Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 19 years old german w&t

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Don't encourage foreigners to cash in on a system they haven't made any contributions to.
    OR reciprocate in their own countries.

BUT ... greater minds than ours (apparently) decided it was a great idea. Who are we to argue ... ???

oh wait ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    You don't 'drive' a motorcycle in NZ. You 'ride' it!
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    You don't 'drive' a motorcycle in NZ. You 'ride' it!
    Unless it's a Harley of course.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterNZ View Post
    Some more practical questions: The A2 license is limited to 35 kw which is 47 HP (PS = Pferdestaerke which translates into HP Horse power) and a max weight to power ratio of 0.2 kw per kg (0.27 HP per kg). How does this translate into our LAMS system? Is a 19 year old tourist allowed to drive any bike with 47 hp ignoring our LAMS regulations? Or is he allowed only to drive a LAMS bike?

Now fire away....

Cheers

Peter
    Simple answer ... if YOU are unfamiliar with (or need to ask) how the NZ lams system works ... YOU are hardly qualified to question him or the system HE is familiar with.

In short ... our lams system is ... 150 kilowatts per tonne AND. an upper engine capacity of 660cc. An entirely different system to that in Germany.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Umm, really? It is better to get riding practice in a foreign environment with foreign rules and foreign driving behaviour? Please allow me to disagree.

Fact is if the New Zealand rules apply to you (which I hope) you are simply not allowed to take someone with you, no matter whether you "know the road and stuff" or not. Let me spell it out in capitals again: "NO PASSENGERS FULL STOP" if you are on a restricted license. This already tells me that you don't seem to know the rules here.

Where have I heard this before? I am sure others who are not with us anymore thought the same, that they are absolutly[sic] careful . Would I take the responsibility to look after a 19 year old tourist with almost no riding practice? Probably not.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to spoil your holidays. I even know how you think because me too was once 19 and rode a bike. Now I am over 50 and I worry about you. Maybe let's agree to take a mix of the two of us, Me being worried and you being self-confident. Just take it easy and be relaxed but still awake and attentive. Please read the other answers here, there are some brilliant points raised. ALso this post on the forum is recommended: It Won't Happen To Me, I don't need to change.

Cheers and have a great holiday.

Peter
    Jesus fucking Christ you must be fun at parties.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Fact is if the New Zealand rules apply to you (which I hope) you are simply not allowed to take someone with you, no matter whether you "know the road and stuff" or not. Let me spell it out in capitals again: "NO PASSENGERS FULL STOP" if you are on a restricted license. This already tells me that you don't seem to know the rules here.

NOWHERE in this thread does the OP mention he intends taking a passenger.

As for the 19 year old (German) tourist that killed his passenger ... I have yet to find mention of him being charged also with any license offences.

Bike
    xxx
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    They DO ... actually ...

NZ ACC is NO FAULT medical insurance.
    We can keep on splitting hairs but it gets boring. ACC pays all medical bills. I say it again, I was talking about damage to other people. ACC doesn't pay funeral cost, transfer cost to your or their home country, legal cost, damages to property, cars, reparation payments like in the case of the guy who killed his friend ($5000) etc.

Do you seriously suggest to a 19 year old tourist to drive around the country without insurance? And that ACC is a valid replacement for an insurance?

Cheers

Peter

Bike
    Kawasaki z750
    Thanks a lot for all your comments.
    I've just driven to tairua with an older man who showed me the exact point of the accident you mentioned and told me about driving in new zealand. He was very experienced unfortunatly just by car and had some usefull informstion for me. I have a few things to solve before getting on a bike so i try to get used to the streets by driving with kiwis around here. That worked out very well thanks to the kiwis open minds and corteousity?
    So my last problem is, that i am alone does somebody know a place or a methode to meet other kiwibikers and hopefully some travellers ?

Bike
    S1000RR
    We can keep on splitting hairs but it gets boring. ACC pays all medical bills. I say it again, I was talking about damage to other people. ACC doesn't pay funeral cost, transfer cost to your or their home country, legal cost, damages to property, cars, reparation payments like in the case of the guy who killed his friend ($5000) etc.

Do you seriously suggest to a 19 year old tourist to drive around the country without insurance? And that ACC is a valid replacement for an insurance?

Cheers

Peter
    He's traveling, not going to a fucking war.

Just when we thought we got rid of Cassina, another idiot with head stuck up his ass pops up.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

Cheers

Peter
    A fucking shit-load of KIWI's do it all the time (but don't make the news). What makes them so special ... ???

I made NO claim it (ACC) was anything other than MEDICAL insurance.

Only 8% of foreign drivers are involved in serious crashes ... so 92% of the crashes are KIWI's ...

Start giving THEM a hard time and leave the visitors alone ...

Bike
    Kawasaki z750
    Another question just popped up while thinking about costs. I know it depends on many things, but do you know how much it will be for 100km in mountains ?

Bike
    Kawasaki z750
    Sry, forgot to say ä. Its about fuel (petrol)

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole8991 View Post
    Sry, forgot to say ä. Its about fuel (petrol)
    On a bike like yours and with a fairly sensible riding style you should be able to get 18-20Km/litre. So - 100Km would be 4-5 Litres of fuel. So - $10-15 depending on fuel prices where you are.

There are lots of good points made in the posts above. Only you know how careful a rider you are. Enjoy NZ for the biking paradise that it is and ride so that you'll be able to come back and enjoy it again in the future.

Enjoy.

Bike
    xxx
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ you must be fun at parties.
    Yes I am, thanks for recognizing this.

Cheers

Peter

Bike
    xxx
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    He's traveling, not going to a fucking war.

Just when we thought we got rid of Cassina, another idiot with head stuck up his ass pops up.
    Am I right in saying that you want to get rid of me because you think I am an idiot? I knew that this is a great community here.

Thank you for being respectful and open minded. I think it is great how you accept other people's opinion. Keep it up.

Cheers

Peter

Thread Information