Thread: Got Back from The Burt

Bike
    Yamaha MT-09

Got Back from The Burt

Was an amazing ride down from Auckland to Invercargill. Probably something in the range of 1000 bikes descended on the town, such that in many places cars became the minority - it was an interesting perspective to see how many bikes could flow through an area and when a car blocked it up it seemed 'wrong'. There were some stellar performances in the racing, although they were a bit unorganized at the speedway events (really - you expect bikers to arrive on the road with paper ticket in hand...and no signs to indicate separate lines for those buying tickets versus already having) and the road race being cancelled after one run on the final day was a bummer (I can't fault them for deciding towards safety - you could see the oil all along the track from a bike that leaked).

For the last 2 weeks I've been surrounded by bikes, as the concentrations of bikes increased the hand waves as you ride by were cool until we all seemed to give up at the actual rally (as you'd be waving at nearly everyone).

Now I'm back home...I have an infringement in the post...was stuck in rush-hour traffic for an hour getting home...and I just want to be out on the road again.

Bike
    2013 Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubris View Post
    Was an amazing ride down from Auckland to Invercargill.
    Now I'm back home...I have an infringement in the post...was stuck in rush-hour traffic for an hour getting home...and I just want to be out on the road again.
    I just back home to Auckland from Invercargill, the event itself seemed to be very well attended and the move to Feb is like the right one. from the people I spoke to all had a good time.

I thought the beach racing was the highlight for me, the aussie that won the feature was impressive but the dude on the CBR1000 with knobblies bought a smile to my face on every lap. Teretonga the next day was a bit of a shambles. Need more of the top guys/bikes there racing.

I too am waiting for a ticket in the mail, was yours on the west coast Monday?

cheers

Bike
    Yamaha MT-09
    Actually I had an infraction waiting for me, for overtaking on the left in a bicycle lane which occurred 2 days before I left. I agree, the guy on the CBR who actually led at the end of the straight for the single lap race had me cheering for him.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo_akl View Post
    I too am waiting for a ticket in the mail, was yours on the west coast Monday?

cheers

Bike
    ES XTZ
    This guy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180209_173104.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	549.3 KB 
ID:	335228  

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubris View Post
    Was an amazing ride down from Auckland to Invercargill. Probably something in the range of 1000 bikes descended on the town, such that in many places cars became the minority - it was an interesting perspective to see how many bikes could flow through an area and when a car blocked it up it seemed 'wrong'. There were some stellar performances in the racing, although they were a bit unorganized at the speedway events (really - you expect bikers to arrive on the road with paper ticket in hand...and no signs to indicate separate lines for those buying tickets versus already having) and the road race being cancelled after one run on the final day was a bummer (I can't fault them for deciding towards safety - you could see the oil all along the track from a bike that leaked).

For the last 2 weeks I've been surrounded by bikes, as the concentrations of bikes increased the hand waves as you ride by were cool until we all seemed to give up at the actual rally (as you'd be waving at nearly everyone).

have always found oretipark to be extremely well organized with excellent racing to be had, normally at the burt most bikers walk across from the rally and in the past the tag on the lanyard was the entry ticket but with the way the burt is run now the clubs have to collect at the gate, to be fair there was probably close to 1000 more people at this years speedway than they have ever had before so being caught off guard could be understandable. the biggest disappointment for me was Bradley Wilson-Dean making a no show. as for Damien Koppe (the young ausie) that guy has some serious talent to take out most of the beach racing then to take out the final in the speedway on a bike that hasn't won a race for the last few seasons and a big ups to Jimmy Hannan for lending his bike.
    60 races run like clockwork
    back there this Saturday for the NZ Solo GP

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep was a cracker of an event! The beach racing was great and elements of the hill climb as well but the speedway oufits were by far the best entertainment! Kudos to the swinger who got knocked off and dragged for half a lap!
    I tagged in with a bunch of guys from auck from tekapo to geraldine, wasn't any of you guys was it!
    Anyway, re the infringements, we got waved down on the way there while we were sidetracking up to karamea. There were six of us and the front two of us were doing 150kmh along a big straight immediately south of the town. We got asked to produce licenses, wofs and rego and then were told to have a nice day! We did!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Yep was a cracker of an event! The beach racing was great and elements of the hill climb as well but the speedway oufits were by far the best entertainment! Kudos to the swinger who got knocked off and dragged for half a lap! I tagged in with a bunch of guys from auck from tekapo to geraldine, wasn't any of you guys was it!
    Anyway, re the infringements, we got waved down on the way there while we were sidetracking up to karamea. There were six of us and the front two of us were doing 150kmh along a big straight immediately south of the town. We got asked to produce licenses, wofs and rego and then were told to have a nice day! We did!
    That was Chris, he's o.k from that I work with him. Wasn't his usual steerman, that bike is for sale was great it was entered and suported by owner Stan.
    I watched the Speedway live stream. The drag racing the only event I could get to, enjoyed that.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    2013 Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    This guy....

yep that's the one

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    That was Chris, he's o.k from that I work with him. Wasn't his usual steerman, that bike is for sale was great it was entered and suported by owner Stan.
    I watched the Speedway live stream. The drag racing the only event I could get to, enjoyed that.
    yup. not the first time he been off the back, seen him get back on from similar position but he did look a tad sore after that one. hope daniel is ok and entered in the solo GP this weekend,

Thread Information