Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collarbone planes & screws

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by kawa64 View Post
    Damn that looks horrific, what caused it? Also you had the hardware removed after healed?
    It's pretty unique, so much so the orthopedic surgeon who repaired it used to take the files to seminars. It was one step away from amputation when it happened and it was caused by a disqualified driver and avoiding becoming a fatality (option one was get crunched & option two was take the best evasive action possible) still meant a short flight impersonating superman (flight went well & landing wasn't so good).

When that plate broke and my body started to reject it (as they do with foreign objects in them) I had a few months of in another cast until my immune system had regained some form of normality I had another set of metalware fitted & a second bone graft & some re-sculpturing done then 2yrs later that lot was removed and K-wires fitted & a couple more screws, more re-sculpturing of the joint etc and eventually that lot was removed 18mths further down the track. At the time the only other options were a total replacement from a cadaver or an artificial one, both these options had limited appeal.....possible major rejection of the cadaver elbow and the artificial meant multiple replacements & eventually having to get the elbow fused in place.

25yrs later it is what it is An elbow that articulates on fibrous tissue more than the joint itself & is technically still classed as broken, restricted ROM, a forearm that you could stick a knife in & I wouldn't feel it and the joint sounds like it's grinding concrete when I bend it and an impressive bag of surgical steel goodies

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    It's pretty unique, so much so the orthopedic surgeon who repaired it used to take the files to seminars. It was one step away from amputation when it happened and it was caused by a disqualified driver and avoiding becoming a fatality (option one was get crunched & option two was take the best evasive action possible) still meant a short flight impersonating superman (flight went well & landing wasn't so good).

When that plate broke and my body started to reject it (as they do with foreign objects in them) I had a few months of in another cast until my immune system had regained some form of normality I had another set of metalware fitted & a second bone graft & some re-sculpturing done then 2yrs later that lot was removed and K-wires fitted & a couple more screws, more re-sculpturing of the joint etc and eventually that lot was removed 18mths further down the track. At the time the only other options were a total replacement from a cadaver or an artificial one, both these options had limited appeal.....possible major rejection of the cadaver elbow and the artificial meant multiple replacements & eventually having to get the elbow fused in place.

25yrs later it is what it is An elbow that articulates on fibrous tissue more than the joint itself & is technically still classed as broken, restricted ROM, a forearm that you could stick a knife in & I wouldn't feel it and the joint sounds like it's grinding concrete when I bend it and an impressive bag of surgical steel goodies
    Did you ever get the chance to stab the cunt that did it to you?

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Did you ever get the chance to stab the cunt that did it to you?
    Worse thoughts than that went through my head when it happened, but he was the 1st maori I had ever seen change skin colour when I picked myself up off the road & started heading for him before getting grabbed by bystanders/witnesses

Thread Information