Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Them dangerous group rides...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    You read wrong. Again.

The Rimutaka Hill road is a very short and insignificant ride and recent "improvements" have made it even less interesting. The main attraction for Wellington riders is that it's almost on their door step. It really doen't justify inclusion on anybody's list of top rides.
    And yet it's still claimed plenty of 'victims'.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    So you went on a civilised group ride? If it was your very first you did indeed get lucky as they are not all the same especially on the road between ChCh and Akaroa. The forecast for Sunday in ChCh is fine so I bet all the crazy group riders will be out on that road and I bet none of them would have been spooked by the motorcycle death on the road last Sunday. There is a road in the North Is called The Takas (I think) that also attracts crazy group riders from what I have read.
    you're a fuckwit

Bike
    A
    So you went on a civilised group ride? If it was your very first you did indeed get lucky as they are not all the same especially on the road between ChCh and Akaroa. The forecast for Sunday in ChCh is fine so I bet all the crazy group riders will be out on that road and I bet none of them would have been spooked by the motorcycle death on the road last Sunday. There is a road in the North Is called The Takas (I think) that also attracts crazy group riders from what I have read.
    Nah, not my first. But it is my choice to ride with those who have a certain standard or at least attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    A suspected training ride is not your average 'group ride' as everyone is on the same page.... nice troll attempt though...
    Whether it be a training ride with 3 to 5 riders, or a social outing with a dozen or more, doesn't really matter. I'm countering the blanket notion expressed by some that all group rides are dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    You read wrong. Again.

The Rimutaka Hill road is a very short and insignificant ride and recent "improvements" have made it even less interesting. The main attraction for Wellington riders is that it's almost on their door step. It really doen't justify inclusion on anybody's list of top rides.
    Every town has a local scratchers' road, for Wellington the Rimutaka Hill certainly used to fit that description. Chch has the Akaroa GP. So in that sense, whilst the Rimutakas are only a brief stretch of road the number of incidents is relatively high. Just like the Akaroa GP

Quote Originally Posted by mrchips View Post
    What is all this forward observation, situational awareness & SSV you speak of ?...... how on earth do you manage to wave to other bikers with all that going on.

Honestly.. is this some new age fandangle cappuccino latte superpower ?
    Oh it's in a book that I put under my pillow. Learning by osmosis is the new way

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's still claimed plenty of 'victims'.
    As does any favourite stretch of road for those who choose to ride beyond their ability.
    Thanks for the red rep by the way, just lucky I'm not hanging out for approval on KB, merely stemming the tide of BS that comes from one corner. Over and over and over and over...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Thanks for the red rep by the way
    Cry me a fucking river.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Cry me a fucking river.
    Get back to the kitchen....your cannabis muffins are burning

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    It would have been some years back on here that it was said that road was popular with group riders. Maybe Wellington group riders will just have to come south to relive their past thrills on the ChCh to Akaroa Rd.
    you're a fuckwit

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I remember there was a story in the media a year or so ago about a guy that died on that road
    and a reported coment from a mate said he was a "good" rider but that would not be the case if they were
    at fault though.
    you're a fuckwit

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Get back to the kitchen....your cannabis muffins are burning
    My baking is never anything but perfect.

Bike
    TF125
    I can vouch for this.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    That's what you getting using cabbage, though most of you conspiracy theorists are wackjobs living a world of delusion

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    It's a hot button topic I know, but today I went on a group ride

No dogs were harmed

We used forward observation, situational awareness, good positioning and SSV, made good progress, did some overtakes even

No speeding tickets, although I did go thru a booze bus stop late today

There were no evasive actions required, we must have been lucky

Never had to think about putting a foot down mid corner, even though I've been reading somewhere this would be an excellent idea

What just didn't make sense is how all the stuff I've read somewhere, or heard about on the yootoobs, never happened to us

My biggest hurdle right now is whether to have a beer or do some more homework
    Where was my invite?
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Wellington group riders will just have to come south to relive their past thrills on the ChCh to Akaroa Rd.
    While my memory suggests Christchurch to Akaroa is superior to the Rimutaka Hill road, the bar is still set fairly low. Neither of those should make any serious list of top rides. Akaroa though is a lovely place to have fish and chips by the sea. (I was lucky the tide was in too.)

Having said that twice now I suppose I should give some examples of what I do consider a top ride? SH43, The Forgotten World Highway, The Gentle Annie (Taihape to Hastings), the Lewis Pass (pre Kaikoura dramas), and Greymouth to Wanaka (West Coast Highway plus?). I have done all of those both solo and with groups, without anyone hitting dogs or being under pressure to keep up. And at times we were definitely making progress.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Another road that is a good one is the Crown Range Rd between Queenstown and Wanaka. This is a very popular tourist route sinilar to ChCh to Akaraoa and takes about the same time between ChCh and Wanaka. While I do it about twice a year in my car I have not done it for years on my bike.
    Been there done that, on a group ride too, but again it's only a short burst. We stayed at the Cardrona pub, but I'd have rather stayed at the flash new place next door.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    I remember there was a story in the media a year or so ago about a guy that died on that road
    and a reported coment from a mate said he was a "good" rider but that would not be the case if they were
    at fault though.
    You are a fuckwit
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    You are a fuckwit
    And you're a broken fucking record.

Along with all the other broken fucking records.

Thread Information