Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclists and foam tubes

Bike
    SWM RS 650R

Cyclists and foam tubes

Coming back from my annual Rainbow/Molesworth ride yesterday and halfway between Blenheim and Nelson I saw two cyclists that made me yell out "FUCKWITS".

They had foam rubber tubes somehow attached to their bikes that stuck out into the road about a metre presumably to fend off cars or to simulate riding two abreast. now I am not an angry person and don't suffer road rage, but this really made me want to turn around and ride over their stupid appendages.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Sounds like an evolution of the stupid flags that cyclists used to have sticking out the sides of their bikes, I guess a foam tube is less likely to get snapped off and jammed up your arse.

I'm an occasional cyclist myself, but see no reason for such tomfoolery which is only likely to further piss off other road users, much like the oh so smug 'one less car' backpack covers.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Coming back from my annual Rainbow/Molesworth ride yesterday and halfway between Blenheim and Nelson I saw two cyclists that made me yell out "FUCKWITS".

They had foam rubber tubes somehow attached to their bikes that stuck out into the road about a metre presumably to fend off cars or to simulate riding two abreast. now I am not an angry person and don't suffer road rage, but this really made me want to turn around and ride over their stupid appendages.
    Great review of the Molesworth/Rainbow
    I think 1 metre clearance of cyclists is law in AU now.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    1m overhead? Needs ramps.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post

Wouldn't it be a shame if said foam attachment got caught in a rotating appendage....
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    In Tassie, at least, its 1 metre on roads with posted limits up to 60kmph and 1.5 metres with limits posted above 60... Our roads are so wide, it's pretty easy to do but most people don't know how big their cars are and unnecessarily cross onto the wrong side of the road to go around them..

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    I try to give them a wide berth, regardless of the law, timing my approach to suit. Some are so wobbly that a metre is less than one standard deviation from the mean! Slowing up a bit gives them a chance to hear me coming up too, those without headphones on anyway.

As to avoiding oncoming riders while overtaking, just watch for the wide-eyed wide-mouthed look of terror!

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Great review of the Molesworth/Rainbow
    Yeah well what can i say its a nice day loop from here.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    fuken peddlies

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    fuken peddlies
    Take this brother. May it serve you well.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The law changed maybe a year back - you must give 1m clearance for the cyclist. Which can cause issues.

Some months back heading to Tekapo there were two cyclists with big sticks taped on the back - like tree branches. That was never going to end well.

Just done a week in Arrowtown - I've never seen traffic so busy for 500 odd kms continuously, it was crazy. And among this were cyclists loaded up to the hilt peddling to some distant spot. Now they are entitled to for sure but I wondered about their decision to do this in the busiest weeks of the year and heat.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    And among this were cyclists loaded up to the hilt peddling to some distant spot. Now they are entitled to for sure but I wondered about their decision to do this.
    I've wondered about that myself, when there are 2 wheeled machines with L-twin engines that can get you there much faster......
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Just done a week in Arrowtown - I've never seen traffic so busy for 500 odd kms continuously, it was crazy. And among this were cyclists loaded up to the hilt peddling to some distant spot. Now they are entitled to for sure but I wondered about their decision to do this in the busiest weeks of the year and heat.
    A mate went and did that, some years back. Long distance road touring on a pushbike. He reckons never again, it was simply a crazy thing to do. Narrow roads, high speed traffic etc etc... He loves his cycling but I've seen him getting visibly anti when we see a cycle tourer doing the same thing.

Busiest and hottest time of year - maybe it's the only time they can get out of the regular round of work and family?

If they can stay off the public roads (Otago Rail Trail anyone?) it could still work out. Unfortunately NZ doesn't have a network of cycle trails paralleling main roads yet, there are a few but there's no way it's nationwide.

Bike
    77 XL250
    There a an ever-increasing number using the Pahiatua Track too. With the Gorge closed we have high traffic numbers along with truck and trailer units on a skinny, windy country road. Can they be charged with attempted suicide?
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I've seen at least half a dozen fuckwits over the last couple of years towing their babies on HW75, one 'caring' family were even struggling up to the Hilltop with their 'precious' cargo... fuckwits need to be shot for being so idiotic...

Thread Information