Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kaikoura coast road, heard eff all since it's been open

Bike
    suzuki

kaikoura coast road, heard eff all since it's been open

as the title said, haven't heard much at all, like how long it takes, speed limits, many cops etc etc

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    Went up there on the 27th. My opinion might be a bit clouded as It was pissing down from the Hunderlees north.

Gravel all over the apexes in corners on the Hunderlees, One stop/go between Oaro and the Tunnels. I didn't see a single cop after Cheviot.

In my opinion that road is nowhere near fixed, it's patched at best and you'd be lucky to get over 80kmph with the traffic on the road.
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I was going to go for a look one day next week - thanks ms babysteps
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    as the title said, haven't heard much at all, like how long it takes, speed limits, many cops etc etc
    4 1/2 hours Picton to Rangiora on the way back from Wangas, Generally ok condition, about 5-6 stop/go areas or reduced speed, saw 2 cops before Kaikoura none after it

Couple of big realignments which are a massive improvement but there's other places they could have done more to make it even better

Quote Originally Posted by babysteps View Post
    In my opinion that road is nowhere near fixed, it's patched at best and you'd be lucky to get over 80kmph with the traffic on the road.
    It wasn't ever going to be fixed that fast, they said that it was temporary and there will be more road closures after Christmas/New year to let them get on with it
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by babysteps View Post
    Went up there on the 27th. My opinion might be a bit clouded as It was pissing down from the Hunderlees north.

Gravel all over the apexes in corners on the Hunderlees, One stop/go between Oaro and the Tunnels. I didn't see a single cop after Cheviot.

You should've been there the day before then....

I thought it was in reasonable nick, a little bit of grit in places and only had to stop twice.

FWIW Mr babysteps it was showery/rainy south of the hundalees too, and chuckin it down past Springfield. We had to stop at Arthur's cause the gate wench was getting hypothermia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171225_173434.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	334328  

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    As a rule if you don't ride like a Dick the number of cops you see is irrelevant.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    As a rule if you don't ride like a Dick the number of cops you see is irrelevant.
    Aw dude, really? Because I dont care how middle aged, middle class and white I am, everybody gets the sphincter pucker when followed by the filth or seeing one parked up sleeping. Everybody.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    A
    You're supposed to call it rule #4 aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Aw dude, really? Because I dont care how middle aged, middle class and white I am, everybody gets the sphincter pucker when followed by the filth or seeing one parked up sleeping. Everybody.
    Maybe I'm too grown up now, but my way of riding (or driving for that matter) doesn't attract attention from LEOs. So why should I be bothered when one is cruising in my vicinity?

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    so if you go a few clicks over the tax free bracket you are riding like a dick....?

plus a multitude of various " things" one can get harassed for without riding/ driving like a dick ...

never a good thing to see a cop.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    so if you go a few clicks over the tax free bracket you are riding like a dick....?

plus a multitude of various " things" one can get harassed for without riding/ driving like a dick ...

never a good thing to see a cop.....
    Never a good thing to see a cop..........until you have a grievance you want to whinge about.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    And then they won't show up for hours. Then the person in charge goes on leave. It gets passed onto the next guy who is totally disinterested and you or let's say your mate who's actually caught the guy on the stolen bike or the bank lass who's got some leads on dodgy but identifiable credit card fraud, well hold on. Case gets passed onto someone else. Sound familiar?

Geez what a bunch of incompetent fuck ups. No wonder the dopeiest of crims can make a living out of it.
    But they have resource to catch extra rate payers banging a well worn drum which hasn't lowered the road toll.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    And then they won't show up for hours. Then the person in charge goes on leave. It gets passed onto the next guy who is totally disinterested and you or let's say your mate who's actually caught the guy on the stolen bike or the bank lass who's got some leads on dodgy but identifiable credit card fraud, well hold on. Case gets passed onto someone else. Sound familiar?

Geez what a bunch of incompetent fuck ups. No wonder the dopeiest of crims can make a living out of it.
    But they have resource to catch extra rate payers banging a well worn drum which hasn't lowered the road toll.
    Exactly this. My wallet was stolen couple of weeks ago. Noticed it was missing about 6:50 pm. ANZ called me at 7:12 to notify me of suspicious transactions (F*cking paywave) and the card was stopped. $170 odd at Z High St Lower Hutt. Called into Z and they gave me details of the transactions but wouldn't let me see the security cam footage (its a "privacy issue"). Details were given to Lower Hutt police next day, including advice that the perps were on camera at Z. Thought they would be right on to it. Ha. it's gone nowhere. Chances are that by now the camera footage has been recorded over.

Secondary observation - staff at VTNZ can be less than helpful when trying to get a replacement drivers licence, but getting a birth certificate (the really important part of getting any official documentation) takes about 5 minutes on the phone, just need a credit card and names and dates you could get off any genealogy site.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    XB12S
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Exactly this. My wallet was stolen couple of weeks ago. Noticed it was missing about 6:50 pm. ANZ called me at 7:12 to notify me of suspicious transactions (F*cking paywave) and the card was stopped. $170 odd at Z High St Lower Hutt. Called into Z and they gave me details of the transactions but wouldn't let me see the security cam footage (its a "privacy issue"). Details were given to Lower Hutt police next day, including advice that the perps were on camera at Z. Thought they would be right on to it. Ha. it's gone nowhere. Chances are that by now the camera footage has been recorded over.

Secondary observation - staff at VTNZ can be less than helpful when trying to get a replacement drivers licence, but getting a birth certificate (the really important part of getting any official documentation) takes about 5 minutes on the phone, just need a credit card and names and dates you could get off any genealogy site.
    Posts always go off track. Yes it is so easy to get a new birth certificate/ identity. Had the need to get a replacement drivers licence. Had my ORIGINAL A6 size birth certificate hand signed and dated but that was unacceptable. It had to be the new A4 size.
    So provide a name and a cpuple of dates and Im then the proud owner of a brand new A4 birth certificate.The fact they had on record my drivers licence number which I quoted to them . My photograph the phuckers had previously taken meant nothing to them. But a brand new A4 birth certificate and a new photo they took of me and I was all good to go.Does make one wonder how many licences one can aquire easily.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    You're supposed to call it rule #4 aren't you?

Maybe I'm too grown up now, but my way of riding (or driving for that matter) doesn't attract attention from LEOs. So why should I be bothered when one is cruising in my vicinity?
    If overseas jurisdictions are any guide, and there's probably good although not total overlap, every citizen breaks 2 to 3 laws every day. You never know when the police are going to decide to enforce one or more of them on you. Or someone close enough physically to you, to cause you grief or kill you.

For example, someone speeding past a police car provokes a U-turn in the path of an innocent rider.

Then there is what they do on and off duty. Chief inspectors caught for speeding and drink driving but walking away, because, solidarity, no 4kmh/hr rule applied. Rank-and-file-police-caused MVAs. Or a policeman saws off a .22 and decides to kill the woman you have befriended and you, because he can.

To the government, ultimately, no lives really matter. As long as they can tax you during and after. For a certain percentage of government enforcers, it's a feature not a bug. Which percentage the one you're encountering belongs to, you can't know.

It's just sensible situational awareness.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Is doing 104kmh considered being a dick?

Thread Information