Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ditching Sky TV. Your experiences / advice?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike

Ditching Sky TV. Your experiences / advice?

As the title says, we're looking seriously at ditching Sky. $95 a month and we're not really using it heaps. Other domestic expenses have increased so we need to make some savings somewhere.

Any words of wisdom before we say goodbye to my friend of the last 20 years or so?

We are looking at getting a good Freeview box that will pretty much replace the MySky functionality.

Yes I like my sport channels but I won't die without them.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Laptop + Netflix = Goodbye Sky.

Seriously.

We ditched it 2-3 years ago as it was just too expensive - I recently stayed a week with the In-Laws (who have Sky - with all the bells and whistles) - Discover has turned to Shit, Nat Geo has turned to Shit, CI has turned to Shit, the History channel has turned to Shit.

I think during that entire time - there was 1 movie and one documentary that I actively wanted to watch.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Refused to have SKY - fucktards.

Lightbox or Nexflix are good. Had Lightbox for some time now and enjoyed by all the family.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    We dropped TV when it went digital. We never bothered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    We dropped TV when it went digital. We never bothered.
    But the quality of picture is soooooo much better

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    I phoned sky to disconnect 5 months ago, but as they're really keen not to loose more customers, they instead disconnected all the sky channels, leaving me to keep using the sky box to record all the freeview stuff at no charge. This was to remain in place for 6 months, when I could then return the sky box and complete the disconnection, or they would start charging me again on the assumption that I wanted to resume with them.

This week I got a bill from them for $33 for rental of the Sky box only, and still with no sky channels – this to be paid in Feb. Yesterday I went to Harvey Norman and got a Panasonic DVR – super easy to set up and use and has better features than the sky box. I’m now recording all new stuff on the new box and finishing up watching the remnants of the sky box, which I’ll return next week.

There’s plenty of stuff on freeview that I like, but I record everything, so I can fast forward the adverts etc. I can watch the 6 o’clock news in 20-30 mins depending on how much crap there is on it that I’m not interested in. Netflix etc don’t interest me.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    Sold
    Does your computer plan have a data cap? One of our kids ditched Sky and went down the Netflix and Lightbox route. He has no data cap but unfortunately where we live, we're on wireless with a cap. Wouldn't be able to watch much without hitting the limit.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    depending where you live you dont need a freeview box at all/we get a good signal from Mt kaukau and with nothing moe than a cheap indoor uhf aerial we get a good picture.I am assuming you already have a freeview capable tv.As someone has already said you can buy a freeview box with dvr built in.our older freeview tv has a hard drive attached to it,can record straight off it,no programmeable record though.I only keep sky for the sport and the wife watches a few movies and we use the on demand sometimes.Bloody expensive for what it is though

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I have a DVD recorder which I was unable to use because I didn't have an aerial. It is supposed to function as a Freeview box. Now I have a new aerial and it is 4K capable which is apparently a new thing coming that will catch some people out.

I don't know what I expected but the Freeview channels are disappointing. Netflix would make it better, but it's still lacking. Is it Spark gives you Lightbox free? My main sports interest is MotoGP and that could be had for about NZ$150 per year Netflix is $120 to 150 per year approx. All of which adds up to a fraction of the $1200 plus I pay for Sky.

If money gets tight changes will be made.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I have a DVD recorder which I was unable to use because I didn't have an aerial. It is supposed to function as a Freeview box. Now I have a new aerial and it is 4K capable which is apparently a new thing coming that will catch some people out.

I don't know what I expected but the Freeview channels are disappointing. Netflix would make it better, but it's still lacking. Is it Spark gives you Lightbox free? My main sports interest is MotoGP and that could be had for about NZ$150 per year Netflix is $120 to 150 per year approx. All of which adds up to a fraction of the $1200 plus I pay for Sky.

If money gets tight changes will be made.
    if you can get freeview on a uhf aerial it is quite good definition.Not sure its 4k though.THe uhf is better than the satelite can get freeview recorders forr both formats

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Got rid of it early last year. Miss the rugby a lot and the odd movie.

Couldn't believe how bad the plebs channels got whilst I had sky, reality tv, talent quests, cooking competitions etc is fuckwit central. Don't watch tele much now.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    S1000RR
    I can't believe their business model.

You pay to watch. Not cheap either. Over $1000 a year for TV shows. Really???
    You still have to watch adverts, which is about 50% of the time.

I used to pirate TV shows and movies but now I dedicatedly pay Netflix about $18 a month for unlimited 4K movies on demand to myself and 3 other family members.

Fuck Sky. Couldn't believe people investing in their shares, when it's gently coming down like a glider.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Does your computer plan have a data cap? One of our kids ditched Sky and went down the Netflix and Lightbox route. He has no data cap but unfortunately where we live, we're on wireless with a cap. Wouldn't be able to watch much without hitting the limit.
    Also important. Reason why Netflix works in my household is because we all have unlimited super fast internet.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Got rid of it early last year. Miss the rugby a lot and the odd movie.

Couldn't believe how bad the plebs channels got whilst I had sky, reality tv, talent quests, cooking competitions etc is fuckwit central. Don't watch tele much now.
    Moved and downsized just over a year ago - don't have TV any more - actually enjoying life more without it - Sky seriously are difficult to get rid of!

Like you, major rugby and other sports fixtures cause a bit of a re think but remembering the difficulty parting with SKY quickly solves that!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    As the title says, we're looking seriously at ditching Sky. $95 a month and we're not really using it heaps. Other domestic expenses have increased so we need to make some savings somewhere.

Any words of wisdom before we say goodbye to my friend of the last 20 years or so?

We are looking at getting a good Freeview box that will pretty much replace the MySky functionality.

Yes I like my sport channels but I won't die without them.
    Dude, you have the internet. You don't need a TV.

TV shows have never been better. But TV as a product has never been worse. The only sport I watch is motorcycle racing, with the occasional bit of car, monstertruck and NHRA drag racing. All of it is free if you know where to look.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    good point. We are on a VDSL soon to be fibre connection and will have unlimited.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information