Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 104

Thread: GSX1100EF advice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    1st December 2014 - 19:23
    Bike
    89 Intruder/86 TZR250/85 RZ250
    Location
    Gisborne
    Posts
    190

    GSX1100EF advice

    Hi guys just looking for a little advise (loaded question on here) anyway Iíve come across a pretty original 84/85 GSX1100EF the one with full fairing, correct me if wrong but this should be the 1135 engine which Iím a little keen on but before I go for it and sink a bucket load of cash restoring are they actually worth anything or even what could be concidered a classic?
    Iím not really looking at making money on this one just appeals for some reason, I gather they were a pretty formidable bike in thier time.
    So any advice or things to look out for with that model?
    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    19th October 2005 - 20:32
    Bike
    00 ZX-12R, 80 XS750SE
    Location
    In the distance
    Posts
    4,300
    Yeah the 84 GSX1100EFE is the 1135 motor

  3. #3
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    8,192
    Blog Entries
    8
    Hmm I had to look that one up - I remember the half fairing but don't recall a full fairing job.

    Value? Collectible?

    Was it a game changer model? Or a real dud of a model? Or a Ducati special numbered bike? Or a leaky old English bike.

    The above appears to be the criteria for collectible bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Join Date
    6th May 2012 - 10:41
    Bike
    invisibike
    Location
    pulling a sick mono
    Posts
    6,128
    Blog Entries
    4
    they're pretty fucken heavy and handle like shit.

    pin it and grin it. and i doubt you'll make money on it so only invest what it's worth TO YOU

  5. #5
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,076
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Hmm I had to look that one up - I remember the half fairing but don't recall a full fairing job.

    Value? Collectible?

    Was it a game changer model? Or a real dud of a model? Or a Ducati special numbered bike? Or a leaky old English bike.

    The above appears to be the criteria for collectible bikes.
    the differnec was a belly pan and a differnt decal oh, and a grand more at the time

  6. #6
    Join Date
    19th October 2005 - 20:32
    Bike
    00 ZX-12R, 80 XS750SE
    Location
    In the distance
    Posts
    4,300
    I actually had the full test handy so here's the specs
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Join Date
    19th October 2005 - 20:32
    Bike
    00 ZX-12R, 80 XS750SE
    Location
    In the distance
    Posts
    4,300
    And the test
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,222
    They're a formidable engine - which can easily be made even more so - in a slightly inadequate chassis.

    Finding a good 16in front is a bit difficult now. A 17in swap would sort that.
    Reason is a tool - remember where you left it..... The late, great, John Clarke

  9. #9
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Intruder VS View Post
    Hi guys just looking for a little advise (loaded question on here) anyway Iíve come across a pretty original 84/85 GSX1100EF the one with full fairing, correct me if wrong but this should be the 1135 engine which Iím a little keen on but before I go for it and sink a bucket load of cash restoring are they actually worth anything or even what could be concidered a classic?
    Iím not really looking at making money on this one just appeals for some reason, I gather they were a pretty formidable bike in thier time.
    So any advice or things to look out for with that model?
    Cheers
    why is it all about money, either you want to restore it or you don't, if you want to make money try the share market.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    22nd July 2005 - 00:27
    Bike
    77 XL250
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    1,163
    I got my first one when they came out. I sold my last one 4 years ago only due to old age and a dodgy hip. Thirty years of ownership taught me a few things about them. First is that they will never be a 'classic' and sought by collectors. They were simply the last (and best IMHO) of the air-cooled 1100 Suzuki range.

    Take it for a spin and try not to be put off by the odd front end feeling. It is light and vague but does work well once you get used to it. A whole range of wheels and front ends will fit and engine enhancements are easy.

    Have a peek at http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/index.php for more info.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    1st December 2014 - 19:23
    Bike
    89 Intruder/86 TZR250/85 RZ250
    Location
    Gisborne
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Hmm I had to look that one up - I remember the half fairing but don't recall a full fairing job.

    Yep thatís the one!! But in red/white

    Value? Collectible?

    Was it a game changer model? Or a real dud of a model? Or a Ducati special numbered bike? Or a leaky old English bike.

    The above appears to be the criteria for collectible bikes.
    Not so much a game changer but looks to have been more than up to the challenge from the other 3 Jap superbike manufacturers of the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    why is it all about money, either you want to restore it or you don't, if you want to make money try the share market.
    It appeals to me for some strange reason maybe because i remember drooling over them when new and I was just a learner on a little CB250RS, I havenít seen one around or advertised for many years, love the styling and much better looking than the butt ugly GSX750ES.
    Not looking to make money just donít want to pay stupid money to secure it Although in saying that I paid way to much for one of my RZís but didnít care as it was the model I wanted!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    And the test
    Awesome cheers for the road test article very cool.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    22nd July 2005 - 00:27
    Bike
    77 XL250
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    1,163
    The cost of one is a lottery as so few are around. I recall I got $2300 for mine. Complete and running. Reg on hold and a few spares thrown in. The last one I saw on Tardme was asking around 3500 and looked a bit ragged around the edges.

    PS: They were sold as a end-of-line for a couple of thousand off by Suzuki NZ. They were the EFG fully faired red/white ones. I ended up with one that cost me $1200 in 2004ish. Prior to that, most sold were the half-faired ES model as the EF fully-faired option was an arm and leg more.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,000
    I bought a rough one for the engine a couple of years back, I gave everything but the engine to a fellow KB'er, in exchange for removing the engine, he then traded it at buckets & bits Wellington for stuff he needed.
    It included a mint original exhaust system.
    Bryce may still have some of it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    1st December 2014 - 19:23
    Bike
    89 Intruder/86 TZR250/85 RZ250
    Location
    Gisborne
    Posts
    190
    Well Iíve done it now!!! Iíve taken the gamble on it so now not having played around much actually not at all with the big Suzukiís whatís the things to look out for in reguards to the engine which looks to be the original one as prefix numbers are correct for the model so is still the 1135

    Frame etc should be no worries just the usual strip blast paint new seals, bearings etc.
    Iíve read the electrics can be a problem but seems to be mostly limited to the charging system.

    The bike should be here in a week or so and will give it a good look over and see how the engine sounds before the tear down.

    Cheers for the tip on the exhaust I will give Bryce a call to see if itís still available and what other parts he may have, looking at his web site I see heís selling off all parts as job lots now.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Intruder VS View Post
    Well Iíve done it now!!! Iíve taken the gamble on it so now not having played around much actually not at all with the big Suzukiís whatís the things to look out for in reguards to the engine which looks to be the original one as prefix numbers are correct for the model so is still the 1135

    Frame etc should be no worries just the usual strip blast paint new seals, bearings etc.
    Iíve read the electrics can be a problem but seems to be mostly limited to the charging system.

    The bike should be here in a week or so and will give it a good look over and see how the engine sounds before the tear down.

    Cheers for the tip on the exhaust I will give Bryce a call to see if itís still available and what other parts he may have, looking at his web site I see heís selling off all parts as job lots now.
    keep the oil topped up, the alternators fry when the bike runs low on oil, before the engine cooks itself.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •