Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using Hazard Lights

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Using hazard lights on a moving vehicle...
    I've seen vehicles being towed (and the towing vehicle) using their hazards ... definitely a use I approve of.

Too much use of them reduces the noticeably of them. A bit like high-vis gear really ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I've seen vehicles being towed (and the towing vehicle) using their hazards ... definitely a use I approve of.

Too much use of them reduces the noticeably of them. A bit like high-vis gear really ...
    A very practical, legal, example of hazard lights use. The OPs intent was none of those

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750 SD 2007 Buell XB12Ss
    Thanks for the responses, both positive and negative, however I will continue to use hazard light as I said because I'd rather get a ticket than a coffin, or in the case of reversing a car, hit a pedestrian in a supermarket car park or have a repair to deal with.

The Road Code doesn't say you shall not use hazard lights at various times but rather that you should use them only at certain times. Should is a conditional word and not an ordering one. Shall is an ordering word.

About 35 years ago I was stopped by a cop because my bike had two headlights going, something unheard of at that time. He pointed out that the law said that a bike shall have one headlight. I argued, successfully that my bike did have one headlight and that the law didn't preclude me from having two. Now if the law had said only one headlight he'd have been right. Maybe the writers of the present Code chose the word, should, knowingly?

Bike
    A
    An aspect to consider might be two words "best practice" and possibly not what you were expecting

Legalities aside, do what you wish. My view is that using hazard lights as described is a passive form of safety. If it works for you, great. I'd favour active safety, growing my following distance, assuming I couldn't just scoot to a forward safe area.

Good to hear you're still riding at a mature age though

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    Maybe the writers of the present Code chose the word, should, knowingly?
    Unlikely given how relatively unimportant they are in the scheme of things. But if people start putting them on a few seconds before they brake or indicate to give them a comfort zone or when they are changing radios stations I imagine the word should might get replaced with shall.

Thanks for the responses, both positive and negative, however I will continue to use hazard light as I said because I'd rather get a ticket than a coffin, or in the case of reversing a car, hit a pedestrian in a supermarket car park or have a repair to deal with.
    Not sure I understand what you mean with the reversing car comment. Is that you driving it wanting to give more warning than the reverse lights do which are designed for that express purpose? If so you probably want to get air horns fitted so you can lean on them just in case the pedestrian has failing eye sight, better safe than sorry.

Sorry, I am being sarcastic but I just don't get it. The New World car park would be like a disco.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... or in the case of reversing a car, hit a pedestrian in a supermarket car park or have a repair to deal with.
    Hazard lights do not remove the onus of responsibility from the driver in such cases. Those that choose to ignore you and your hazard lights (and most will) ... have the right to lay a complaint with Police if you hit somebody. Your use of hazard lights will be no defense.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    I've got them on the 1290, but never used them. Could see them being useful if I want to leave motorists guessing as to whether I'm over or undertaking.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Is that you driving it wanting to give more warning than the reverse lights do which are designed for that express purpose?
    I would have thought that the reversing lights are designed primarily so that the driver can see where he's going when he's reversing at night.

The fact that they warn others is, surely, an added bonus.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r

problem is that a vehicle that is being towed with hazard lights on can't indicate......

not a good idea
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    problem is that a vehicle that is being towed with hazard lights on can't indicate......

not a good idea
    If only ONE has the hazards on ... shouldn't be an issue ...

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    If only ONE has the hazards on ... shouldn't be an issue ...
    bullshit...

much safer to see where the bloody thing is heading

from either end
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    bullshit...

much safer to see where the bloody thing is heading

from either end
    It's probably hard to get out of the way of them on a harley ... wear high vis gear and they might see you better before they go to pass you.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

not a good idea

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........
    From the New Zealand Road Code.

Only TWO examples given.

Cassina should have them hardwired ON ...

Hazard lights
    When you turn on your hazard lights, both indicator lights flash at the same time as a warning to other road users. You should only turn on your hazard lights when your vehicle becomes a temporary hazard to other road users, such as when:

you're changing a tyre on the side of the road
    your vehicle has broken down and is being towed.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    They start to come on as soon as it starts to rain here. Bloody annoying!

And, of course, illegal!
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I would have thought that the reversing lights are designed primarily so that the driver can see where he's going when he's reversing at night.

The fact that they warn others is, surely, an added bonus.
    Its actually the other way around. Reverse light is there to indicate to other road users that you are now reversing. They are not designed to assist the driver with adequate light. If they were, they would be near the same light intensity as the headlights.

Thread Information