Thread: 2 stroke LAMS approved dirt bike

Bike
    honda

2 stroke LAMS approved dirt bike

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 2 stroke dirt bike that complies with LAMS. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    You want a DT230, about the only option unless you go vintage.

Bike
    TF125
    DT230, CRM250, Unicorn poo?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squidy View Post
    Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 2 stroke dirt bike that complies with LAMS. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
    As I recall ... the only bikes on the banned list (250cc or under) are road bikes.

Any dirt bikes 250cc or under (and road legal) ... are automatically LAM's class motorcycles.

Those 2 strokes over 250cc ... if they aren't on the list ... you can apply to get them added to the list.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    As I recall ... the only bikes on the banned list (250cc or under) are road bikes.

Any dirt bikes 250cc or under (and road legal) ... are automatically LAM's class motorcycles.

Those 2 strokes over 250cc ... if they aren't on the list ... you can apply to get them added to the list.
    It's pretty much exactly the same system over here. The only non-lams bikes which are 250's or smaller are the RS250, NSR250, TZR250, RGV250 and KR1.. As far as I know, nothing else is specified as not allowed but it's still probably worth contacting the Ministry of Transport or NZTA just to double check.. Surely there's someone there who could say "yes" or "no" if you ask if any specific models are on their list

HERE'S THE NZ LAMS LIST

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    KTM 300 exc is on the list
    So anything under with a road kit I assume would be ok??

Jeepers there's some grunty bikes on that list?
    I'd hate for my son to be making the same errors he made on his 250 hornet on a 525exc ??
    Nothing bad about doing your time on a GN250 or similar?
    Not so sure about some of those bikes for learners ???
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Eh, it goes off a power to weight ratio.. Sure some of the 400cc+ have a bit of poke but if you got off one and jumped onto a 600 supersport (or vice versa) you'll realise how comparatively tame they are. For learners, the worst thing would be the weight of some of them, like a Hyosung GT650R.. They weigh about 90 metric tonne but they're not exactly spritely..

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    KTM 300 exc is on the list
    So anything under with a road kit I assume would be ok??

Jeepers there's some grunty bikes on that list?
    I'd hate for my son to be making the same errors he made on his 250 hornet on a 525exc ??
    Nothing bad about doing your time on a GN250 or similar?
    Not so sure about some of those bikes for learners ???
    The dirt bikes are more about the gearing ratio's rather than outright top speeds.

Many dirt bikes were fitted with road tires and higher gearing for use as commuters weekdays ... and spare rims with the dirt tires and low speed cogs for weekends.

When I lived in Wellington ... the XL500's were popular for this.

Looking at the LAM's list .... I see the Kawasaki 350S2 is approved ... ??? ... who needs dirt bikes if you ride that ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    DT230, CRM250, Unicorn poo?
    Yup. But they do come up. I'm lucky enough to have both. Not sure I would put a complete NooB on either of them, certainly not the CRM with a pipe on it. I wonder if TDR's are LAM's? Prolly not..

Gasgas Pampera can go on the list. KDX SR's are road legal, too. 200, 220 and 250. Pretty sure Suzuki did a RMX 250, or some such, which was road legal and well loved.

A lot of the older enduros/trailies are on the LAMS list. Such gentle things as IT 490's.. My mate has a PE 400X which will be going back on the road at some point.

If the wallet is flush I'm pretty sure GG, Sherco and maybe Beta do road legal enduros. They do road legal trials bikes.
    Husqvarna may be worth a look as well. IIRC their was a road legal 2t enduro on tardme a couple of years ago. New, oe road gear.

Another option would be to import a DT or CRM from Japan, plenty about, but it is a faff. Importing the classic trailies to the UK is big business. Me Dad recently bought a KDX 2##SR off a dealer in the UK. It had about 2000 mls on it, mint.

The CRM is considerably heavier but better off road, engineered like a brick khazi and with a bit of time in the shed goes like a cut cat. The DT is a 2t marvel, lighter, leccy start and kick start, better brakes, worse suspension. Can be really placid or if you re-jet, (WR 200 jets) and open the power valve it gets quite rabid. Fuel economy gets scary. Might as well add the WR 200 2t to the list, they were road legal.

The old 2t's are great (ish) on the road, reliable, fun, and decent seat foam, did I say fun? Great for trail riding but too many bits to break and a bit heavy for competitive off road. The new enduros with road kits are fun but a pain in the arse... Literally.

I love my old trailies!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The dirt bikes are more about the gearing ratio's rather than outright top speeds.

Many dirt bikes were fitted with road tires and higher gearing for use as commuters weekdays ... and spare rims with the dirt tires and low speed cogs for weekends.
    Yeh but not for learners.
    Higher gearing, street tyres and change the power valve setting (easy on a KTM300) and you have a 90kg, wheelstand, 2 stroke weapon of a Motard.
    Exactly my point lol. I reckon to much for a complete newby compared to the old rules of a 250GN or Hornet.
    My first bike 2 stroke 250 F11 Kawasaki was bad enough. I'd have been long dead on a KTM300 lmao.

My 2c only, I think they have it all wrong for a 15 year old starter ( sounding old aye).
    Enough said dont wanna highjack the thread and given enough life threatening LAMS ideas away LOL.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Yeh but not for learners.
    Higher gearing, street tyres and change the power valve setting (easy on a KTM300) and you have a 90kg, wheelstand, 2 stroke weapon of a Motard.

Enough said dont wanna highjack the thread and given enough life threatening LAMS ideas away LOL.
    Yup, my oldies fit that description (with more weight). They will bite if you're heavy handed and slack arsed. 2t's have not developed that much if you ignore FI. I fantasize about getting the CRM vinned and tarding it... Then I realise I will definitely, absolutely, visit the scenery high on 2t fumes, adrenaline and hair trigger throttle response.

Anyhoo, keen to see where this thread goes. Keep us up to date OP.

Ning ning for the win.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Just to keep the juices flowing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRM FMF Gnarly.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	334821
    Manopausal.

Bike
    honda
    Whats everyone's thought on a road legal Yamaha yz125? I was thinking maybe a yz80 but they seem to small of a bike.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by squidy View Post
    Whats everyone's thought on a road legal Yamaha yz125? I was thinking maybe a yz80 but they seem to small of a bike.
    Is it already registered and on the road? If not, probably a PITA and many pesos to get it compliant.

If it is on the road it will be peaky, no revs, no go, and have poor gearing for road speeds. Damned uncomfortable, too. Their is also the risk of nipping it up with sustained wide open throttle on the road. A number of 2t mx bikes seize up on 90 mile beach after being thrashed for a few k's then closing the throttle. No fuel / oil mix to cool that hot wee cylinder when the throttle closes.

The old 2t trailies (DT, CRM, RMX etc) have mildly tuned motors and oil pumps on the bike to make the motors more durable for the road.

A YZ 125 would be fun but I doubt it would last long. A YZ 80 does not appeal at all. Chainsaw with wheels.

May I ask why a 2t? Some good wee 4t's will tick your boxes.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Just to keep the juices flowing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRM FMF Gnarly.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	334821
    Got one around the back of the garage. Doesn't look quite as tidy as the one pictured, but it's a runner.

Thread Information