Thread: Carrying a compressor in the tail bag.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Carrying a compressor in the tail bag.

I've had a compressor in the tail bag for about 8 years or so I guess without ever having to use it, apart from regular pressure adjustments. Until today.

Recently I put a new tyre on the back and had the shop install a right angle valve stem to make it easier on the odd occasion when I use a servo air pump. Just to match things up I put an Oxford after market similar device on the front.

This morning before going out I checked pressures which were all fine. Set off for the ride and within 3km was aware that all was not well with the front tyre. Bike wanted to fall over in any corner. So parked on the side of the road and checked the front pressure. Sure enough, only10psi. Had a look at the Oxford bit and found it a little loose on the valve stem. Air must have been pissing out of the valve. So tightened it back up and got to use the tail bag compressor on the road for the first time. All good after that.

What I don't quite comprehend in why the tyre hadn't leaked before now if the extension was not fully secure. Guess I will have to look at that every time from now on. Or at least until I get a real one put into the front.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Handy things to have thum pressure thingys.
    I'd only get a shop fitted properly inserted right angle valve stem these days, too many of the simple screw on ones do leak!
    Glad it's finally paid for itself, ride on.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information