Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is NZ fuel a new level of shit?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    My local Mobil dropped 95 octane and went to 98 only about a year ago. So I decided to try 91. After all, the book says I can use anything 91 and up.

I keep a log book of fuel use so have some records of all the fuels used.

Absolutely no change in fuel consumption changing from 95 to 91 in the year's trial. No measure of power but it seems to be the same as well, to me at least.
    I use 91 in the FJ. I did have a 6 month spell on 95. I used to keep a log of ride routes/fuel stops and fuel used ... usually between .2 and .5 of the amount of fuel used at the same fuel stops on the same route. The only increase was a trip into a strong nor-wester ... and about an extra liter was burnt.

The only noticeable change in the 91/95 choice was the cost.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    And some arse at BP asked me to take my helmet off. I asked him if he would ask the same of a Muslim in a turban, he just took my money and shut-up.
    Yes, this happened to me at a BP in Linwood, they even have a no helmet sign on the door. The other BP in a "better" part of town don't have the sign nor did they ask me to take it off.

Cheers

Bike
    Various things
    Have you had the choke plungers out? Sounds like a running issue we had with a 900 Monster. They're the same as Yamaha TRX's, and we had one of them fault the same as well.

Bike
    XR650R
    Hi, I was going to say yeah 91 octane fuel sucks, but then I clicked you said you set pilots idle mixture screws leaner by closing them 1 turn, I believe said Ducati came with mikuni cv type carbs- to lean the pilot you should have to open pilot screw as it operates an air jet not the fuel side, you have effectively richened your mixture, try opening your settings back to 3 1/2 turns

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I hate carb problems, especially when you have 4 of them. But the pre-emissions Jap bikes with carbs are sooo nice to ride.

I wouldn't run a Euro vehicle on 91 as their lowest octane fuel is 95. But it doesn't sound like that's your problem. Are the float needle valves OK - have a good look at the needle tips? Float levels correct?

Assuming they are CV Mikuni carbs, then the pilot screws control the flow of fuel/air mixture. Turning the screws out increases the flow, making the idle / low speed mixture richer.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    sure its not electrical?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Thread Information