national speed limit with a bit in reserve. Being a twin cylinder they're fairly smooth too.

The GS500 has been around in various guises since the 1980s and is well tried and tested. Secondhand ones tend to be well used and not always that well cared for so cast a critical eye over it or take a suitable friend along to help you if you do go and look at one. Indeed this applies to most of the bikes in the area you're looking as they are often used as workhorses with varying amounts of care taken of them.

Good luck - It may not feel it but you're in an enviable position and the world of biking is worth the extra hurdles it presents initially at least.

Post some pictures of what you end up with.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfire View Post

2) I can get the biggest bike I can afford and ride on learners/restricted with the intention of not replacing it for 5 years or so at least.

Pro's
    - Can go to takaka
    - No hassle selling/buying in a year

Con's
    - Fewer bikes to choose from
    - might be harder to learn on a bigger bike
    - More expensive
    this would be my recommendation ^^

there's no fewer bikes, and they're typically less fucked by the time they're second, third, tenth hand.

and as i initially stipulated, learning on big /fast bikes is no problem.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Lams approved, looked after, just needs to be reged but already complied - was going to be used as a rental so in good shape

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...ea94e1c3a518c4

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    Lams approved, looked after, just needs to be reged but already complied - was going to be used as a rental so in good shape

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...ea94e1c3a518c4
    I like that one, which would be my first choice. Honda quality, 650cc motor, & elevated/safer view ahead.

Thread Information