Thread: 2012 Fireblade.

Bike
    Blade '12

2012 Fireblade.

Haven't been doing much riding lately but on the last couple of rides when I switch it off it squirts about 50ml of coolant down in the region of it's sidestand.

WTF?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Haven't been doing much riding lately but on the last couple of rides when I switch it off it squirts about 50ml of coolant down in the region of it's sidestand.

WTF?
    Given your lack of riding recently you are probably riding terribly and that is the bike pissing itself when you stop.

By chance is the water pump near the side stand - or can you trace the piddle trail to the water pump? If it's been sitting for a long time a seal or similar in the pump may have packed a sad.

Work out where it is coming from - it may be as simple as giving a hose clamp nut a half turn to stop the leak.

Bike
    Blade '12
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Given your lack of riding recently you are probably riding terribly and that is the bike pissing itself when you stop.
    Hadn't thought of that possibility but oh so true.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hadn't thought of that possibility but oh so true.
    Does the cooling system not have a catch bottle of some sort .. ???

How often do you check the fluid levels .. and has it been needing a top-up .. ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

WTF?
    http://www.1000rr.net/forums/1000rr-...lant-leak.html
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Blade '12
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Does the cooling system not have a catch bottle of some sort .. ???

How often do you check the fluid levels .. and has it been needing a top-up .. ??
    Thanks FJRider. Yes it has a reserve tank across the frame low down near the back wheel and the coolant seems to be coming from it's overflow.

Bike
    2012 Fireblade

WTF?
    Same bike same year
    Same dribble occurred a few times after i changed the coolant.
    Problem stopped when I let the coolant level settle by itself to its natural level - it's now midway between the "high mark" and the "low mark" - it no longer "dribbles" and has never overheated.
    Kept a close eye on it for ages but it has stayed at this level
    I think the high mark is simply set too high!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Blade '12
    Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    Same bike same year
    Same dribble occurred a few times after i changed the coolant.
    Problem stopped when I let the coolant level settle by itself to its natural level - it's now midway between the "high mark" and the "low mark" - it no longer "dribbles" and has never overheated.
    Kept a close eye on it for ages but it has stayed at this level
    I think the high mark is simply set too high!

Thanks for that. Mine's just had a service and the coolant level is a smidge over max so maybe I'll just keep an eye on it and let it settle down.

On a separate note... the guy who designed the location for the cap on the reserve tank needs a boot in the goolies!

Bike
    A
    Thanks for that. Mine's just had a service and the coolant level is a smidge over max so maybe I'll just keep an eye on it and let it settle down.

On a separate note... the guy who designed the location for the cap on the reserve tank needs a boot in the goolies!
    Not much better on most modern faired bikes. On the Busa the level is easy enough to read, but adding coolant requires a partial undress...

Bike
    my little pony
    Without removing the swingarm to get to the reservoir bottle, I use a vacuum pump. If the bottle keeps filling up it could be a faulty radiator cap, losing vacuum when it cools down and not drawing the expanded volume back to the radiator.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Not really directly related.

i recently noticed a smell of coolant on my bike. It had not been really used a lot. Burning coolant type smell and a hot whif of boiling coolant.

the overflow bottle was nearly empty but the radiator was full.

got a new radiator cap (spare parts people suggested this was a good first start, after that servicing at the shop)

checked all lines ok, no holes or loose connections. I have a radiator guard fitted so checked that too. Cleaned top of radiator cap location and seal land. Wiped seal of cap with coolant and installed.

filled bottle to just over full line, ran bike and some coolant dribbled out the drain.

make sure bottle cap is firmly inserted correctly.

seems ok now as I check bottle level after cooling down after each ride.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Yeah they will spit a bit out until it finds its level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Blade '12
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    Without removing the swingarm to get to the reservoir bottle, I use a vacuum pump. If the bottle keeps filling up it could be a faulty radiator cap, losing vacuum when it cools down and not drawing the expanded volume back to the radiator.
    :-) Never thought of taking the swingarm off... talk about lateral thinking! I have a tiny funnel with a length of hose on it but getting the cap back on is a biyatch.

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    :-) Never thought of taking the swingarm off... talk about lateral thinking! I have a tiny funnel with a length of hose on it but getting the cap back on is a biyatch.
    I also use a funnel and long hose
    To get the cap back on - spend 5 minutes on the cap followed by 10 minutes ranting raving and kicking shit everywhere!!
    Repeat till finished.

Bike
    Blade '12
    Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    I also use a funnel and long hose
    To get the cap back on - spend 5 minutes on the cap followed by 10 minutes ranting raving and kicking shit everywhere!!
    Repeat till finished.

Followed by... "is that fucker on properly. I'm 98% sure but if that mfkr comes off I'm going to be a really sorry asshole"

Thread Information