Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: BOOS Hurting Us

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    [QUOTE=release_the_bees;1131083614]

Not that it's a bad thing, but I find myself constantly riding with at least a four to six second gap in front of me, so that I never have to panic brake and risk being flattened by the vehicle following too closely behind.
    [QUOTE]

Doesn't work here... a four to six second gap will be filled with impatient drivers/riders before you can say, "1, 2, 3, Cock Robinson!"
    "I don’t understand your special kind of STUPIDITY but I do admire your commitment to it.” (Morgan Freeman)

Bike
    Honda Harley Suzuki Velocette and shit
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    That's my biggest frustration with the driving population in general. It's no exaggeration to say that 90%+ of those on the road are following too closely to the vehicle in front, and don't even get me started about wet weather following distances.

Not that it's a bad thing, but I find myself constantly riding with at least a four to six second gap in front of me, so that I never have to panic brake and risk being flattened by the vehicle following too closely behind.

During the morning commute, it's not really even an option to let the tailgater past, because they're just replaced by another tailgater - there's an endless stream of them! One morning, it was raining, so I maintained a four second gap. In the lane next to me, my four second gap was populated by three vehicles. No wonder there's so many multiple vehicle nose to tails - in fact it's amazing that there isn't more of them.

...+2...there are other almost, national traits, but 'safe following distance' seems to be one that they don't seem to have put much thought into...possibly the first to report a bunch of 'crazy' motorcyclists to ..whoever...it's why I stay at home more these days, grey and colder days are not too far off in the future, thank fuck...

Bike
    F800ST and R1200RT
    [QUOTE=Daffyd;1131084822][QUOTE=release_the_bees;1131083614]

Doesn't work here... a four to six second gap will be filled with impatient drivers/riders before you can say, "1, 2, 3, Cock Robinson!"
    That's the justification for following too close that everyone uses.

"If I leave a gap someone will fill it"

So what? Someone you don't know, driving a car you'll never see again, takes the space ahead of you.

Here's a novel idea. Let the knob have that space, and take your safety back by giving the knob 2 seconds gap behind him.

I challenge everyone who attends my courses to leave a 2 second gap all day and count the number of cars that steal your gap. It's never as bad as you'd think.

And the benefit of following too close (
    Protecting your space) doesn't justify sacrificing the benefits of leaving a 2 second gap.

Bike
    Of course I agree... I was just stating what happens here.
    "I don’t understand your special kind of STUPIDITY but I do admire your commitment to it.” (Morgan Freeman)

Bike
    A little yellow one
    [QUOTE=rastuscat;1131085022][QUOTE=Daffyd;1131084822]
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post

That's the justification for following too close that everyone uses.

"If I leave a gap someone will fill it"

So what? Someone you don't know, driving a car you'll never see again, takes the space ahead of you.

Here's a novel idea. Let the knob have that space, and take your safety back by giving the knob 2 seconds gap behind him.

I challenge everyone who attends my courses to leave a 2 second gap all day and count the number of cars that steal your gap. It's never as bad as you'd think.

And the benefit of following too close (
    Protecting your space) doesn't justify sacrificing the benefits of leaving a 2 second gap.
    No argument from me RC, a safe following distance is the best form of insurance a motorist can give themselves. It's really just an attitude

A motivational speaker called Dennis Waitley called the road rage/tailgate phenomenon "surrendering your life to stranger" and he wasn't far wrong me thinks.

Plenty of wannabe truckers have the "I can never leave a decent gap in front of me or some tosser will drive into it" speech down pat. When you actually make a habit of leaving 4 to 6 seconds in front of the rig, it turns out that yeah on occasion some Richard Cranium will dive into it, yet for the most part the drive just becomes a lot more chilled out. But hey, what would I know? Still learning...
    If the words I say offend you, imagine the ones I keep to myself...

Bike
    One of the worst problems here is a stupid law that states the most vulnerable road user is the most protected, ie a motorcyclist hits a pedestrian, he's at fault, regardless of the fact that said pedestrian may have just stepped out in front of him, leaving him no room to stop. Same applies with car/motorcycle, truck, bus/car and so on. It tend to make pedestrians think they are invincible!

I had an experience where a grandmother was walking her 3y/o grandson across a busy road and she was teaching him to put his hand up for me to stop. Luckily I was riding; imagine if it was an 18 wheeler. Can a three y/o judge the stopping distance required by an 18 wheeler?

BTW, I had a 6 second gap in front of me.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    One of the worst problems here is a stupid law that states the most vulnerable road user is the most protected, ie a motorcyclist hits a pedestrian, he's at fault, regardless of the fact that said pedestrian may have just stepped out in front of him, leaving him no room to stop. Same applies with car/motorcycle, truck, bus/car and so on. It tend to make pedestrians think they are invincible!

I had an experience where a grandmother was walking her 3y/o grandson across a busy road and she was teaching him to put his hand up for me to stop. Luckily I was riding; imagine if it was an 18 wheeler. Can a three y/o judge the stopping distance required by an 18 wheeler?

BTW, I had a 6 second gap in front of me.
    there are places in [insert philanthropic forward thinking european nation like sweden] where they've removed all signs, lights, road markings etc.

and there's india.

so, like. fucken deal with it. or stop driving/riding.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    there are places in [insert philanthropic forward thinking european nation like sweden] where they've removed all signs, lights, road markings etc.

and there's india.

so, like. fucken deal with it. or stop driving/riding.
    I'm not complaining, I am dealing/have dealt with it, CUNT! I was merely pointing out what happens in other parts of the world!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    well. that escalated quickly.

I'm not complaining,
    One of the worst problems here is a stupid law...
    whatevz nigga.

Thread Information