Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake declaration: What to do/mesure/record

Bike
    2005 Honda Shadow

Brake Dec form

Anyone can do it the bike brake declaration, and I certainly wouldn't be paying for some peanut at the bike shop to do it, more likely to get it back fucked up somehow. As previously mentioned, minimum disc thickness is usually stamped around the outside edge of the disc, and minimum pad thickness should be in the workshop manual, otherwise measure the pad where the slot is in the middle as the minimum, and then the whole pad as the thickness. Easy peasy. The form doesn't ask for dealership / bike shop name, the person filling out the forms' qualifications or registered number etc, as long as someone ( anyone ) has done it, if the shit hits the fan later they can say "Joe Bloggs has signed here saying he measured it so nothing to do with us". It's all an arse covering exercise, so do it yourself and save $$ and potential hassles.[/QUOTE]

Would you know where I can get a copy of this form?
    Have not been able to track one down

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by antoni0 View Post
    Anyone can do it the bike brake declaration, and I certainly wouldn't be paying for some peanut at the bike shop to do it, more likely to get it back fucked up somehow. As previously mentioned, minimum disc thickness is usually stamped around the outside edge of the disc, and minimum pad thickness should be in the workshop manual, otherwise measure the pad where the slot is in the middle as the minimum, and then the whole pad as the thickness. Easy peasy. The form doesn't ask for dealership / bike shop name, the person filling out the forms' qualifications or registered number etc, as long as someone ( anyone ) has done it, if the shit hits the fan later they can say "Joe Bloggs has signed here saying he measured it so nothing to do with us". It's all an arse covering exercise, so do it yourself and save $$ and potential hassles.
    Would you know where I can get a copy of this form?
    Have not been able to track one down[/QUOTE]

ask a peanut at a bike shop maybe?

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R

Brake declaration Auckland

Hey guys,

Need a little bit of help with getting a brake declaration sorted in Auckland.

I picked up a deregistered Hyosung GT250R a while back, which I'm putting on the road to use as a commuter.

I'm based in Auckland, and VTNZ in Parnell (my closest centre) said they require a signed brake declaration from a garage before they'll look at it. So I went and tried a nearby bike shop, they don't do the brake declaration for whatever reason and sent me to another shop who said it would be $130, but they won't touch my bike because it's a Hyosung.

The bike has been completely overhauled over lockdown including new pads, brake fluid, and the original discs are well above the minimum thickness.

1. Does anyone know of someone/somewhere that will do the brake declaration on a Hyosung? (Preferably in central Auckland).

or

2. Does anyone know of a compliance centre that isn't as picky and will accept the form if I fill it out myself? Or even somewhere that does the brake check as part of the compliance test?

I'm not from Auckland so I'm a bit green on where to go. The bike is mint and will fly through otherwise, I've just come unstuck getting over the final hurdle.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tano View Post
    Hey guys,

Need a little bit of help with getting a brake declaration sorted in Auckland.

I picked up a deregistered Hyosung GT250R a while back, which I'm putting on the road to use as a commuter.

I'm based in Auckland, and VTNZ in Parnell (my closest centre) said they require a signed brake declaration from a garage before they'll look at it. So I went and tried a nearby bike shop, they don't do the brake declaration for whatever reason and sent me to another shop who said it would be $130, but they won't touch my bike because it's a Hyosung.

The bike has been completely overhauled over lockdown including new pads, brake fluid, and the original discs are well above the minimum thickness.

1. Does anyone know of someone/somewhere that will do the brake declaration on a Hyosung? (Preferably in central Auckland).

or

2. Does anyone know of a compliance centre that isn't as picky and will accept the form if I fill it out myself? Or even somewhere that does the brake check as part of the compliance test?

I'm not from Auckland so I'm a bit green on where to go. The bike is mint and will fly through otherwise, I've just come unstuck getting over the final hurdle.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    The wording in the Virm is " must be carried out by a competent person"
    If that you then you can do it if the compliance Centre agrees that you are competent

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Tano View Post

the brand of brake pads can be questionable, when they originally were planning this they asked for submissions from brake pad importers, some didn't bother and as there is no paperwork on line they aren't always compliant.

Thread Information