Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ditching Sky TV. Your experiences / advice?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by far queue View Post
    Yesterday I went to Harvey Norman and got a Panasonic DVR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Does your computer plan have a data cap? One of our kids ditched Sky and went down the Netflix and Lightbox route. He has no data cap but unfortunately where we live, we're on wireless with a cap. .
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    depending where you live you dont need a freeview box at all/we get a good signal from Mt kaukau and with nothing moe than a cheap indoor uhf aerial we get a good picture.I am assuming you already have a freeview capable tv.As someone has already said you can buy a freeview box with dvr built in.our older freeview tv has a hard drive attached to it,can record straight off it,no programmeable record though.I only keep sky for the sport and the wife watches a few movies and we use the on demand sometimes.Bloody expensive for what it is though
    Our Samsung smart tv doesn't have Freeview so we need to buy a set top box. Don't seem to be a wide range though.
    We're on a 120gb internets plan and we'd probably stay on that initially. Only another $10 to go to unlimited if we needed to.
    Because the dish would stay, we'd just carry on using that rather than get an aerial. My sister did that with no problems.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike

Supplementary question

Any recommendations on a set top box? We'll get a decent one but they do seem to be pretty much of a muchness.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Not being a sports fan I have saved heaps never needing it in the first place. Maybe people if they are finding it too expensive they look for other interests although many other interests are not cheap either.
    Mate, if you think Sky TV is an expensive interest, perhaps you should try working...

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Any recommendations on a set top box? We'll get a decent one but they do seem to be pretty much of a muchness.
    Sell the TV that needs it an just get one with it inbuilt, separate boxes end up being so much fucking around with more remotes and AV input channels and audio pass through...

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Our Samsung smart tv doesn't have Freeview so we need to buy a set top box.
    Are you sure? I’m pretty sure Freeview pre-dates smart tvs...although it’s probably only UHF built in (not satellite). Panasonic do smart TVs with both built in nowadays eg. http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and...iAAEgLQO_D_BwE

Haven’t had sky for yonks but rugby (and cricket) lost their appeal to me due to complete oversaturation so meh. I did do the season pass on Fan Pass for formula 1 but then they canned after one year and then priced Fan Pass out of reach for anyone sane.

Netflix has good stuff on it but if you’re prone to bingeing you get through it pretty quickly. Freeview is mostly all fake “reality” series (apologies to the president Donald) but if you have a PVR you can pick out the good stuff and scrub out the ads - my Panasonic DVD recorder has done sterling service for the last decade or so doing just that for me. Having said that, you might as well go ‘on demand’ for those if you have good internet and forget broadcast tv altogether (still get ads but many,many fewer).
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Any words of wisdom before we say goodbye to my friend of the last 20 years or so?
    Say: Friend. Although you are moving on, I will keep in touch with your cousin at the local pub now that I have 95 bucks to go to the pub with.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    ...reality tv, talent quests, cooking competitions etc is fuckwit central. Don't watch tele much now.
    Wot 'e saith.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    We've got the predecessor to this.....

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and...-recorder.html

Can record 2 channels of shit while you watch a third channel of shit, twin tuner means it should take a sattelite feed if you can't be arsed sorting out an aerial.

We just got a new panasonic tv which has netflix and the tvnz and tv3 on demand apps built in, so you can dial up what you want to watch whenever it suits.

If I didn't like watching the sportsball and car racing I'd ditch sky completely, the rest of the content is mostly crap, and anything we want to watch we record so we can skip the endless ads for the crap on the other channels.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I often find myself disappointed by the movies I can not find available on Netflix. I hear about some movie I'd like to watch, go check on Netflix and get a list of movies "related" (Mum, Dad Cuzzie?) to what I am after. Which ain't what I want is it?

Sky is much cheaper if you get it via vodafone. Course you have to be able to tolerate dealing with Vodaphoney, who in my experience are a bunch of mother-fucking bastards.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Sky is much cheaper if you get it via vodafone. Course you have to be able to tolerate dealing with Vodaphoney, who in my experience are a bunch of mother-fucking bastards.
    We're with Vodafone for reasons of history. Their service is mainly shit and on a recent trip to Kenya and Tanzania, their failure to deliver a promised service had the potential to cause a major issue. We've only stuck with them since then because they're down the priority list of things I prefer doing.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Not being a sports fan I have saved heaps never needing it in the first place. Maybe people if they are finding it too expensive they look for other interests although many other interests are not cheap either.
    How was your appointment with the vivisectionist?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    you're a fuckwit. go away and die.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    also tv is the jew indoctrination. and you can expand your consciousness by not alowing yourself to be dumbed down on that vibe.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    We have a Panasonic, has its own hard drive for recording and plays DVD and BLUERAY disc's. Also other family members have ended up buying Panasonic, very easy to use and have a seperate Netflix button on them nowadays if needed.
    flashg

Thread Information