Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rally Tents

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Heartland chips or nothing doing mate.
    Canterbury has to be good for something and this is it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Heartland chips or nothing doing mate.
    Canterbury has to be good for something and this is it.
    that and makikihi fries, good ole south canty spuds.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    [QUOTE=MarkH;1131080414]I might get it out and set it up this weekend, take a bunch of photos and then pack it up (making sure that everything is there and in good order). Then I'll probably create a Tard Me listing, but I wouldn't even consider selling it if I can only get a hundred bucks or any such lowball amount, way too nice a tent to let it go crazy cheap.

QUOTE]

Place a few bonus pies with the listing, it will get snapped up
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    that and makikihi fries, good ole south canty spuds.
    Well I had to Google that but yes they look nice. Mmm 10mm skin on.

Still good fries are only a decent potato fairly fresh, sliced either thin round, Or as classic wedge, or as chunks. 4min in microwave, cool a little. Place in a bag and douse with some rice oil or other decent and sprinkle on seasoning. Shake bag. Morrocan master or Braap, etc. On a tray with some baking paper. Get it right and its better than anything you can buy.

Then splash out on a little end eye fillet, gentle marinade an BBQ over pumice (collects fat and smokes). Sheesh mate, you'll need some nice beer, perhaps Panhead, or Behemoth `Murica. And maybe a nice Sav chaser.

You can live nice for less than a meal out. Don't forget the Aoli.

Sorry what were we talking about?

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Well I had to Google that but yes they look nice. Mmm 10mm skin on.

Still good fries are only a decent potato fairly fresh, sliced either thin round, Or as classic wedge, or as chunks. 4min in microwave, cool a little. Place in a bag and douse with some rice oil or other decent and sprinkle on seasoning. Shake bag. Morrocan master or Braap, etc. On a tray with some baking paper. Get it right and its better than anything you can buy.

Then splash out on a little end eye fillet, gentle marinade an BBQ over pumice (collects fat and smokes). Sheesh mate, you'll need some nice beer, perhaps Panhead, or Behemoth `Murica. And maybe a nice Sav chaser.

You can live nice for less than a meal out. Don't forget the Aoli.

Sorry what were we talking about?
    tis ok, we still drink lion red down ere too, mind you that may be a hang over from me naki days. gonna be a hot one tomorro

Bike
    Blog Entries
    For I'm hungry rereading that. Wonder what's for breakfast?

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Mate you will love the Africa.

I've never ridden anything like it but I have ridden an ST13 and pulled over to check if the tyres were flat. An HQ Kingswood must be lighter.
    With the tyres at 40PSI, they should feel fine! Once an ST1300 is moving over 20kph most of the weight disappears, the bike never feels heavy to me while moving. Despite the weight, it can accelerate very well and moves along just great.

The only thing I don't like is that I get nervous as fuck on dirt or gravel. For a bike to tour NZ on I want an adventure tourer so I'm not so restricted on where I go. I'm going down to the Burt Munro and I'll have a week to travel the SI on the way down, planning on going through the Molesworth station and then Rainbow road, won't be taking the ST1300 for this trip. I know it is possible to ride the big bike on gravel but the DR650 is so much happier on loose surfaces so unless I plan to shove a lump of coal up my arse to make a diamond I prefer not to use the ST1300 on gravel.

I have racks on my DR650 so I can put some stuff in the saddlebags and strap my huge 120L bag to the large rear rack. I've got a new hammock stand that will easily pack onto the bike so I can use my hammock anywhere that a tent would work. I can also use the hammock it a few places that you wouldn't try setting up a tent. I've got a new Silpoly tarp with doors to give me all the weatherproof shelter I need over my hammock.

My plan is to get an Africa Twin with hard cases (panniers & top box) and also strap my large bag over the back seat. It will be great for touring and camping around NZ. My main use for the ST1300 was running up lots of kms on the road, mainly on my 350km per week commuting. But now I'm commuting by car (warmer & drier) which is much cheaper because it's a Nissan Leaf. Now I'm just wanting to own one motorcycle (two is too expensive on rego), I enjoy moto-camping and there is still plenty of this country left to see.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    For I'm hungry rereading that. Wonder what's for breakfast?
    Lion Red ................

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Bleeugh!
    Just thinking about getting the BBQ ready starter some Toulouse sausages then experimental fish parcels with some potato sliced thin, chilli sauce and maybe thin slice of chorizo to keep it interesting, but maybe do that outside the parcel. Never sure with fish, I'm a bit scared of it but usually turns out fine.
    Then I have some Dirty Boots Garage Project to try as a cooking beer (for lubricating the chef you see).

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I got out my Redverz Expedition II tent and set it up to make sure that everything was there (it was) and it reminded me of what a great tent it it.
    After laying out the tent and sliding in the 3 poles I created a video showing how quickly the pile of nylon turns into a tent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_Z...ature=youtu.be Total time from laid on the ground with poles in place to erect tent that you could shelter in was actually less than a minute and only needed 4 stakes.

Had I not switched to using a hammock I would definitely use my Redverz tent. Sure, it does pack pretty big and isn't light - I checked the weight and it is 6.1kg. But it is just so very nice to be able to actually stand up in the tent even if you are 6ft tall. I have used this tent in quite strong wind, properly staked down it doesn't seem to have a problem despite being a very tall tent. You can put a lot of stakes in (8 guy ropes plus about 14 stakes around the bottom of the tent) and you can even buy longer stakes if you really need it to hold up to strong winds.

The bedroom has plenty of options for doors open or closed or mesh only closed for airflow without bugs. The tent is self has 4 doors so you can get as much wind through as needed in summer. I've cooked and eaten inside the tent, even in the rain you can just open up the door opposite where the wind is coming from - you have a choice of 3 doors if you ignore the side the bedroom is on.

The design of this tent allows you to put it up in the rain without getting the bedroom area wet. You basically put up the entire tent in one go rather than the inner tent followed by the rain fly like on my cheaper tents.

Anyone not riding 2-up that can strap a large bag to their back seat should consider a tent like this IMO.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post

O.K so my finger slipped on the mouse, er, so arriving on my doorstep today was one of these very tents. Set up on the blistering lawn in a few easy moments its a cool wee thing, mostly inside. For a 2 man they are pushing it, let me explain. I'm 5'foot ziltch so with a single airbed inside against the wall there is like half a metre to the door and a wee amount at the end which would be enough room for helmet, and riding gear. If it were two person my option is one of opposite sex and she goes on top.
    Sitting on the air bed there is plenty head room to swing a cat, actually had to try this as my curious little grey fuzzy thing wanted to check inside out... er inside of it out as well and she thinks it is purrfect.
    It packs up small, the alloy poles are short and fit in the base/fly bag so will be great to pack on the bike.
    If you are 5'6 or less and want a good single person tent at a good price, locally made with a guarantee (that does not cover very much at all) and is not orange, pink, grey or brown, this be one to consider.
    Last edited by granstar; 15th January 2018 at 20:15. Reason: spalling misstakes

Thread Information