Thread: ZXR 250 cam chain replacement

Bike
    2007 Kawakaki GPX

Cool ZXR 250 cam chain replacement

Hi all, I have a 1991 zxr250c engine with the top end apart. I have most of the parts i need now to start putting it together including a new cam chain. I don't think its necessary to replace it but I thought what the hell, may as well. However, I can't find anything in the workshop manual about replacing the cam chain specifically. It seems like it should be simple but being a amateur, self taught, home garage mechanic I thought I would ask first this time :P

Is there anyone here who has done this on a zxr 250 before? Any tips would be great.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27046285_10214037611990943_1056600126_o.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	334836  

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    line up the marks on sprockets. open end of clip trailing.

shoulda been at tdc before you pulled it down. if not you're fucked now.

Bike
    2007 Kawakaki GPX
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    line up the marks on sprockets. open end of clip trailing.

shoulda been at tdc before you pulled it down. if not you're fucked now.
    It was at tdc when I pulled it down but I have rotated the crankshaft since. Still fucked?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesfo View Post
    It was at tdc when I pulled it down but I have rotated the crankshaft since. Still fucked?
    a) why? b) well, yeah, you're gna have to get it back to there...
    i don't know these engines specificially, but marks will be your friend. you did mark everything, eh?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Leave him alone Akzle.

Don't split the chain. The sprockets are marked and it's quite simple to retime the cams with the engine at TDC 1 & 4.

The problem as I remember it is that there's a piece of bottom case which acts as a guard if the chain was ever to break. I think this stops you being able to simply slip the new chain on. People have backed off case bolts enough to open the cases far enough to replace the chain. Not good practise IMO, too much can go wrong.
    I think now that if I was changing the chain on an assembled engine, I'd probably cut that piece of case away. I've never seen one of these chains break anyway.

So pull all the ignition bits off the end of the crank - they're keyed and only go on in one place - and the pickups off the case too. Have a look at how much room you've got to work with.

Bike
    2007 Kawakaki GPX
    Hi Grumph. I definitely won't be splitting any chains, the one I've bought is endless. I'm not able to slip the chain over the plate with the timing marks on it so it seems my only options are to split the crankcase or grind some of it away as you say. I'll look into the second option further. I bought the chain on a whim, found it pretty cheap on ebay, so I'm not too concerned if it doesn't get done. Thanks for the tips! Are you familiar with the zxr250s? If I have any other questions could I ask you directly?

Thanks again

Bike
    Exercycle
    Happy to offer advice. I've done a couple over the years, back when they were fresh grey imports. Another source is the Aussie based 250cc forum. They're dead keen on the little kawas there.
    Be warned - you'll find a couple of guys there who will advise you to split and re-rivet the camchain. Personally, I've done this numerous times with roller chains - but won't do it with Morse type chains like this one. Too easy to stuff it up.

Thread Information