Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Inflator

Bike
    2016 Yamaha MT-10

Tyre Inflator

One of my pet peeves is trying to use the gas station tyre inflators on motorcycle wheels. I always manage to end up with greasy workshop hands after fondling with getting the nozzle onto the valve through the massive discs.

So I picked up one of these from Bunnings and it works great. The nozzle is such that it makes it a hell of a lot easier for tight spaces. Good for cars, cycles, balls, etc.

Bike
    Sold
    Good stuff! I've had a similar setup for a good few years, mainly because I don't trust gas station gauges. Bought an Arlec pump from the Warehouse. However, there's about 90% unoccupied volume inside the plastic case, so I chucked the case out and the pump itself is small enough to carry on the bike, along with a repair kit and a digital pressure gauge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	845.2 KB 
ID:	334474  

Bike
    suzuki
    i brought a small right angle adaptor that fit's in my pocket, easy

Bike
    2016 Yamaha MT-10
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i brought a small right angle adaptor that fit's in my pocket, easy
    Yeah I got one too but never ended up using it as you still have to go through the process of getting it on. Now that I can inflate at home I’m more inclined to keep good pressure.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lee View Post
    Yeah I got one too but never ended up using it as you still have to go through the process of getting it on. Now that I can inflate at home I’m more inclined to keep good pressure.
    Under pressure to keep up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I've Enkei wheels on the Ducati - comes factory fitted with a 90 degree valve on the front - rears a piece of piss being single-side swingarm.

Pumping them up I'm all old school and have a hand pump. The mountain bike tyres get pumped up pretty high now days so any pump for them is fine for a motorcycle.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    What do you do if you need air and you're a long way from home ... or don't you ride far from home ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2016 Yamaha MT-10
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    What do you do if you need air and you're a long way from home ... or don't you ride far from home ... ???
    It's not like I don't use the one at the gas station when I have too, it's just always such a mission when you're dealing with Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CO1A03-400x400.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	334483

Bike
    suzuki
    It's not like I don't use the one at the gas station when I have too, it's just always such a mission when you're dealing with Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CO1A03-400x400.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	334483
    i've now got a compressor at home, but used to bend these every time i was in my car so they would work for bikes, till one day i leaned on one with a solid shaft and snapped it...

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    It's a bit awkward but not impossible to use the straight wands, with a bit of give in the valve stems, manipulating the wand into place between the spokes if necessary. No bending or right angle adapters needed. Even at home, the workshop compressor is fitted with a cheap straight wand - good enough for my TransAlp anyway. Maybe different on sports bikes, or for grumpy riders in a hurry ...

Bike
    2016 Yamaha MT-10

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    It's a bit awkward but not impossible to use the straight wands, with a bit of give in the valve stems, manipulating the wand into place between the spokes if necessary. No bending or right angle adapters needed. Even at home, the workshop compressor is fitted with a cheap straight wand - good enough for my TransAlp anyway. Maybe different on sports bikes, or for grumpy riders in a hurry ...
    they work at a pinch on the zzr but i don't mind getting my hands dirty whilst fondling to get the nozzle on

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Fondling your nozzle is all part of the fun of bikin'

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    I think I've ended up putting 90 degree tyre valves on all the bikes I've ever owned.. Even the scooter :P So much easier.. Also, over here the pumps at servo's are constantly dropped and knackered to the point where they're barely accurate so I've just got a small compressor in my garage/workshop which I use to check my pressures and adjust before I head out

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    The pump GUAGES are dubious, true, but the pumps usually work. So carry a guage. As a last resort, you can guess whether a tyre is 'about right' by squeezing it, provided you've squeezed it often enough to learn how hard it should be (ooo err missis). The squeeze-test is not ideal, but it's got to be better than just driving away with a flat or a tyre fit to burst.

Thread Information