Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: GSX1100EF advice

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    They were $180 a tube about 20 years ago, last time I asked about $220, any refurb done correctly should be as good as when they were new
    Really? because February last year there was a answer in Q&A on a TM auction where the seller quoted he'd paid $150 for a set done by Pole and I inquired about the forks on the XS around April & got the same price quoted (because Tarozzi replacements are $405AU & OEM are $528.90AU). And the forks on the bike in the picture were done in July and cost $150 a fork also
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171111_172219.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	334778  

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Really? because February last year there was a answer in Q&A on a TM auction where the seller quoted he'd paid $150 for a set done by Pole and I inquired about the forks on the XS around April & got the same price quoted (because Tarozzi replacements are $405AU & OEM are $528.90AU). And the forks on the bike in the picture were done in July and cost $150 a fork also
    Fuck knows why the price difference, it was $180 each back when I had a pair done when they were in the run down shack in Carlyle street and whoever I got on the phone told me $220 maybe a year ago
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Exercycle
    Given that the price of chromium hasn't gone up by very much, the differences are in the grinding.
    Way back, he had an in house guy doing the grinding. I believe there was a falling - out and for a while he wasn't doing stanchions.
    I have no idea who's doing the grinding now or what standard it is. The original setup didn't allow for grinding the full length in one go so you got a result where you could see it had been done in several short sections.

Ideally you want them done on a centerless grinder by someone who knows what they're doing and can measure to high standards.
    Do your research before deciding who does your forks.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Given that the price of chromium hasn't gone up by very much, the differences are in the grinding.
    Way back, he had an in house guy doing the grinding. I believe there was a falling - out and for a while he wasn't doing stanchions.
    I have no idea who's doing the grinding now or what standard it is. The original setup didn't allow for grinding the full length in one go so you got a result where you could see it had been done in several short sections.

Ideally you want them done on a centerless grinder by someone who knows what they're doing and can measure to high standards.
    Do your research before deciding who does your forks.
    Find an outfit that does reconditioning of hydraulic rams, eg http://www.jonelhydraulics.co.nz/hyd...der-servicing/
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Fuck knows why the price difference, it was $180 each back when I had a pair done when they were in the run down shack in Carlyle street and whoever I got on the phone told me $220 maybe a year ago
    The only thing I was told when I inquired about the XS legs was if they were bent there'd be extra cost for straightening, they only had fine rust pitting above the swept area and under the headlight bracket sleeves around the triple clamps.
    Same with the legs of the ES in the pic, minor pitting & two small spots in the upper section of the swept area and I did straighten the R/H leg (had a 4mm bow) before they were taken in. And they were done within a week which worked in well with refitting the motor & saved having an awkward bloody lump stuck in my mate's shed, it was back to a rolling chassis inside 7days.
    Pole aren't in Carlyle St any more, they're over in Phillipstown (Mowbray St)

Bike
    83 RZ350/85 RZ250R/84 RZ350R/84 RZ350K
    Blog Entries
    Called Pole and Rotorua Electroplaters this morning.

Pole said 2 options depending on how much work is involved with first being $175 each and if in bad shape which means more time involved $300 each.

Rotorua have pretty much one price of $550 for both and really sounds like he knew what he was talking about.

Wemoto look to be around $650-700.

Good thing is now I have some pricing and options to go on. If this ends up being the biggest issue I’m happy with that.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions very helpful and I’m sure to be needing some more advice over the course of the rebuild so will keep this thread going as long as there’s interest

Cheers

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    this rechroming bugged me 20 years ago when i did my hesketh forks, i had little trust for platers even back then, 'yeah we'll give it a go' is not confidence inspiring
    i was driving past a crane one day and thought who does their shit as they are serious stuff, roturua and from memory even back then it was close to $400

Bike
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE

If you're going to gut out the 750 I know someone who's looking for a set of the secondary covers that fit over the foot peg mounts & bolt to the alloy plates[/QUOTE]

Hey T.W.R the foot peg covers are on the ES, all yours if you want them

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Intruder VS View Post
    [QUOTE

If you're going to gut out the 750 I know someone who's looking for a set of the secondary covers that fit over the foot peg mounts & bolt to the alloy plates
    Hey T.W.R the foot peg covers are on the ES, all yours if you want them[/QUOTE]

Got the PM have replied
    Been off grid chasing chasing sambos up country

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Got The ES home then with a little tinkering got it fired up and took for a little run up the road ran well and sounds good. Not sure what to do with engine may just put aside and wait for a Pop up Kat to turn up with a dead engine. Yes I know the internals are a bit better on a Kat.

Managed to get the 1100 up and down the road a few times to and man yep sure can feel the torque all right, front brakes covered in oil so couldn’t give it much stick.

She’s all stripped down now and the frame is with the blaster, I normally paint my frames but have decided to go powder coat this time as price was good $200 for dip/blast/powder.

Going back to the fork thing again I have measured both the EF and ES forks both are 834mm axle center to top and both lowers are them same length so looks promising so far just need to disassemble to see what maybe different internally.

May need to source another rear brake rotor as the bobbins are loose unless ther is someone that’s able to replace them, I see they are not listed as a part themselves by Suzuki.

Bike
    77 XL250
    'Some say' that putting the disk in a vice with a couple of spacers (or better yet - ball bearings) and giving a little squeeze will solve the problem,
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    What is it with Suzuki’s at the moment now been offered a 98 GSXR1100 cheap, going to look tomorrrow apparently has no spark was told cdi but not sure I will take the gamble with this one as a bit to late model for me I’m still stuck in the 80’s.

Hope to get the EF and ES forks stripped down tomorrow also.

The vise and bearing on the bobbins would most likely work but a bit unsure if best idea as brakes are a wee bit important to muck around with. Cheers tho

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Intruder VS View Post
    What is it with Suzuki’s at the moment now been offered a 98 GSXR1100 cheap, going to look tomorrrow apparently has no spark was told cdi but not sure I will take the gamble with this one as a bit to late model for me I’m still stuck in the 80’s.

Hope to get the EF and ES forks stripped down tomorrow also.

The vise and bearing on the bobbins would most likely work but a bit unsure if best idea as brakes are a wee bit important to muck around with. Cheers tho
    We used to go the other way with the discs from the J onward. A well aimed smack on the bobbins would reverse the conical washers and allow the disc to float freely.
    I'd do the squeeze - you're only limiting the amount of lateral float, not radial movement.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    There’s about 1.5mm lateral float but also around 1mm of radial so the bobbins also have some wear in the in their OD.

The ES rear rotor is a fixed one same PCD etc as EF but smaller OD. Possibly could work if needed in a pinch but would need to check if offset, mount, caliper and toque arm would swap over or don’t be so tight fisted and just track down and buy another rotor.

Bike
    77 XL250
    That is a lot of wear. Never seen one anywhere near that sloppy. I am not aware of a successful bobbin replacement, but what do you have to lose. At the end of the day, it is only the rear brake.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Thread Information