Thread: Thruxton 1200

Bike
    Purple Vespa 250

Thruxton 1200

Can anyone enlighten me, the throttle by wire! anyone had any issues with it?

How complicated is it to "Tune up" can you do it yourself?

With the Thruxton 900 (865) can the noise maker be increased in cubes? and if so to what limit? (reason, mines a carby model, and I want to keep it this way, as I can fiddle with it!)

Many Beer's.
    A condom is to keep ones Pipe clean.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I recently bought a 1200 Thruxton. I've now got some 1400Kms on it and I've not had any issues with the RBW throttle. The different modes have an effect on the throttle response but I find the feel of it to be fine. I've found that 'Road' mode seems to be fine. 'Rain' seems too 'Rubbery' to me and 'Sport' makes things a bit snatchy.

As for the tuning question - I can't help you I'm afraid. I'm sure someone more qualified than me will be along at some point to help you out.

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries
    I've done 27,000 ks on my Thruxton 1200 only ever riding in sport mode and throttle response has always been fine. I replaced the O2 sensors with blanks so maybe you can try that.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    With the Thruxton 900 (865) can the noise maker be increased in cubes? and if so to what limit? (reason, mines a carby model, and I want to keep it this way, as I can fiddle with it!)
    I've seen internet (not local) iterations of that motor where they go out to 1040cc.... If you are prepared to live with the inevitable cost and consequence of doing something like this. By all means go ahead (and post pics) but it will be massively expensive, potentially risky and (I would think) well beyond the skill levels of most DIYers.

http://midlifecycles.com.au/triumph-...nce-warm-wild/ these guys are from Straya.

Don't forget Thunderbike in Nelson too http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/

Once you have done the motor, you will need better suspension (Ohlins shocks, forks rebuilt) and you will absolutely need better brakes. Front upgrade would at least involve floating Brembo rotor, some form of upgraded caliper and master cylinder and so forth. While you are there it would be worth getting the wheels rebuilt with at least lighter alloy rims - or go all out https://www.bikehps.com/kineo/ think about different rim size/width ( but also think about everything else you need to do to make those work - chain clearance, ground clearance, swingarm clearance) so you can make premium sportsbike rubber work.

Be aware that once you have spent say $20k on your $6000 bike, you now have a bike worth $12k to sell, which is maintenance intensive, and probably not user friendly to ride.

I've seen this in the flesh - its stunning: https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...ed93bc73f159c9

same as any custom bike innit? Don't tell your SO how much it cost, and never sell it.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Purple Vespa 250

Yep you told me what I know:

My problem is I like the "Scooter", and I like the Carb's, If the 1200 came with an option for Carbs, i would be in:

I nearly bought the 2009 model 865 Thruxton, but that was fuel injection through these fake injection bodies looking like carbs, I like a set of carb's, why design a fuel injection system to look like carbs??.

Poser's.

Anyway thanks for your quids worth, I really appreciate it, and yes you are quite correct in everything you have said.

Chr's

Bike
    Purple Vespa 250

Sport mode:

Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe View Post
    I've done 27,000 ks on my Thruxton 1200 only ever riding in sport mode and throttle response has always been fine. I replaced the O2 sensors with blanks so maybe you can try that.
    All the time, can I ask why the Co2 censors were removed, what difference? Its a great looking scooter, I am really tempted! but my mate in "JAFA" city bought a New BMW, and a couple of months out of warranty he went to start it, and nothing happened, it had power! his "Chip or card or some such had decided it was at its use by date and shut down, $3700 later he got it on the road again with a new card/chip?

I like analogue and carbs, unless its a Jet A powered object with wings.

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries

Triumph Thruxton 1200

All the time, can I ask why the Co2 censors were removed, what difference?...
    The O2 Sensor eliminator kit was only added more recently. Here's a description of what it does. The throttle response has always been fine. The difference the O2 sensor blanks made was only minimal. I had also removed the catalytic converter with an X-Pipe, so hard to say what difference it will make to a stock bike.

You won't regret buying the Thruxton 1200. It's a beautiful bike to look at and ride. I've had mine for 12 months and clocked up a lot of K's in all weather and it's an absolute joy to ride.

I'd also recommend buying the rear gas shocks and front progressive springs from Tec Bike Parts if you get the standard Thruxton.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170929_193316.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	334710  

Bike
    Street Triple R
    My problem is I like the "Scooter", and I like the Carb's, If the 1200 came with an option for Carbs, i would be in:

I nearly bought the 2009 model 865 Thruxton, but that was fuel injection through these fake injection bodies looking like carbs, I like a set of carb's, why design a fuel injection system to look like carbs??.

Poser's.

Anyway thanks for your quids worth, I really appreciate it, and yes you are quite correct in everything you have said.

Chr's
    The guys at First Yrpean put (part) of the EFI system off a Daytona 675 (2 of the 3 throttle bodies) onto an aircooled 865 motor with a fair bit of fuckery.

Effectively you want to do the reverse, which you would think must be do-able: start with some Keihin FCR's (say 2 x 41mm?) build a rack so they sit properly, build a linkage, get a throttle and some cables..... making the ECU work might be entertaining because the fuel and ignition and all that malarkey all work together......
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Purple Vespa 250

Ooooooooooohhhhhhgr

Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe View Post
    The O2 Sensor eliminator kit was only added more recently. Here's a description of what it does. The throttle response has always been fine. The difference the O2 sensor blanks made was only minimal. I had also removed the catalytic converter with an X-Pipe, so hard to say what difference it will make to a stock bike.

You won't regret buying the Thruxton 1200. It's a beautiful bike to look at and ride. I've had mine for 12 months and clocked up a lot of K's in all weather and it's an absolute joy to ride.

I'd also recommend buying the rear gas shocks and front progressive springs from Tec Bike Parts if you get the standard Thruxton.
    Mate: She is gorgeous! The sound of purring out those pipes must be mesmerizing!

As for mine, I have some Sorry Hagon (gas on the rear). and I have modified the front end with some stainless tubing, and fitted a pair of Valve springs from a Big Diesel ??? under the caps.
    what does your bum feel like after 2-3 hours ??
    When I re figure out how to attache a photos I shall do so.
    Last edited by crack; 12th January 2018 at 19:33. Reason: quoted shocks off old Zed

Thread Information