Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre metric "normal" nut and bolt size

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Try playing with Jeeps.... Some nuts are imperial, others are metric. And to top it off, bolts are a mix of metric, imperial and torx! I have ended up with three tool sets.

Mitre10 has better selection than Bunnings. Repco and Supercheap Auto will both have imperial sockets.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    They taught us that antiquated shit at school, I still use it sometimes or relate the measurements between the two

1 thou = 0.0254 mm
    I find it useful working on the Norton, with my George Formby famous TT Racer and Musicians record on...

He was hard on gear too...
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    bandit
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    bunning etc ussually sell only sets...but i will def have a look!
    Mitre 10 (especially the Mega versions) usually have single sockets - in fact there was a discussion here about it because someone needed 28 and 30mm sockets and wanted low entry ramps on them because their wheelnut was only 6mm high.... they ended up using Bahco ones from Mitre 10.

I had a look when I was in there for something else and they look good. I really rate Bahco stuff - I've got socket sets and files and saws which are really good value for money I reckon.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R100GSPD
    you fellas are a mine of(mostly) awesome advice!

Bike
    bandit
    having maintained old British cars and bikes, German built bikes and Japanese bikes, I have three rows of ring spanners on my shed wall - AF, Witworth and Metric - a spanner for every occasion ..

I like to throw them into the works ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Mitre 10 (especially the Mega versions) usually have single sockets - in fact there was a discussion here about it because someone needed 28 and 30mm sockets and wanted low entry ramps on them because their wheelnut was only 6mm high.... they ended up using Bahco ones from Mitre 10.

I had a look when I was in there for something else and they look good. I really rate Bahco stuff - I've got socket sets and files and saws which are really good value for money I reckon.
    Bunnings, Mitre 10, Super Cheap, Repco - I've sourced spanners and sockets wherever I can ..

Bike
    Yo momma
    I bought a bucket motor (The Rat) from Ken Steadman and it had at least one example of every type of thread known to man. Not one bolt head was the same as another.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    I bought a bucket motor (The Rat) from Ken Steadman and it had at least one example of every type of thread known to man. Not one bolt head was the same as another.
    was ken in the airforce too lik ejimmy, they were probably vey expensive bolts. remember him racing the ohakea gp on a g4tr kawi, in a dinner suit with saddlebags, he won but it looked real funny, were gret meets on the little base roads, matched the bikes real well

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    was ken in the airforce too lik ejimmy, they were probably vey expensive bolts. remember him racing the ohakea gp on a g4tr kawi, in a dinner suit with saddlebags, he won but it looked real funny, were gret meets on the little base roads, matched the bikes real well
    Dunno about any of that but it did come with a Holden HQ heater core for a radiator.

Thread Information