Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Using Hazard Lights

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Its actually the other way around. Reverse light is there to indicate to other road users that you are now reversing. They are not designed to assist the driver with adequate light. If they were, they would be near the same light intensity as the headlights.
    Absolute rubbish! They don't need to be as bright as headlights because the vehicle cannot travel backwards at highway speeds!
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    A
    Its actually the other way around. Reverse light is there to indicate to other road users that you are now reversing. They are not designed to assist the driver with adequate light. If they were, they would be near the same light intensity as the headlights.
    In some ways it can be a bit of both.

For cars it's sensible to have reverse lights be illuminating the way somewhat, using hazard lights to reverse becomes a moot point.

For trucks it helps to have lots of light when reversing. Our units are set up to flick hazard and backing lights on when reverse is selected. The flood lamps on the tail end of most our trailers light up the path better than most motorbikes' headlights.

The OPs contention to use hazard lights the way he described, whilst well intended, is confusing to most road users

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    In some ways it can be a bit of both.

For cars it's sensible to have reverse lights be illuminating the way somewhat, using hazard lights to reverse becomes a moot point.

For trucks it helps to have lots of light when reversing. Our units are set up to flick hazard and backing lights on when reverse is selected. The flood lamps on the tail end of most our trailers light up the path better than most motorbikes' headlights.

The OPs contention to use hazard lights the way he described, whilst well intended, is confusing to most road users
    I have switched work lights, which I turn on when reversing in really dark spots.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I have never used my hazards, ever, in the 30+ years of being on roads. I don't see the point. If the weather is foggy, use the proper fog lights. Otherwise, normal lights are the order of the day.

Where I have used hazards is when broken-down on the side of the road.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Well we agree on one point...
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    I have never used my hazards, ever, in the 30+ years of being on roads.
    Where I have used hazards is when broken-down on the side of the road.
    Nah yeah.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I just about wore my hazards out this morning. We are suffering flooding as I type. On my way to work, just after dawn, I came across a lot of surface flooding and finally stationary traffic around a blind bend due to a lake, well, it's not blind if you're looking a few hundred metres ahead. The car behind me, no lights, was right up my chuff. I had no faith they were awake and used the hazards before I braked. It worked, they got the message sharpish. Bugger right and wrong, be seen and give warning is my motto. I think it's a courtesy, too.

Off topic. I doff my hat in the general direction of the 2 people commuting from Kerikeri on bikes this morning. Appalling conditions. I hope they are wearing the finest gore-tex wet weather gear and have fog free visors.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information