Thread: Bike to lams approval

Bike
    Kawasaki z750

Bike to lams approval

Hey my fellow bikers
    Has somebody made some experiences with getting his bike to the lams list ?
    How many chances would i have with a suzuki gsf600s from 1997 ? And how long will it take me ? How often do the cops looking up this list, when they pull you over ?
    Thanks a lot for all information

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I don't believe it works that way. How are you going to restrict engine power down enough to meet power to weight requirements? Who would be able to certify that? Hence only manufacturer bring in bikes with varying performance restrictions from the factory. For example, Yamaha MT-07 can be bought as LAMS (655cc engine and throttle restrictions) or full (689cc engine with no throttle restrictions).

Bike
    98 F650
    You can't get a gsf600 onto the LAMS list as it exceeds the power to weight limit of 150kW/tonne. A 600 bandit is around 280kW/tonne so as I said last night you'll need to find a bike with about half the power.

Going through the process of adding a bike to the LAMS list would only really happen if you are importing a suitably powered bike that is a rare model or hasn't been imported into NZ before, therefore may have been left off the approved list. A gsf600 is not such a bike, sorry, keep looking.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Bikes don't get exemptions. You can apply for an exemption to ride non-LAMS bikes, but those are only granted in exceptional circumstances. Like, a bike that has been adapted for medical reasons, so you can ride it with one arm.

Here's a tip. A lot of cops have no clue as to what a LAMS bike is.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    You can get a bike added to the LAMS list, but it's a mission.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Bikes don't get exemptions. You can apply for an exemption to ride non-LAMS bikes, but those are only granted in exceptional circumstances. Like, a bike that has been adapted for medical reasons, so you can ride it with one arm.

Here's a tip. A lot of cops have no clue as to what a LAMS bike is.
    But insurer know everything. And cross reference to the list of approved bikes for the type of license related to them. Its all good till proverbial hits the fan.

Just wait and get a full license buy a lams approved bike ride it for 12 months and then sell it then ride your gsf600 problem solved! Your Welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bike
    xt660r
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    You can get a bike added to the LAMS list, but it's a mission.
    it really isn't.

if the bike is compliant, and you can provide some evidence, it is really easy.

if the bike is not compliant, or you can't come up with evidence, then you might be out of luck though

I got the Yamaha xt660r added to the list ("xt660 RY" was on the list, but "xt660R" was not, therefore not LAMS)

i filled out the form, attached a copy of the brochure from yamaha containing the specs (weight, power etc)

was on the list in less than a week, and most of that time was waiting for a reply from NZTA, as soon as they got around to my email, they added it to the list.

Thread Information