Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for motorcyclists to stop 'lane splitting' overtaking after 10 riders die in Jan

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    ... Care to show me the number of riders killed whilst lane splitting?
    Are you saying NO Motorcyclists have been killed lane splitting ... ???

Considering the Motorcycling fraternity's distaste of WRB's ... one might ask how many Motorcyclists have died from hitting one ...

More Motorcyclists have been injured (at least) lane splitting than those hitting WRB"s
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Are you saying NO Motorcyclists have been killed lane splitting ... ???

Considering the Motorcycling fraternity's distaste of WRB's ... one might ask how many Motorcyclists have died from hitting one ...

More Motorcyclists have been injured (at least) lane splitting than those hitting WRB"s
    I'm not saying anything of the sort. I know a certain KB member that got dismembered by a wire rope barrier. Don't know of any that died lane splitting.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I'm not saying anything of the sort. I know a certain KB member that got dismembered by a wire rope barrier.
    A (as in one) member .. ???

I know of one that died after hitting one ... but NOT because he hit one ...

Don't know of any that died lane splitting.
    You don't know ... so it didn't happen then .. ???

But I know of a few that did. I doubt if they were the only ones ...

Bike
    Various things
    A (as in one) member .. ???

I know of one that died after hitting one ... but NOT because he hit one ...

You don't know ... so it didn't happen then .. ???

But I know of a few that did. I doubt if they were the only ones ...
    You can twist any answer any fucking way you like. I couldn't give a shit.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    You can twist any answer any fucking way you like. I couldn't give a shit.
    As the "Powers that be" would probably class any lane splitting accident as an overtaking incident (feel free to argue) ... you might be hard pressed to find out how many there actually were.

Twisting or using reverse logic ... ??? A moot point but do we really give a fuck .. ?? It was MY point of view ... and my post was not mean't/intended to prove you wrong.

I spent a few years in the Wellington region on motorcycles ... and saw quite a number go down after lane splitting on the motorways. I've also seen a few clobbered by overtaking cars coming the other way on the Paekakariki highway.

Those WRB's in the center seem to have stopped most of that now. Nobody mentions (or knows) how many (motorcyclist) lives those WRB's have saved.

The blood stains on the tarmac from friends is never a pretty sight. And I've seen a few. I'm guessing you have too ...

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    And Motorcyclists are not allowed to overtake on the left of vehicles in their lane ... and the picture in the article seems to show them doing so.
    What picture are you looking at ??? To me it looks like a motorcyclist in his own space in the right hand lane (possible lane splitting implied )might be a different story if it ACTUALLY showed the rider BETWEEN two cars but clearly this picture does not,

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WNJ View Post
    What picture are you looking at ??? To me it looks like a motorcyclist in his own space in the right hand lane (possible lane splitting implied )might be a different story if it ACTUALLY showed the rider BETWEEN two cars but clearly this picture does not,
    Cassina might say ... you're being semantical ...

No pictures ... didn't happen ... right ..??

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Well here's the headline of the article *Call for motorcyclists to stop 'lane splitting' overtaking after 10 riders die in January *. Care to show me the number of riders killed whilst lane splitting?
    Decent journalism died years ago with the internet and has been replaced by three minute wonders.

I picked up on exactly the same thing as you and the editor should have. They imply ten motorcyclists died this year from lane splitting. Which is lies.

And carry on to fail to state if even one died by lane splitting. They have rolled two MC accident related topics into one article without clear separation.

Both subject matters are worthy of decent writing.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Balanced bugger off??

The whole thing falls on its arse because the link between dangerous overtaking and lanesplitting just isn't there.
    So a question? how many people have died doing what the guy is doing in pic one? Splitting in moderate to heavy traffic?
    That is his supposed cause of the "Eight motorcyclists and two pillion passengers were killed on New Zealand roads in January"
    I suggest fuck all or none.

You cant ban something that is unrelated to the deaths?
    Case closed you honor the facts arn't balanced and the argument floored.

His own article even disproves his lane splitting accusation
    "and most motorcycle fatalities occurred at intersections, Matthew-Wilson said."

I guess written by a car driver with little understanding of riding just pissed off he has to sit in the que

Other than that bikers should get their shit together, in that he's correct only about the high road toll figure.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I lane split for miles every day and I know which riders to let pass me and I keep a distance from them. A few go a tad too quick and tad too close to cars. I have once stopped to pick up a rider who got knocked down while splitting. That was a long time ago so on averages us Wellington splitters seem to be doing OK.

Twice this week another rider has split passed me closer than I would consider polite and it does gives you a bit of a surprise when you can't hear them approaching. I know in my car it is not easy to see them coming up in you mirrors sometimes. Just 'zoom' and they're gone. I'm probably more likely to get clipped by another bike than a car.

I agree with Crasher the headline was anti bikes and misrepresented the facts. Some of the favourable comments surprised me though. Even the smelly Lemon guide prick was actually supporting bikes.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    How would that information affect the content and meaning of the article.

Higher ACC levy's than other vehicles give us no excuse to ride dangerously. If we do ... we only prove their point ... as ACC levy's are based on their belief (with good reason) that motorcycling is dangerous.
    The way I read that item about $$$, gave me the impression that we are not paying our own way and are a financial burden to the hospital system. I suspect many more dollars are collected that expended...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    The road toll is a tragedy.

The Herald story probably does not present the facts and tries to link lanesplitting and overtaking.

I see lane splitting as risky, you can minimise the risk by doing it carefully but you can't control the dozens of cars you pass.

Overtaking is risky as any time spent on the other side of the road exposes you to oncoming traffic.

They are correct in that motorcycle riders need to take some ownership as you have to ask yourself " would I do this in a car"

if the answer is no your probably taking on a greater level of risk.

We have all seen them spliiting at speed, riding with shorts, T shirt and little else, riding in groups a metre apart.

Hard to say about the ACC levy as bikers in the older age bracket are on higher salaries than say the under 25's who

traditionally bought them back in the day.

My mate said he was out riding on Old North Road and a peloton of motorcycles came around a 'slow' corner Moto GP style.

He said it did not really leave much room for error.

Be careful out there and remember as my Dad used to say " better dead late than late dead" ( especially going to work).
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    The road toll is a tragedy.

The Herald story probably does not present the facts and tries to link lanesplitting and overtaking.

I see lane splitting as risky, you can minimise the risk by doing it carefully but you can't control the dozens of cars you pass.

Overtaking is risky as any time spent on the other side of the road exposes you to oncoming traffic.

They are correct in that motorcycle riders need to take some ownership as you have to ask yourself " would I do this in a car"

if the answer is no your probably taking on a greater level of risk.

We have all seen them spliiting at speed, riding with shorts, T shirt and little else, riding in groups a metre apart.

Hard to say about the ACC levy as bikers in the older age bracket are on higher salaries than say the under 25's who

traditionally bought them back in the day.

My mate said he was out riding on Old North Road and a peloton of motorcycles came around a 'slow' corner Moto GP style.

He said it did not really leave much room for error.

Be careful out there and remember as my Dad used to say " better dead late than late dead" ( especially going to work).
    The road toll is a fucking miracle. How many overtaking procedures are completed every day without killing anyone?

The whole shock outrage thing is utterly asinine, and it's symptomatic of the sort of road rage induced imbecility that is completely immune to any form of rebuttal. And I hate the fact that this is simply the shape of our society, that ill informed memes are what drives actual policy.

The only possible response to any of this populist shit is a dignified anarchy. Fuck em.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 2008, 650ER

Call for motorcyclists to stop 'lane splitting' overtaking after 10 riders die in Jan

Did you read the article in Stuff (Link below). Basically, because most bikers die in intersections, they want lane splitting to stop.
    What are your thoughts?

Link: https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/new...die-in-january
    If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be......

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Yeah read that. There was no mention of how many accidents have resulted from lane splitting.

Lane splitting is one of those situations where I feel the least bit intimidated or least bit at risk.

Thread Information