Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted on first bike

Bike
    Still Looking

Advice wanted on first bike

Hi, I'm female, 29 years old, 5'8, weighing around 85-90kg, I live in Kaiapoi and will be studying at Ara Polytech for the next few years so I'm planning on selling my current car (2.5L V6 people mover) and getting something smaller to carry the kids and a bike for the commute into polytech each day.
    I've been looking at bikes for the last few months to try and get an idea of whats out there and reasonable prices and am a bit unsure of what I need. I know what I want it to do, but don't know what I should be looking for in a bike listing to tell if it's suitable, any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking primarily at sports bikes, I have Fibromyalgia and spine problems and I know from experience riding horses, that a riding position with my heels in line with my hips is comfortable for long periods, but feet forward of my hips with no back support and my back will be screaming at me in 10 minutes.

I'm looking for a bike to do a daily commute from Kaiapoi to Christchurch, but still be capable of comfortably riding Lewis pass and Takaka hill to visit family in golden bay every few months. something I could get a pack rack or saddle bags for would be great.

I've been looking at bikes up to around $2k, but could probably extend that out to around $4k, depends a bit on how much I get for my current car and what the new one costs.

I'd like something that if possible I can learn to do most of the maintenance on myself, or that won't need to much done to it by a mechanic. I used too help my dad work on cars when I was a kid, but haven't done much since then, I can follow instructions though and figure unless I get an obscure bike there''s a good chance I can find instructions or videos online on how to do most of the regular maintenance.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    hayabusa .

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Great approach to asking for help, detail the requirements and expected use. You'd probably be best to look at one of the smaller LAMs bikes, there's lots of them around and they turn over pretty quickly - once people get their full license they upgrade to a bigger bike.

You will have to go kick tyres at all the bike shops you can find, sit on bikes, get the feel of how they suit you. Your commute is about 20 to 25 km, so you could look at anything from a 125 to a 300 cc LAMS bike. You'd be better to have the larger engined bike for your weekend riding.

So theres a lot of choice. Yamaha Scorpio 225, Suzuki Imazuma, Kawasaki Ninja 300, Honda CB300, Hyosung GT250 and X4, Yamaha R3 - some of those bikes may be too new to find second hand bikes that fit into your price bracket. Do buy second hand, if you're worried about getting a lemon then try to buy from a dealer.

But, look on the net at each manufacturer and enter LAMS in their range, then look for those models on Trademe. I rode a Hyosung GV250 cruiser for 20 months getting my learners license, pretty reliable and easy to work on, so their sports bikes should be similar. But stick to those main brands, the Japanese four and Hyosung.

And don't be afraid to go on to the General Bike Ravings page to ask for advice - just ignore Akzels urgings to get a Hyabusa. And post some threads so you can get up to the number of posts that lets you send Personal Messages (PMs), then you can ask someone privately about a comment they've made.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    . And post some threads so you can get up to the number of posts that lets you send Personal Messages (PMs), then you can ask someone privately about a comment they've made.
    i think you've entirely missed the point of public forums.

they exist as an archive of (in kb's case) bad puns and flame wars.

but also, unrelatedly: motorcycles. if everyone discussed shit in private, then searching for "new ride, learner bike, what bike should i get" etc would be pointless, rather than yielding fucking acres of results.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    oh. and a hayabusa is an excellent learner bike. just like supercharged V8s are excellent leaner cars.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    also, OP, since you're apparently resistant to the search function, that 2k is your GEAR budget. anything left over goes into the actual bike.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Akzel makes a very good point, get a full set of gear, good helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots. You'd probably spend the best part of $1500 on that.

Have a look at something like this:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...11675ef4c8db3f

2009, only done 21,000 km, red! It's fuel injected so easier starting. Do lube the chain frequently, you'll get longer life out of the chain and sprockets. I fitted a Scott Oiler to my Hyosung and did about 24,000 km without having to adjust the chain tension.

Running costs of a motorbike are higher, Rego is higher anyway, then there's more frequent engine oil changes (I do mine every 5000 km), chain lube, tyres.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Hey Starfire, you really do need to go down to a dealership and sit on a lot of bikes, before deciding which ones to test ride. If you have back issues, then perhaps a bike isn't right for you. Don't discount a large LAMS approved scooter. The worst result here is that you end up buying a bike that you don't ever use, so do take your time to get it right.

As has already been eloquently stated, getting yourself some robust protective gear and waterproofs too, needs to be a No.1 priority. Your local paper and Trademe is your friend.

Good luck.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    If possible stay away from sports bikes as a first bike as they do not offer much in the way of side vision with their lowered bars and if you try and sit upright on them you get sore wrists. For doing Takaka Hill and Lewis pass I would not get anything below 400cc and idealy 650cc as a minimum. With your medical condition it could be worthwhile hiring a few bikes as any test ride time maybe not long enough to find out if you would find them painful to ride after a period of time. Maybe getting a custom made backrest could be an option to if you do like the better visability non sports bikes offer. With your budget however getting anything reliable over 250cc could be difficult. Good luck with what you decide.
    I would agree with that and also concur regarding sports bikes. The only riders I have known whom fail basic handling, have all been on Sports Bikes

Bike
    suzuki
    http://cycle-ergo.com/ this may help

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    a small CC car would be a better option really (cheaper/"safer"/handles the wet and cold better) just costs a bit more in gas, but rego will be less than a hundy and probably better for your fibromialgea or whatevers

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    a small CC car would be a better option really (cheaper/"safer"/handles the wet and cold better) just costs a bit more in gas, but rego will be less than a hundy and probably better for your fibromialgea or whatevers
    I must admit I side with Scubbo on this, although I question why change your current vehicle at all?

Is buying a bike a false economy?

Questions to ask yourself:
    * what's wrong with the present vehicle? - you know its history and whether it's reliable
    * if you buy a smaller car, is it newer than the present vehicle? what's its history? why is it being sold?
    * you buy a bike - will you use it everyday, even if it's 0°C outside on the July morning?, what's its history? are you prepared for the higher running costs involved with bike ownership? Insurance costs?
    * you MUST factor the cost of your riding gear into the cost of bike purchase

* if you are going to be a student for a year or two, will you have the disposable income to support two vehicles - especially if one of them is a bike?

Just my tuppence worth...

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    this - would be a hoot to drive

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Just out of curiosity... what would a one-way trip on public transport cost from Kaiapoi to central Chch?

Would you get a student discount?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    If possible stay away from sports bikes as a first bike as they do not offer much in the way of side vision with their lowered bars and if you try and sit upright on them you get sore wrists. For doing Takaka Hill and Lewis pass I would not get anything below 400cc and idealy 650cc as a minimum. With your medical condition it could be worthwhile hiring a few bikes as any test ride time maybe not long enough to find out if you would find them painful to ride after a period of time. Maybe getting a custom made backrest could be an option to if you do like the better visability non sports bikes offer. With your budget however getting anything reliable over 250cc could be difficult. Good luck with what you decide.
    fuck off you retarded cunt.

you're a fuckwit.

Thread Information