Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: '97 ZX9R - Whine at 80km/h

Bike
    my little pony
    The original front sprocket has a rubber liner on the inside to reduce ringing vibrations. Are the rear wheel spacers in the proper sides. FWIW I have 98 C1 ZX9 that I still have owned since 99. If the rear cush drive rubbers are worn you should be able to rock the sprocket carrier back and forward, they make a squashing popping sound at low speed if they are worn, and you wont hear them at higher speeds reacting to torque torture. Can you put it on a paddock stand, well tied down and run the revs up in gear to listen for the noise. Another option is to be pushed on the road in neutral so the chain and wheels are rotating. We used to achieve this by having a mate on another bike pushing us from behind using a straightend leg on the passenger peg as they are not towed and there is no physical connection. We used to get broken trailbikes home this way in our young dumb and broke days while we were still at High school
    When bearings make noise they tend to run hotter, so if it is not gearbox output shaft related something must be warmer than usual. Also check the rear brake caliper pins.

Bike
    1996 registered 97 Kawasaki ZX9R B4!
    The front sprocket in it at the moment is a SunStar and it has 511 stamped into it. Unsure if this is still original, or if it has been changed. But I have not changed chain or sprockets since owning it since 2005.
    I took the sprocket cover off today and cleaned it out, was a bit gross in there, but nothing too serious.
    The sprocket doesnt look worn to me.

Pictures here:
    http://i68.tinypic.com/nd8odk.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/29xvsk2.jpg

The rear sprocket doesn't move, its solid.

Bike
    my little pony
    I replaced the original front sprocket for a knock off without a rubber liner, has been fine for 20,000 ks so your new one should be fine. Mines at about 48ks i think, still on original rear sprocket, by replacing chain and front sprocket early the rear has not hooked. Front sprocket can be a bitch to get off, centre nut usually needs an impact gun.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by WanaGo View Post
    If all that fails ill order the output shaft bits.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
    Henry Ford once said... "Diagnose, don't guess". Bring it to us for a quick spin/listen.

Pete @ Boyle Kawasaki.

Bike
    Various things
    The sprocket doesnt look worn to me.

Pictures here:
    http://i68.tinypic.com/nd8odk.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/29xvsk2.jpg

The rear sprocket doesn't move, its solid.
    Can't see properly from the pics...but the wear on the sprocket and chain looks like it's had a rear wheel alignment issue maybe.

Bike
    2001 zx9
    Crasher is on to it ... Diagnose it properly (piece of cake !) rather than burning up time and money on random possibilities .....

Bike
    Certainly have tried - throwing money at things is not like how I like to do things.

2 Bike shops so far have failed to figure it out.
    I called Pete, potentially will take it over there tomorrow and see one of them there can figure out where its coming from.

Bike
    Various things
    I called Pete, potentially will take it over there tomorrow and see one of them there can figure out where its coming from.
    Yeah mate. Drop it in, and at some stage during the day, I'll get a couple of the boys to take it for a spin, see if we can suss it. But IF you have to change the output shaft bearing...it'll be $$$$$$. But pretty rare for one to fail, unless as has been said, the chain has been way too tight.

Bike
    Thanks mate - ill try and come in about 10am tomorrow if that suits. I am out in Tawa.
    Really apprecaite the help.

Yeah if it needs changing I think I will have to do it myself, but we shall see. I think I have the list of parts and gaskets sorted that I need to get in (if it is that), and then its just a case of taking it apart and following the book and my nose. Never done one, but should be able to work through it no problem.

Cheers

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Yeah if it needs changing I think I will have to do it myself, but we shall see.
    Are you aware that replacing the output shaft bearing will more than likely require pulling the motor out and splitting the cases?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Are you aware that replacing the output shaft bearing will more than likely require pulling the motor out and splitting the cases?
    Yes

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It certainly does, but yep, he knows. Opps. Beat me to it. See you tomorrow mate.

Bike
    my little pony
    Yes

good luck with that, hope it is not serious. The only prob I have is with serious carb icing, that is why it is the #2 bike.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    good luck with that, hope it is not serious. The only prob I have is with serious carb icing, that is why it is the #2 bike.
    Cheers
    Yeah hoping Pete comes back saying "Its 100% the back wheel bearings" or "Its 100% the carrier bearing" or "Its 100% the front wheel bearing" - haha.
    Ah well, if it is output shaft, then so be it. Be 'nice' to strip the bike down anyway, want to take the headers off and rust treat them, and then high temp paint them. And the last place that serviced my bike completely rounded off the head of the oil pipe feed bolt, which you need to remove in order to get the oil filter out. Its totally rounded off, like they did it up so tight it stripped the head in the process. Have to take the subframe off and headers off to get a straight line at it and get a bolt remover onto it, or drill it out and ezy out it. Damn annoying.

Anyway, fingers crossed the sound gets ID'ed tomorrow

Wheel bearings and new brake pads arrived today.

Bike
    Thanks heaps Pete and co at Boyles, you guys are awesome. Got a few things to try now.

Came back from the shed this evening to find my bike just 'magically' came apart, ready for the weekend
    Time to sort out the stuff i have been meaning to do for a long time.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e2ac72500e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4ae43f31cf.jpg

Thread Information