Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It Won't Happen To Me, I don't need to change.

Bike
    A
    The bit I can add is that some view "doing the right thing" as boring.

Whether it be riding in a legal fashion (well, mostly officer...) or any other discipline items, which really comes down to personal responsibility.

My five cents

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Cheers Rastuscat,

acknowledgement and reminders can only be good.

Grabbed the bike to go fetch some more milk after unexpected visitors arrived, helmet & gloves always go together, I had pulled on my Grisport work boots and chucked on a polar fleeze jacket that was handy, the shops only 5kms away Funny how I felt more vulnerable in my jeans and fleece jacket instead of my leather jacket, I am thinking that maybe when I wear my protective clothing it gives me a false sense of security?

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Cheers Rastuscat,

acknowledgement and reminders can only be good.

Grabbed the bike to go fetch some more milk after unexpected visitors arrived, helmet & gloves always go together, I had pulled on my Grisport work boots and chucked on a polar fleeze jacket that was handy, the shops only 5kms away Funny how I felt more vulnerable in my jeans and fleece jacket instead of my leather jacket, I am thinking that maybe when I wear my protective clothing it gives me a false sense of security?
    False sense of security - I'm going to say "No", it just "didn't feel right".

I stand to be corrected on this, but my understanding is that the subconscious associates particular behaviours with particular actions. By that I mean, when you ride your bike - the "action" - you wear particular clothing - the "behaviour". When you do one, the action, without the other, the behaviour, your subconscious is out of equilibrium, it doesn't fit with what you usually do...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    There's a whole field of psychology dedicated to trying to understand traffic behaviour.

It dips into Freud's identity theory, and it's fascinating.

Reinforcing errant behaviour by not having adverse outcomes is one such fascination.

I have thought far too much about behaviour management via psychological messaging. I hurts my head.

I didn't get paid by the Police to think about things, I got paid to do things. But I jacked it in as the things I was expected to do didn't tally with the things I thought would work. There's only so much personal conflict a lad can deal with.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    False sense of security - I'm going to say "No", it just "didn't feel right".

I stand to be corrected on this, but my understanding is that the subconscious associates particular behaviours with particular actions. By that I mean, when you ride your bike - the "action" - you wear particular clothing - the "behaviour". When you do one, the action, without the other, the behaviour, your subconscious is out of equilibrium, it doesn't fit with what you usually do...

I think you are right, I always make a conscious decision to wear what I regard as appropriate clothing for motor cycling and I cringe when I see people in tee shirts, shorts etc, so yes I think it was because it isnt something I would usually do.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer

Announce

Interesting thread, apart from that Cnut cassina's dribble. However, if you all must feed the troll, you reap what you sow. I am now quite fatalistic about my chances of surviving on the roads. I am atgatt no matter what bike I am riding, trail, adventure, sports, whatever. I have been to riding schools and am an aware rider with considerable current experience. In saying that, I am honest in understanding my considerable limitations. I think and reflect on my riding, particularly the mistakes I make and how to improve next time. On occasion I ride quickly and ride with people I trust and know. I also know there is a high chance that something bad will happen to me, possibly caused by me or by extraneous factors. Whatever, I accept this. I believe I do things to lower the risk as well as doing things that raise the risk. To me, this is my motorcycling and it is my passion.

Bike
    z800
    Having just moved to the cantebury region, these accidents aren't doing me any favours with the wife. These just fuel her fire more, for me not to ride. lol

ATTGAT, pay attention and don't be knob and you probably will make it home. Hitting a car head on doesn't seem appealing to me. Or a sheep.

Bike
    Katana GS650 1983
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

For example, I'm driving home from work, my phone sitting face up on the passengers seat. The phone rings, I look down, and there on the screen of the phone is a picture of my wife peering back at me. It's my wife calling.
    Don't look down. Hear the phone ringing, indicate and pull over then look at it!
    YOU ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!! ENJOY LIFE WHILE YOU HAVE IT!!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by IkieBikie View Post
    Don't look down. Hear the phone ringing, indicate and pull over then look at it!
    Oh for heavens sake. Don't be so damn sensible.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifsn8u View Post
    Having just moved to the cantebury region, these accidents aren't doing me any favours with the wife. These just fuel her fire more, for me not to ride. lol

ATTGAT, pay attention and don't be knob and you probably will make it home. Hitting a car head on doesn't seem appealing to me. Or a sheep.
    My new bike arrives next week and the missus already wants me to sell it

Bike
    z800
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Glad im not the only one!!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by IkieBikie View Post
    My car has handsfree, and it mutes the stereo when it rings. Normally I reject the call because I like to listen to music when driving and be distracted that way, rather than having some cunt wittering on. I love cars - you feel so safe.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    What did you get? asking the important questions since ages ago.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifsn8u View Post
    Glad im not the only one!!
    My wife didn't like motorcycles. A couple days ago there was an article about a person here in Canterbury who was involved in a big motorcycle accident. He was someone we knew close to our family.

She now hates motorcycles!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    My wife didn't like motorcycles. A couple days ago there was an article about a person here in Canterbury who was involved in a big motorcycle accident. He was someone we knew close to our family.

She now hates motorcycles!
    We were caught up in that very sad incident. It gave me pause to reflect, but more to crystallise my thoughts on what I do. Perhaps the thread title is very apt after all!

Thread Information