Thread: Coromandel Loop Update

Bike
    Sold

Coromandel Loop Update

Most people would have heard about the damage to the Thames coast road from the recent storm but if you haven't seen photos, some of them are here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...f-deja-vu.html . For anyone contemplating the full Loop, the Thames-Coro coast road is open but there are some really rough patches. Not too bad on a dual sport/adventure bike but can be a bit hairy on a normal road bike, especially if it's wet as there's a lot of mud and stones about. The southbound lane isn't as bad as the northbound one, which took the brunt of the storm. However, road conditions aside, it's all the stop-go and temporary traffic lights which take all the joy out of travelling on this stretch at present. Normally, it takes a bit under an hour to travel from Coromandel Town to Thames. It took one of my neighbours 1.75 hours a couple of days ago. This will vary depending on the level of reconstruction going on at the time.

If anyone is hell-bent on coming to the Peninsula in the next couple of months, the east coast road is fine. Not quite sure why you'd want to come at a time when the roads are choked with holidaymakers though .

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Not quite sure why you'd want to come at a time when the roads are choked with holidaymakers though .

Cheers,

Geoff
    Which is why I never go near there until February...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Wise man . I can't even get near the boat ramp on our own street because it's chokka with effin' holidaymakers. Can't ride, can't fish...... ah well, a good time to tackle all those never-ending domestic "Honey do" jobs that my wife is getting pissed offabout

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Most people would have heard about the damage to the Thames coast road from the recent storm but if you haven't seen photos, some of them are here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...f-deja-vu.html . For anyone contemplating the full Loop, the Thames-Coro coast road is open but there are some really rough patches. Not too bad on a dual sport/adventure bike but can be a bit hairy on a normal road bike, especially if it's wet as there's a lot of mud and stones about. The southbound lane isn't as bad as the northbound one, which took the brunt of the storm. However, road conditions aside, it's all the stop-go and temporary traffic lights which take all the joy out of travelling on this stretch at present. Normally, it takes a bit under an hour to travel from Coromandel Town to Thames. It took one of my neighbours 1.75 hours a couple of days ago. This will vary depending on the level of reconstruction going on at the time.

If anyone is hell-bent on coming to the Peninsula in the next couple of months, the east coast road is fine. Not quite sure why you'd want to come at a time when the roads are choked with holidaymakers though .

Cheers,

Geoff
    Thanks for the update Geoff. Good job I managed to get up your way late last year then!

I've a jetski for sale if that'd be better for you to get about on!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Thanks for the update Geoff. Good job I managed to get up your way late last year then!

I've a jetski for sale if that'd be better for you to get about on!
    Cheers Lee. Jetskis are for city folk. I'd receive the same level of scorn with one of those as I would if I washed my 4x4 more than once a year

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I came back at the height of the storm and high tide.
    No worries on the east coast road. At 10 pm.

Just lots of pine needles in exits of corners.

Not the shells and debris I saw at Kaiaua a week later.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Did a loop middle of December 2017, on a weekday mind you, felt like the calm before the storm...

Cheers Lee. Jetskis are for city folk. I'd receive the same level of scorn with one of those as I would if I washed my 4x4 more than once a year
    Sorry sir but your statement needs a soundtrack...

https://youtu.be/myhnAZFR1po

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Did a loop middle of December 2017, on a weekday mind you, felt like the calm before the storm...

Sorry sir but your statement needs a soundtrack...

https://youtu.be/myhnAZFR1po
    That's exactly the one Rob . The squealing wild pigs can be found about 4km down the 309 road where they get fed by one of the feral locals

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Sounds like a great adventure ride, down to Coro then round the back and over the 309.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Sounds like a great adventure ride, down to Coro then round the back and over the 309.
    The 309 is dangerous enough on my pushbike Rob, let alone with an engine - all those white tourist vans who haven't got a clue about driving on metal.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    309?
    Tapu - Coroglen?
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    309?
    Tapu - Coroglen?
    Nope, the 309 Road runs east from about 3 km south of Coromandel Town across to about 5km south of Whitianga. Most of it is unsealed and runs through beautiful scenery. Ok on an adventure bike or similar but less so with normal road tyres.

I travelled on the Thames coast road on Saturday. They've done a remarkable job of fixing it and there are only a couple of short stretches of gravel which are fine. It only took me an additional 15 minutes because of a combination of speed restrictions and temporary stop-go's and traffic lights. However, It will depend on what they are working on at the time - could be a lot more. Main thing is that the road is just fine for bikes again.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    That's good news Geoff. Happy days - Ideal for a VStrom then???

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Looks.......interesting! A bit like the Tapu Coroglen Rd, just further north......
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Looks.......interesting! A bit like the Tapu Coroglen Rd, just further north......
    You got it! Both have ferals living along them too

Thread Information