Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life in the Slow Lane

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750 SD 2007 Buell XB12Ss

Life in the Slow Lane

When the last of the little group I rode with at the time reached age 70 we discussed what we could do now to prolong riding for as long as possible and might get even more enjoyment from it. Over a typically two-hour cafe lunch during our weekly group ride, we came up with the following suggestions and agreed to try them and then hold a review a month or so later.

Ride slower. This would be a new experience. It would allow us to take in more of the scenery. It would eliminate the chance of being ticketed for speeding. It would place less demand on our much slower reactions, poorer eyesight and hearing.

Stop more often. On a day ride, stop for 'morning and afternoon tea', a leisurely lunch, and if something of special interest cropped up.

Stop at all intersections. That means for STOP signs, GIVE WAY signs and when there are no rule signs. It gives time to look around carefully and slowly and lessens the need to look back over a shoulder with stiff necks.

When the review was held we all agreed that our rides had become more enjoyable, less tiring and less stressful.

We had already been keeping pace with traffic flows but when alone on country roads now we often cruise along at 80 or 90 km/h and love it. Such a change of pace would've been un-imagineable a few years ago but somehow we all made it to old age by a combination of skill and luck.

Our group rides are typically for three to six and we have few rules: We don't overtake each other; we ride at least 70 or 80m apart but always keeping the light of the following rider in sight; when stopping at an intersection we stop abreast, not in line astern, and we don't leave the group without telling another member. It works.

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    Hey Graham, I like the way you think old timer.

Too many street Rossi's out there giving most of us a bad name.

I'm just a young whipper snapper compared to you, but if i'm ever down your way, i'd love to ride with you old geezers (I say that affectionately of course).

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Funnily enough on the our weekly rides, we ride in staggered formation, ,resulting in a nicely bunched but ,well spread out group, we usually have a ride leader, who rides at 90 KPH and we've never lost a rider yet.
    We meet once a week on a Thursday night and we ride off at 7pm, ride for approx 1 - 1.5 hrs and stop somewhere where we can all fit in and tell ever bigger and bigger lies. The emphasis is not on speed, but getting to our destination, seeing whats around us and taking the time to smell the roses.
    It Works, we love it, thanks Graham for reinforcing our discovery and promoting it as an alternative to simply riding fast and hard.
    Come again.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Sold
    Hi and welcome Graham from someone who hit 70 last year! Still managing to get out and have fun though All the best for the years to come!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Not quite 70 yet (although it is in sight) and your "rules" make a lot of sense to me.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Funnily enough on the our weekly rides, we ride in staggered formation, ,resulting in a nicely bunched but ,well spread out group, we usually have a ride leader, who rides at 90 KPH and we've never lost a rider yet.
    We meet once a week on a Thursday night and we ride off at 7pm, ride for approx 1 - 1.5 hrs and stop somewhere where we can all fit in and tell ever bigger and bigger lies. The emphasis is not on speed, but getting to our destination, seeing whats around us and taking the time to smell the roses.
    It Works, we love it, thanks Graham for reinforcing our discovery and promoting it as an alternative to simply riding fast and hard.
    Come again.
    But aren't group rides dangerous? Isn't anyone trying to keep up the pace?

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post

Stop more often. On a day ride, stop for 'morning and afternoon tea', a leisurely lunch, and if something of special interest cropped up.
    Especially like this - I/We will generally stop every 80 odd km for a break as I/We generally start to go on auto=pilot around this time

Good post

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Too many street Rossi's out there giving most of us a bad name.
    I am sure that stopping at a give way sign when it is clear there is nothing coming will make things up.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I fall into your age group plus a bit and I found downsizing to be a good answer to my/our aging problems-I dropped from a 280KG, litre bike,with way to much power progressively down to a 150kg 400cc.Adopted semi sedate riding,the bike still does 130 comfortably,and have a great time smelling the roses.Yesterday I did the Ride Forever Silver Course,I was the oldest there by 15 years and still saw one guy drop his bike while stationary,fail to stop at a stop sign,hit 120 on straights and 80 at the corners and sped up when I tried to pass-jeeeezzzus.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I fall into your age group plus a bit and I found downsizing to be a good answer to my/our aging problems-I dropped from a 280KG, litre bike,with way to much power progressively down to a 150kg 400cc.Adopted semi sedate riding,the bike still does 130 comfortably,and have a great time smelling the roses.Yesterday I did the Ride Forever Silver Course,I was the oldest there by 15 years and still saw one guy drop his bike while stationary,fail to stop at a stop sign,hit 120 on straights and 80 at the corners and sped up when I tried to pass-jeeeezzzus.
    Who did you do the Silver course with (instructor) BK? We are thinking of doing the Gold again in April, IIRC.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Who did you do the Silver course with (instructor) BK? We are thinking of doing the Gold again in April, IIRC.
    I think that Lance Goulsbro (senior traffic sgt, Whangarei) still does them under the ProRider umbrella.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I think that Lance Goulsbro (senior traffic sgt, Whangarei) still does them under the ProRider umbrella.
    Yup, Lance did the Gold course with us a few years ago in Whangarei. Steve Russell was doing it up here in the Bay of Islands but apparently no longer.

Lance is exceedingly good value! We had a great day with him.

Oh, thoroughly enjoyed our courses with Steve, too.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I am sure that stopping at a give way sign when it is clear there is nothing coming will make things up.
    Risky way to check whether following traffic is alert...

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Like this

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11987677

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I use that intersection most days, there is a speed reduction to 70kmph just a few hundred metres further along, I have often thought that having the servo, and a busy café/restaurant and bar at that intersection that reducing the 100kmph limit to 70 maybe a good idea.

The other ridiculous bit of signage reduces a not suitable for 100kmph limit road down to 70kmph just as you arrive at a T junction, which happens to be right next to the Westmere school.

Thread Information