Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My poor bike

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09

My poor bike

Went to work, parked in my usual spot in the street opposite work (dedicated motorbike parking).
    Came out to swan off early to a (birthday) lunch, bike felt a little strange but off I tried to set [lunch was calling!]

Errrrrr, wrong answer. Bike stalled. Huh? Looked at it and realise there's damage. Look closer. More damage. Cancel lunch. Call ins. co, roadside assist for a tow truck, etc. Hopefully just knocked over, right, and needs a couple of new levers.

The biker who owned the one parked next to me comes up while all this palaver is going on. He arrived not too long before I tried to leave for lunch, my bike and scooter were both on the ground so he picked them up (he didn't know what happened although thought it was weird the bikes were 'together' ie hadn't both fallen the same direction).

We look closer and find much more damage - looks like knocked over then run over. The whole front of the bike is out of whack, handlebars over an inch off centre, rim scratched, brake disc bent and broken, on top of all levers and pegs bent/broken, etc. Of course, there's no note, no nothing. Ring the cops to see if any CCTV footage covers the area and can help identify the perp. Talk to local shop owners in case they have security cameras (nope). Tow truck comes, bike won't even roll to go up the ramp, so gets dragged up (poor Suzi ).

Do a little digging (it really pays to know people) and found out late last night that it was a concrete truck. It must have come round the corner, clipped my bike, then run over her, and clipped the scooter on his way through. Didn't feel a thing, didn't realise - but at least I can go after the guy/company so I don't have to foot the insurance excess.

What are my chances she gets written off rather than repaired?

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Happy birthday. Or perhaps, not so happy after that.

If the repair costs to get it back to its pre-accident condition are high enough, it will be economic write-off. Anywhere around 2/3rd is mostly in that territory.

Have it taken to a proper shop (dealer, if you are under warranty) and let them itemise everything, including accessories damaged. You'll be surprised how quickly it adds up. Any frame damage? Twisted forks? Seat torn? A good shop that notes everything is going to help you.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    It's gone to Holeshot (which was organised by insurance/roadside assist). 2017 Suzuki SV650, less than a year old

Tow truck dragged it onto the truck and shop had to remove callipers to get it off the truck Looked like only front end damage, but I will be pushing for write off. My helmet was in the top box so that's had a fair jolt as well and will be added to the claim.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    A "concrete truck" is not a very good description.I hope you have at least a company name.Good luck

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    dude that sucks!

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Went to work, parked in my usual spot in the street opposite work (dedicated motorbike parking).
    Came out to swan off early to a (birthday) lunch, bike felt a little strange but off I tried to set [lunch was calling!]

Errrrrr, wrong answer. Bike stalled. Huh? Looked at it and realise there's damage. Look closer. More damage. Cancel lunch. Call ins. co, roadside assist for a tow truck, etc. Hopefully just knocked over, right, and needs a couple of new levers.

The biker who owned the one parked next to me comes up while all this palaver is going on. He arrived not too long before I tried to leave for lunch, my bike and scooter were both on the ground so he picked them up (he didn't know what happened although thought it was weird the bikes were 'together' ie hadn't both fallen the same direction).

We look closer and find much more damage - looks like knocked over then run over. The whole front of the bike is out of whack, handlebars over an inch off centre, rim scratched, brake disc bent and broken, on top of all levers and pegs bent/broken, etc. Of course, there's no note, no nothing. Ring the cops to see if any CCTV footage covers the area and can help identify the perp. Talk to local shop owners in case they have security cameras (nope). Tow truck comes, bike won't even roll to go up the ramp, so gets dragged up (poor Suzi ).

Do a little digging (it really pays to know people) and found out late last night that it was a concrete truck. It must have come round the corner, clipped my bike, then run over her, and clipped the scooter on his way through. Didn't feel a thing, didn't realise - but at least I can go after the guy/company so I don't have to foot the insurance excess.

Sounds like it is fucked. Better you get it written off, they are never the same after a bash like that.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Being less than a year old, ask for it to be repaired back to new condition. It is basically new. I would ask for it to be written off as repair would devalue it unless damage was just superficial and cosmetic.

Bike
    A
    Sorry to hear your sad news.

As has been said before, if it's written off and replaced with new, that's likely best outcome.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

all depends on the insurance assement guy they send to look at the bike.

All on the price of parts expensive plastics . but more the labour.
    So thats why i brought accident bikes of tradme . non them have been insurance write offs though . way i look at other than frame been slighty out of whack . normally not actually broken esp with spar alloy frames like battle ships.

back in 1981 bike shop asked me weather i wanted it written of. well not sure they where more saying if it was a option . or just letting me know why it was . be good they offred you the bike . if was written off . but after they pay out its there bike.
    Anyways be good to have a new bike after . i found you soon get to love the new one its just a machine after all . its good to have new bike your get to exp something diffrent.

you chould always all ways buy it back . but its a bit early to worry about it.
    Just see what they say. i imagine it should be a quick enough descion.i had a pay out and another bike in a month i was on my new bike.might been quicker cant remember . maybe 2 weeks.

alot bikes end up on the turners site either on tradme or i visted they yards to see what bikes they have locally . that guy on tm star sells bikes de regestred and his go for better prices.and he lists
    more whats needed good pics etc.

In any case i thought your bike shop if its there or insurance branch they used to have sites to store bikes cars . before assesment . Know a days proberly a tow truck yard again secure (very) so no worries there . storage cost isnt your resbonsablity thats down to insurance company thats why u pay the big premums . so dont worry well try not too. to much . to others your clothing and helmet are covered too. my father was aloowed to view my bike so i assume . well no u have ever right to view your own bike as you legally own it. as you can view its still in same condtion it was when you saw it last. get any personall proberty .key rings even . or house keys.

Anyways my first call be to your insurance company better still go vist them. they will hunt down any
    way they can recover there money so leave up to them to track down the company . no harm in you knowing in case they talk the excess . i guess some are always set . but as the bike was clearly damaged when was parked id be qwestioning that too. anyways talk first to the company .
    it should be all hassle free for you anyways i cant see being a issue.
    They want your biz with the new bike in anycase .

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It usually depends on your insurance policy. If it was for an agreed value ... that's what you'll get. If no agreed value was set (in writing) ... it will depend on the estimated cost to repair by the assessor. Usually ... about two thirds of the bikes value is the maximum they will pay for repairs. If the assessment for repairs is more than that ... the bike is written off. They then (usually) pay you the bikes insured value less the excess.

READ YOUR POLICY and/or contact your insurance Coy to confirm where you stand. I am surprised you haven't done that already.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=HEsch;1131083679]Went to work, parked in my usual spot in the street opposite work (dedicated motorbike parking).

to make it real clear.

what i whould do is get a father mother friend . anyone who knows has the experice. to act as a agent on your behalf. to ring on your behalf.

they can read your contract do all the talking you whould only have to agree the final terms .

two examples my bike claim my father did all the talking when it was my bike claim . in the 80,s i just did what he said to do to the letter. what to say.

few years ago i did the same for him. insurance claim on his house. i rang did the claim over the phone . the claim was over replacing the guttering. it was to stolen . few mins to but the claim in . then guy they got to replace the item rang . offered me two options . replace with the same . copper. or option going with colour steel . and he drop the excess . i chould of being dads agent just said okay go with the steel . i said that sounds good. but then i just said i go ask my father . first he agreed so just rang back and said yes . all done.

So its just up to you . you can get advice deal with it or get someone to do it all for you. your agent is just flash term for a freind family member who has the knowlede to deal easily with the claim.

two examples , my bike claim ,my father did all the talking when it was my bike claim . in the 80,s i just did what he said to do to the letter. what to say.

few years ago i did the same for him. insurance claim on his house. i rang did the claim over the phone . the claim was over replacing the guttering. it was to stolen . few mins to but the claim in . then guy they got to replace the item rang . offered me two options . replace with the same . copper. or option going with colour steel . and he drop the excess . i chould of being dads agent just said okay go with the steel . i said that sounds good. but then i just said i go ask my father . first he agreed so just rang back and said yes . all done.

So its just up to you . you can get advice deal with it or get someone to do it all for you. your agent is just flash term for a freind ,family member who has the knowlege to deal easily with the claim.

Like fj rider said agreed value or replacement in both my examples one was agreed value my bike was agreed value of 3,100 that was the bikes new price i paid . and waht i covered for . normally the pay out what the price you get if you had sold it on market value. unless its full replacement .
    then its what it cost to go to bike shop and get like for like . or if its not avaible a direct and fair replacement ie a honda 500 for a honda 500 curently avaiable new .

His claim was relacement value for the items inside the house and the outside contents covers the extra ,s if you like .

With my second hand scotter I insrure it for 1,200 athough i paid 750.00 for it because thats what i think its worth . athough they can pay what they think is market value at the time .
    I get this poilcy as its cheaper . i chould set the value at 750.00 as thats what it cost me insurance per year be slighty cheaper. you can get a quote on each value and work out whats best for you.
    I personally think my bike worth more than 750.00 thats why i insure it for more . but again thats just opion on my behave not what the insrance company will pay out. unless they agree thats right.

I never had any hassle and should be plain sailing theres nothing here complicated. and poilcys know days are very easy to read and understand.

You sound Like a clear thinking sound judgement the rest is taking your time thinking things over never rush .your be fine what do you want from this. then go from there.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    ...Tow truck comes, bike won't even roll to go up the ramp, so gets dragged up (poor Suzi )...a concrete truck. It must have come round the corner, clipped my bike, then run over her...
    Oh the humanity sounds like a write off might be the best result (depending on compensation of course)
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Who is your insurance policy with? The Vero Golightly one replaces the bike if under 12 months. And from your description it would be a given under that policy.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    To be clearer, I have contacted insurance, so there's no concern there. Bike is fully insured with Star (via KiwiBike), I spoke with them who said it is easier if written off as they can have the payout sorted within a week, quicker than waiting for repairs.

I have someone looking into the CCTV footage (in case there is anything that can show what happened/prove who did it), I do have to file a police report 'for the record'. Another contact is getting the concrete/construction company name on Monday (sheer luck to know people who know people, else I would not have had any leads on the possible perp).

Bike was towed to Holeshot for assessment, also Monday (I rang today and left them more info ie run over by a truck - a big difference to being knocked over or hit by a car). They noted they had to remove the callipers to unload it off the truck as it wouldn't roll. I noted I'd be very happy to see it written off should damage be suitably significant.

This only happened early Friday afternoon so Monday is perfectly reasonable. It's a long/extra long weekend, I don't expect anything to happen in a hurry. Hence coming here, this is the first major prang any of my vehicles are in, plus its my first bike, I don't know how likely it is to be written off so wanted to see what the hive mind thought. I don't know what repairs can be so don't have a feel for whether it is significant enough to write off.

My contact has already noted that the company will be sorting the excess so I'll let the insurers play the blame/money game. I do have a halved excess (500 instead of 1000) because I completed a RideForever course AND told the ins. co. about it, which would really help if *I* end up footing the excess bill for some reason.

Policy has the same 12-month replacement clause noted above, however, I may just be out of luck depending on exactly when first registered (I bought it in March 17 but it was registered before that).

All in all, pretty shit birthday. Missed my lunch AND my bike is screwed. But if I get a new one it'll be a good replacement birthday present, ha!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    There may have been several concrete trucks and the one that hit your bike may have been driving under pressure to keep up with the group.

Thread Information