Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GSX1100EF advice

Bike
    83 RZ350/85 RZ250R/84 RZ350R/84 RZ350K
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Current generation BT45s would be way far in advance of the old Mag Mopus fitted as OEM to the 1135. Had BT45s on the 1100F and never ever had an issue with the front end just the rear when it got worn that it'd do interesting things but the 11 had 16" hoops both ends
    Will most likely go with BT45’s as that’s what I’m running on my Yamaha 2smokes with the TZR being the exception with Pirelli Diablo’s

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Intruder VS View Post
    Will most likely go with BT45’s as that’s what I’m running on my Yamaha 2smokes with the TZR being the exception with Pirelli Diablo’s
    Go with the V spec 45s
    And in relation to what i said earlier about the linkage bushes etc. All that and the swingarm & headstock are critical to getting the best out of the old girl and string line wheels when you refit after the new tyres are fitted.....don't trust the adjuster marks stamped in the swingarm
    The cover plates over the adjusters are only held on with two counter sunk grub screws too so a dab of 243 doesn't go amiss either as they look ugly without them.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Go with the V spec 45s
    And in relation to what i said earlier about the linkage bushes etc. All that and the swingarm & headstock are critical to getting the best out of the old girl and string line wheels when you refit after the new tyres are fitted.....don't trust the adjuster marks stamped in the swingarm
    The cover plates over the adjusters are only held on with two counter sunk grub screws too so a dab of 243 doesn't go amiss either as they look ugly without them.
    Cheers for the heads u in the linkage bushes, if they are just a bronze bush I can turn some up on the lathe, crazy they don’t have seals.

I've never trusted the rear wheel adjustment marks fully so string line it will be.

All this talk is making me hang out for the bike to arrive even more

Bike
    Cheers for the heads u in the linkage bushes, if they are just a bronze bush I can turn some up on the lathe, crazy they don’t have seals.

I've never trusted the rear wheel adjustment marks fully so string line it will be.

All this talk is making me hang out for the bike to arrive even more
    The so-called seals a conical cap washers that have about 1mm free-board around the whole circumference so all the road grime & crud just packs in & acts like grinding paste. And the ol story of the most neglected parts on a bike are the most important

A lot of the auxiliary bits n pieces are the same as on the 750 too, like those rear axle caps etc & a few other items.

You'll enjoy it they're big mile road eaters with genuine Clydesdale HP not the highly strung horses of today. I'm a bit envious as that generation of GSX11s I've got a bit of a soft spot for particularly the slightly earlier EZ model

Bike
    77 XL250
    The swingarm & rear suspension possibly have not been touched since it left the factory. It will be well worth pulling it apart to check. If the reg is (XX)QIB then it is my old one and the lot was replaced 14ish years ago so well worth checking again.

The steering head bearings were a stock size from SKF and dirt cheap.

I had one of each of the Suzuki GSX1100 series. The one I regret selling the most is the EZ.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The so-called seals a conical cap washers that have about 1mm free-board around the whole circumference so all the road grime & crud just packs in & acts like grinding paste. And the ol story of the most neglected parts on a bike are the most important

A lot of the auxiliary bits n pieces are the same as on the 750 too, like those rear axle caps etc & a few other items.

You'll enjoy it they're big mile road eaters with genuine Clydesdale HP not the highly strung horses of today. I'm a bit envious as that generation of GSX11s I've got a bit of a soft spot for particularly the slightly earlier EZ model
    And again great info and is much appreciated

Will be nice to have something with big horses on tap at the twist on the wrist but will be spending some time in the saddle easing into it with big respect for the power and weight I’m thinking.
    My 2smokes I’m more used to and the GSX will be like chalk and cheese so will be easing into it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    The swingarm & rear suspension possibly have not been touched since it left the factory. It will be well worth pulling it apart to check. If the reg is (XX)QIB then it is my old one and the lot was replaced 14ish years ago so well worth checking again.

The steering head bearings were a stock size from SKF and dirt cheap.

I had one of each of the Suzuki GSX1100 series. The one I regret selling the most is the EZ.
    Bike will be getting the complete strip down, every nut and bolt as I have done to my Yamaha’s, if it anything is worn past service limits it gets repaird or replaced and some of the more critical parts get replaced without thinking about it.

Great tip on the head bearings as they will be replaced even if old ones look good, easier to replace parts as going back together than after.

Bike
    77 XL250
    The hilarious thing about the 1135 motor is that you can idle through a 50 km zone in top gear and just wind on when you hit the open road for the ultimate lazy ride.

On a "closed road" the thing starts to get moving at 100 and at 170 you get a real shove in the back as the power arrives in earnest. (Or so I have been told. )

PS: I have the workshop manual on PDF and odd stuff like compatible part lists etc if you need them.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The hilarious thing about the 1135 motor is that you can idle through a 50 km zone in top gear and just wind on when you hit the open road for the ultimate lazy ride.

On a "closed road" the thing starts to get moving at 100 and at 170 you get a real shove in the back as the power arrives in earnest. (Or so I have been told. )

PS: I have the workshop manual on PDF and odd stuff like compatible part lists etc if you need them.
    Ah yes those closed roads amazing how they just seem to pop up when out for a ride
    Mirrors get a bit of a workout afterwards to.

Very generous offer and may be in touch on that one I’ve hunted the web with no luck yet, I’ve found and downloaded manuals for my bikes and others I’ve worked on but the GSX is proving a challenge

Bike
    Mite be a manual buried in this old thread, though some links could be dead by now

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...manuals-online

Bike
    RD400C, GS1000
    GSX1100EF's are my favourite big aircooled bike, so much torque!
    Have owned 3 over the years, sold my last one about 6 years ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic%u00252520014.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	466.7 KB 
ID:	334473

There definitely is a small cult following for them.
    I heard a similar thing about legal stuff in Oz, I read somewhere the sale and resale of them was banned for a brief period due to being considered dangerous

If your monitoring lights are playing up you can just remove the bulbs, I wrote a guide how to remove the box about 15 years ago when I removed mine, it's on the gsresources somewhere or I can dig it up for you, pretty straightfoward if you are handy with a multimeter.

I still have a few spares left over, gaskets, swingarm adjuster cap and maybe a few other small things if you are interested

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Mite be a manual buried in this old thread, though some links could be dead by now

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...manuals-online
    Well that took a while to get through that list but sadly nothing there, cheers anyway

Quote Originally Posted by 220 Ohms View Post
    GSX1100EF's are my favourite big aircooled bike, so much torque!
    Have owned 3 over the years, sold my last one about 6 years ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic%u00252520014.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	466.7 KB 
ID:	334473

There definitely is a small cult following for them.
    I heard a similar thing about legal stuff in Oz, I read somewhere the sale and resale of them was banned for a brief period due to being considered dangerous

If your monitoring lights are playing up you can just remove the bulbs, I wrote a guide how to remove the box about 15 years ago when I removed mine, it's on the gsresources somewhere or I can dig it up for you, pretty straightfoward if you are handy with a multimeter.

I still have a few spares left over, gaskets, swingarm adjuster cap and maybe a few other small things if you are interested

Yeah engine power specs are pretty impressive for an old girl and really into the tough looking 80’s styling, guess the down side if you can call it that is the 80’s handling and stopping power but then that’s all part of the charm.

All ready wasted a few hours over at Gsresources and oldskoolsuzuki. Some great reads

Thanks for the offer and yes could be interested, once bike is here i’ll give it a good once over Then make a plan and parts list so you could be hearing from me.

Bike
    Well that took a while to get through that list but sadly nothing there, cheers anyway
    There's a few PDF files on-line but the sites all want accounts to be created

There's this Haynes manual on TM at the moment

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...8d805c7605616c

Bike
    77 XL250
    Nissin Calipers from the Bandit 1200 solve the stopping issue. They bolt on and only require a 40mm longer brake hose.

The manual file is 54 MB. I will investigate making my dropbox storage available for download. Or I can post a CD to you. Sadly, the only bits I have left are a worn out set of rear brake pads.

Bike
    77 XL250
    The dropbox link. Hope it works... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ax2hwj72a...0M9_gyuXa?dl=0

The usual caveats:

I have had these files for years and they have passed all virus and malware scans. However, if you get Syphilis on any other nasty from them then it is your problem and see your doctor.

If your bike or house blows up then it counts as self-inflicted.

If you are caught speeding then that is the fault of T.W.R. because he is an irresponsible hoon.

Bike

If you are caught speeding then that is the fault of T.W.R. because he is an irresponsible hoon.
    you know what the say about assumption and it's closer to the truth of being a responsible hoon One speeding ticket in the last 25yrs and that was a decade ago for 1km/h over the tolerance limit.
    I sure this bike wont be getting thrashed or having it's limits explored either.

Thread Information