Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: kaikoura coast road, heard eff all since it's been open

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Have written about this before, speed enforcement (except for speed cameras) is not a profit making enterprise if you do the maths.

Does anyone know any normal people who have been ticketed for 105 by an officer ???? I think this is reserved for people that fail the attitude test or have been seen doing much worse on road but that's all the cops could nail them for.
    Kinda same as dropping a bag of drugs from the evidence room into a suspects car in a roundabout way. You know they are guilty of worse but pull em in on minor stuff and dig about....
    BTW anyone watch that aussie cop drama on one last night, awesome show...
    not "profit making" but "budget-justifying" which i'm pretty sure rastus covered not so long ago.

"atitude test" is not legislated. the sole porpoise of the enforcement officers, is enforcing legislation, no more no less.
    mother theresa shouldn't get off 101 any more than fucken adolf.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    mother theresa shouldn't get off 101 any more than fucken adolf.
    And yet in the real world, your attitude maketh the difference...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    thus showing the failings of the system.

"don't confuse my attitude with my personality, my personality is all me. my sttitude depends on you"

i firmly rebutt the presumption of authority.

which is also funny. cos most frontline staff of the crown would describe my atitude as "not good"... yet i remain free to roam the mean streets...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post

"don't confuse my attitude with my personality, my personality is all me. my sttitude depends on you"

which is also funny. cos most frontline staff of the crown would describe my atitude as "not good"... yet i remain free to roam the mean streets...
    Oh I've got the same t-shirt. Never said it's right, but for the most part how one speaks to a LEO when pulled over, has a profound effect on the outcome. Not always...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure

Meanwhile, back on the thread's original topic...

Yesterday we went from Chch to Clarence, to admire the road repairs, and found that traffic is mostly flowing smoothly. Although it rained from home to Kaikoura (and back again in the arvo), to my general astonishment, slower cars (and trucks) pulled over to let faster motorists through, no-one was madly driving (or riding) and it took just over 2 1/2 hours from Hornby to KK. Between Goose Bay and Peketa (south of KK) there was only one stoppage of less than five minutes, although quite a few places with 30 km/h limits.

Heading north, there are a great many changes of speed limit until the Clarence Bridge (100, 80, 50, 30) but again only one stoppage of less than a minute. The seals, 100s of them, are sunning themselves without a care around Ohau Point, where the biggest repairs are. The scale of the changes are staggering, with the most impressive being the new bridge at Iron Gate and the whole new section of road, now where the sea used to be, at Ohau Point itself. There's a new passing lane north of there.

There are still dozens of workers on site and still much to do, but the repair work done needs to be seen to be appreciated.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    as the title said, haven't heard much at all, like how long it takes, speed limits, many cops etc etc
    Guy on my facebook riding down soon i let you know . he going post me.
    I be going through there on the 22 nd 23 feb.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    And then they won't show up for hours. Then the person in charge goes on leave. It gets passed onto the next guy who is totally disinterested and you or let's say your mate who's actually caught the guy on the stolen bike or the bank lass who's got some leads on dodgy but identifiable credit card fraud, well hold on. Case gets passed onto someone else. Sound familiar?

Geez what a bunch of incompetent fuck ups. No wonder the dopeiest of crims can make a living out of it.
    But they have resource to catch extra rate payers banging a well worn drum which hasn't lowered the road toll.
    Simple fix seperate the traffic and the poilce side again. i dont think it works.
    With are road toll . we need to change something. we got dog handlers checking of wof . i seen it boody silly.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Yesterday we went from Chch to Clarence, to admire the road repairs, and found that traffic is mostly flowing smoothly. Although it rained from home to Kaikoura (and back again in the arvo), to my general astonishment, slower cars (and trucks) pulled over to let faster motorists through, no-one was madly driving (or riding) and it took just over 2 1/2 hours from Hornby to KK. Between Goose Bay and Peketa (south of KK) there was only one stoppage of less than five minutes, although quite a few places with 30 km/h limits.

Heading north, there are a great many changes of speed limit until the Clarence Bridge (100, 80, 50, 30) but again only one stoppage of less than a minute. The seals, 100s of them, are sunning themselves without a care around Ohau Point, where the biggest repairs are. The scale of the changes are staggering, with the most impressive being the new bridge at Iron Gate and the whole new section of road, now where the sea used to be, at Ohau Point itself. There's a new passing lane north of there.

There are still dozens of workers on site and still much to do, but the repair work done needs to be seen to be appreciated.
    Nice work i might be able pass one car at that rate the Honda forza does do 100kph after all . i do my mm impression ;-) . seals might eat my bike or try mate with it . Headlines man beats of male seals gets arrested.blames Interweb forums for fake news.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500

Betterthan the Lewis

Having ridden the re-opened road 4 times since its opening, I would say that is "just another NZ road".
    Depending on your ability , attitude, the weather, what speed you dare or not dare to go, the ride will be what it is in the day.
    If I choose to exceed the limit that is my choice, Call me what you choose, I dont rally give a fuck for you opinion,
    The road is Good fun in my opinion. Last weekend I went south to Kaikora the via the inland Mt Lyford road to Waiau, 3 1/2 hrs Sweet comfy ride,
    Following day I went from Waiau visa the Leader road to Parnassus then north to Blenheim, 4 hrs. Again a sweet ride.
    Yes there was loose shingle on some corners, stop go signs, dickheads in tin tops, the usual tourist drivers.... just normal in my opinion.
    Looking forward to riding it heaps more times,
    Its far better that that pot hole riddled alternative, packed full of over sized trucks, dumb tin top drivers and tourist in snails....
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    Indian Scout

Still a slow road to travel. Expect delays.

Drove up today. We had to kip at the Cheviot Hotel as they close the road near Clarence and also north of Cheviot at 8.30pm each night. Understandable when you see the need for Mr & Mrs Stop/Go every five minutes. By the way a great pub, excellent rooms and good food.

There was a heap of traffic today heading to Picton? WTF? Couldn't believe how many cars on a Monday outside of school holiday. Interesting seeing the new foreshore that has risen up to greet us. No doubt the local Iwi are laying claim to it as their new rock formations. One sandy beach has large boulders protruding up from underneath sort looks like an alien landscape. Quite the picture.

Did my first *555 near Clarence to report a dickhead who pulled out behind me and overtook 7 vehicles at once on double yellows. One vehicle was a long horsefloat truck, another a van towing a trailer. He had no room to squeeze back in if he had to and was heading at about 130kpm+ towards a crest he had no bloody idea what was coming at him. While I'm speaking to *555 giving description rego, directions she says, oh we are getting more calls coming in about that driver. So I give her clear location with heaps of time for a cop to head south from Blenheim or Seddon and nab him. As I'm talking to her dickhead pulls out again way ahead of me, as we crawled through a roadworks zone with cones everywhere, and overtakes another line of vehicles. But nope. Nothing happened.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Drove up today. We had to kip at the Cheviot Hotel as they close the road near Clarence and also north of Cheviot at 8.30pm each night. Understandable when you see the need for Mr & Mrs Stop/Go every five minutes. By the way a great pub, excellent rooms and good food..
    It must have changed a bit, it used to be a dark stinking hole, of course that was prior to the "non smoking" law coming in and I haven't been there in 20 years, at one stage it was my "local"
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    It must have changed a bit, it used to be a dark stinking hole, of course that was prior to the "non smoking" law coming in and I haven't been there in 20 years, at one stage it was my "local"
    Same. For decades I went passed it thinking, just another run down dump of a country pub. But it surprised me. The meal was top stuff and the room shocked me - in a good way. Clean, fresh and well presented.

As a Kid my parents owned the Wolseley Hotel, Winchester. That's South Canterbury for most of you wondering. So I'm quite partial to country pubs. The Wolseley Owner has deliberately not changed anything to keep it original as possible. The building dates back to 1886 which is impressive.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Winchester. That's South Canterbury for most of you wondering.
    Anyone that has been to the Magpie Madness motorcycle rally would know where Winchester is - I've been to a couple of them, 2008 & 2016.

I was coming back from the Burt Munro rally on my DR650 on the 13th and went through Kaikoura, lots of 30kph and stop/go for roadworks. Probably quicker than alternative route, but not all that much fun. If you don't mind a longer trip I'd recomend going the other way. There were signs saying that the road was only open certain hours, 7am to 8pm I think it said.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    BSA A10
    Same. For decades I went passed it thinking, just another run down dump of a country pub.

I was born in Cheviot and lived the first couple of decades of my life there as well, it was a good place to grow up but the pub was as you describe
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information